Laney Lionheart Pack

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Colo Springs E, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

Hmm I guess you could usb to a pc for a basic output. Or you can di out to a recording interface like an m audio m track. Also you can go to a mixing desk. I think it just comes down to having plenty of features for different scenarios making it as versitile as possible. Might have a fart around with the DI tonight into my mtrack. Then into reaper. Se what kind of sounds I can pull out of it.

2. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Cool, I know using the usb you get a clean sound to one Chanel and an amp effected tone to another channel. The guys from laney emailed me last night and said usb was the best choice . There is an inbuilt interface in the amp. I am going to try it later today and see what it is like.

3. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

So I tried the usb plug ins ... it took me a while to get it up and going and involved some trial and error Also tried re-amping which is pretty fun! Think it highlighted how poor the instructions that came with the amp. I ended up getting some assistance from laney (who admittedly replied to all my emails promptly) and pestering some YouTube presenters. My main fear was damaging my amp but I finally got there ! I am not sure if I am doing things the most efficient way but it is working and sounding good so will try running my pedals through the re-amp feature next and see what combinations sound best.

4. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

Congratulations on wallowing through the mire on that one! You might just be the the new go to guru for all things recording related with this cracking amp. I still havent got round to plugging mine into my audio interface. Have come down with a heavy cold all week.

5. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Haha it was a bit stressful but I am sure you will work it out quicker then me! Otherwise happy to help out where I can. Hope you feel better soon!

6. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

Bump for the club thread. Just got the L5 head today, and gave it a quick try using other amp speaker to see if everything worked fine. It sounds great at very low night time levels!

I'm impressed with all the features this amp has, I need to read the manual. That USB output can be really useful for recording, and the 0,5w output will be very handy. I got the feeling that it's going to be crazy loud at 5w.

I have to find a cabinet for it, I’d like to use an 8” to keep the small format and leave the amp in the living room. Promising amp!

TheTruth and EuroBailey like this.
  7. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

I have been reamping a bit from this amp into garageband and using my pedals. It’s great fun... unfortunately if I have long breaks between recording And using the amp for this process I often forget the set up!

triviani likes this.
  8. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Love my new little 5 watter

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster, triviani and TheTruth like this.
  9. TheTruth

TheTruth TDPRI Member

First of all, thanks to everyone who posted in this thread.
    From my research, I narrowed it down to the Lionheart as the amp for me.
    I play jazz cleans but the amp is crunching a little & my fingerstyle soft attack makes it clean while it compresses for licks.

Anyway, I tried the 20W 4x10 combo in a store a couple of times & just loved it. It does low volumes really well.
    Although I'm not buying the amp yet, the comments here are very insightful, especially the mods.
    I may want to remove the NFB circuit if I get one someday.

This amp is quite special & ticks a lot of sweet spots.

10. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Ahh, I saw Lari Basilio last week who is now a Laney Lionheart endorsee ( she was doing a clinic for Laney). Musically not really my kind of thing ( lot of emphasis on eighties style shred although we got bits of her fingerstyle which is more distinctive).
    She had the 2x12 combo. Small pedalboard and she tended to use a JHS Morning Glory into the clean channel rather than the overdrive from the amp. I'd say the amp wasn't running that loud but was mic'd up. I have the 1x12 and couldn't have kept it sounding that clean at gig levels. Which was fine for me as I was really after that pushed small amp thing.
    Oh, asked about her favourite guitar she said her Tele ( which is a Suhr ).

11. mortdecrire

mortdecrire NEW MEMBER!

I got a used L5 about a month ago, and even after putting in all-new tubes, it still sounds pretty muddy on the low strings. I even swapped out my 25 year old pickups for Pure Vintages. I'm primarily using headphones on both, but I've experienced the same problem running the XLR output through a Presonus Studio 24. The guitar and signal chain all sound fantastic through my Fender Mini Twin, so I know it's not the cans. Already emailed Laney, but they're slow as hell responding. Any ideas?

12. Gclef

Gclef TDPRI Member

I've had an l5 studio for almost 2 years now.

IMO the bass is loose on these guys. I think it has everything to do with the SE class a circuit.

I rarely use the gain channel, as I prefer my bogner pedals thru the clean side.

My L5 pretty much stays in.5watt mode. The attenuated .5w tone is the same as the 5 watt mode. 3 on 5 watt mode sounds like 6 or 7 in .5 watt mode.

I run my laney through a 2x12 with wgs et65 speakers. I am thinking I need a change. What works well with these guys for cleans to hard rock?

13. putl

putl TDPRI Member

The Laney L5 is a very fine amp but it´s somewhat weak in the basses.
    I exchanged it for a Fender 68 Princeton Reverb and was overwhelmed
    by its deep bass and all performance.
    Then when I got used to it, GAS seized me and I sold it to get the Brunetti SingleMan35 which I still have now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.