Laney SS Amp / Speaker Questions

Tmcqtele65

Tele-Meister
Multi-part amp / speaker question here:

When I started playing guitar again a few years ago, I picked up a Strat copy and a solid-state amp at an estate sale. The amp is a Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb combo with a 10” Celestion speaker. I haven’t found any identical amps for sale on Reverb or eBay, but similar models do not seem difficult to find or particularly expensive. I’ve since purchased a Bassbreaker 15, and the Laney has only been used incidentally here and there at very low volumes for my bass and for an electronic drum set.

So question 1 – does anyone have any experience with this amp, and if so, what are your impressions? I remember liking the sound before I got the Fender tube amp.

I’ve just bought a Hartke 12” bass speaker, and I am going to – temporarily at least – install it into the Laney combo to make it a bit more suited to the bass guitar my wife and I will be playing through it as we “tinker”. The speaker I’m temporarily displacing is a Celestion G10S-50 4 ohm. When I did a bit of research into this speaker I got the impression that it is fairly well liked.

Question 2 – is this Celestion (G10S-50) speaker worth me holding it for a future tweed champ or deluxe kit build that I ultimately plan to try? Not sure when I will take on this project, but I do really want to try to build my own tweed from a kit. I was planning to buy only a chassis kit, and build my own cabinet.

Finally question 3 – if I eventually return the Laney to regular guitar use, should I just replace the temporary bass speaker with a 12” guitar speaker? The current baffle cut to hold the 10” speaker is no great work of art to preserve – I’d be improving it by cutting it to hold the 12”. I originally thought I’d make a new baffle so I could just put it all back together as it is now – but after learning that the Celestion 10” might be useful for me in the build-project amp I hope to construct soon, I’m less inclined to worry about putting it back exactly as-is.

Sorry for the long read – very interested in the responses.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Laney Linebacker were the budget line. The AOR being the premium tube one.
Being a 90's Uk made unit they sound okay and are of good build quality.

Keep it use it don't sink money into it.

andy__d

Tele-Meister
A Laney Linebacker 50 head and 2x12 cab was my go-to amp for years. YMMV, of course, but I liked its transistor overdrive sound more than a lot of other late 80s amps I tried.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
The Linebackers competed with the likes of the small Peavey amps such as the Envoy, or maybe a Bandit.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
The 10S isn't quite the nadir of Celestions but it's not revered. I wouldn't be saving it especially.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I don’t know the Linebacker, but if it has an open back, you may be disappointed in its bass guitar performance no matter what speaker you put in it. Keep in mind that if it has an open back, the Hartke speaker will be undamped and thus potentially more “blowable” than it would be in a closed or ported bass enclosure.

No reason not to try it though. Might be cool for low volume bass playing. A former bandmate got great results on a semi-acoustic home recording we did playing his Jazz bass into a mid-70s silverface Deluxe Reverb, at barely above conversational levels. Into the mic and On the tape, it sounded big, fat and warm.

I used a 16 ohm Celestion G10S-50 in a 1959-60ish tweed Valco combo for a long time and liked it quite a bit. The amp was probably 12-15 watts and sort of configured like a Pro Junior; one volume and one tone knob...but different tubes. Two 12ax7s, a 5Y3 rectifier and two 6973 power tubes.

Prior to that the G10S-50 was one of two of them I had installed into an old slot-ported Peavey 2 x 10 cab, wired in parallel for 8 ohms and driven by a Tubeworks RT-922 “Real Tube” rack preamp and ADA Microtube 100 power amp. I liked the speakers for that use too...bright and crunchy but not harsh.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
So question 1 – does anyone have any experience with this amp, and if so, what are your impressions? I remember liking the sound before I got the Fender tube amp.
My first thought was - - what are YOUR impressions?

You might be the way I've been with humbucking pickups for most of my guitaring life. I want to like "HH" guitars, but there is something missing. I know what it is. I'm a single-coil guy at heart, and I miss the upper end of the response, the ring and twinkle. I prefer not to use extreme equalization to get what I want from a guitar.

Maybe you know what you like and it's not in the Laney. You'll have to find the thing that has what you like. Shopping is fun. But as someone else said, don't get rid of this one if you don't have to. It's funny how, from time to time, we just want something different to play through.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
I have no experience with the Linebacker, but I had a GC30 that was loaded with an HH speaker, and I'd bet if you could find an HH for that Linebacker, you'd be very pleased.

Tmcqtele65

Tele-Meister
My first thought was - - what are YOUR impressions?

You might be the way I've been with humbucking pickups for most of my guitaring life. I want to like "HH" guitars, but there is something missing. I know what it is. I'm a single-coil guy at heart, and I miss the upper end of the response, the ring and twinkle. I prefer not to use extreme equalization to get what I want from a guitar.

Maybe you know what you like and it's not in the Laney. You'll have to find the thing that has what you like. Shopping is fun. But as someone else said, don't get rid of this one if you don't have to. It's funny how, from time to time, we just want something different to play through.
Good points. I got this amp at an estate sale along with the Strat copy that got me back into playing. I like it, but really don't know much about what I was listening to, so I was reaching out to the larger community of seasoned experts. I happened upon a deal for a Bassbreaker 15 that I've been playing through for a couple years now and absolutely love, so the Laney has just been sitting idle. It seems the consensus is that this is a decent amp....not the best.... nothing to be ashamed of. Definitely worth the $50 I spent.
I have no experience with the Linebacker, but I had a GC30 that was loaded with an HH speaker, and I'd bet if you could find an HH for that Linebacker, you'd be very pleased.
It appears this amp may be a worthy subject for doing what I am considering. I'll cut this baffle to fit the 12" Hartke bass speaker for now, and when I get something better and dedicated for our bass experimentation, I'll find a good 12" guitar speaker to fit back in... keeping this 10" Celestion for a tube project when I take that on.