Lap Steel Lessons

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
B893A424-3B25-4F88-A489-FBCC86C9A0C0.jpeg
6177B1A1-FA97-4337-AB35-6EDE721BFCC6.jpeg
I think Mike Neer had some lessons. I downloaded stuff from a couple sites when I was learning mainly chords.
I got it out the other day and have forgotten nearly everything since 7 or 8 years ago.

wahoo91

TDPRI Member
Ad Free Member
I play lap steel and dobro and I’m learning pedal steel. For a beginner, open G and D are conceptually easier and great for rock and blues but if you’re looking to play Western swing or early country, C6 is the way to go. Don Helms used E13 on the Hank Williams recordings. I’ll second the recommendation for Troy Brenningmeyer. He covers open G, D, C6 and A6. Lots of helpful material on his site: https://www.lwtstreaming.com/

deano48

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I got a really dumb question? If I get the GHS strings for the C6 tuning, can you use the same gauge for all tunings?

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
I got a really dumb question? If I get the GHS strings for the C6 tuning, can you use the same gauge for all tunings?

Not necessarily. If you switch to too different a tuning some strings will be too slack, or too tight. I use different strings for C6 vs. open G/D/E, but I switch between the 3 latter tunings with the same set. Tuning up to E makes me as tense as the strings, but I haven't broken one yet. (And I wouldn't do that on a standard guitar, though some folks do.)

D.H.

deano48

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Not necessarily. If you switch to too different a tuning some strings will be too slack, or too tight. I use different strings for C6 vs. open G/D/E, but I switch between the 3 latter tunings with the same set. Tuning up to E makes me as tense as the strings, but I haven't broken one yet. (And I wouldn't do that on a standard guitar, though some folks do.)

D.H.
Thank you