Laney Lionheart Pack

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Colo Springs E, Jan 1, 2013.

1. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

The head arrived yesterday. So new, It stinks (heating tubes, not the tone)!
    Looks like a cute vintage style murse you could toss on the passenger seat of your MG convertible. Only really played the .5W output but this I can say: Nice cleans.
    The lack thereof was always a deal breaker with other small amps. I had a PRRI before and it's hard to beat for squeaky cleans (short scale Fender and reverb halfway up=Surf heaven). Although different, this one can come very close minus the real spring reverb. Wasn't sure about the tonestack AND global tone control but at least with the head, this turns out to be usable: I have a number of cabs and they all need tone shaping to deal with different sorts of boominess.
    Most importantly: Astonishingly good 'just before to right after breakup' quasi-clean tones at low volume. Which for me means: No pedals!
    As for mid- to high gain, I find it somewhat fizzy. But this is sub 1watt master volume home noodling with Jensen style speakers...I too wonder how the 5 Watts sound when opening up on the clean channel against my drummer. Probably awesome.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Kladen and Kev Reg like this.
  2. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Report back about this. I'd like to know.

Enjoy the amp.

3. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Am I correct in saying there is no master volume on the laney l5 studio?
    There is a drive volume, so on that channel I could get good gain and turn down the volume but what about on the clean channel?
    Is their any break up on the clean channel and if so at what volume?

I’m mainly asking as this is for home use, and I assumed these had a master volume for both Chanel’s but seems this is not the case ?

4. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

No master volume on clean channel. Nice proggressive volume sweep. No sudden bump in volume. Starts to sound best after 4 and i would say it will break up a bit around 8 and beyond but not a great deal. Not crunchy. Just hairy. Someone correct me if in wrong. My amps been in storage while i move house and not had it out for a while. Haha

5. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Ah ok. So does it get too loud on the clean channel for Home use? With the attenuator on , is their any difference in sound ?

Sorry for all the questions :) I had just thought this amp had a master and not having one has thrown me a little ! :)

6. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

I use a low efficiency 12 inch speaker at home. It sounds great at low volumes. I dont play out and I never use the 0.5 attenuator switch. I can get great very low clean sounds that wont annoy the neighbours. Start adding a dirt pedal and it will sure liven up though. I dont think the amp is actually that loud on clean channel. With a single coil guitar for sure its not too loud. With my p90 equiped les paul then ofcourse its much louder.

EuroBailey likes this.
  7. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Ah ok - nice to know. So you didn’t purchase the “Laney” cab? These amps are pretty rare in Aus but occasionally a head comes up for sale second hand or on sale new. So just working out best options. One option is of course to source my own cab which will probably be a lot cheapen then the laney one

8. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

Nah the laney cab has the G12H anniversary in it rated 100db. Thats to efficient for my needs. Quite an expensive cab too. I bought a cheap harley benton cab from germany and fitted a jensen mod 12-35 I think around 94 or 95db. Great match for the amp imho. Cheap to try and gives you that american/british blend. I like american speakers though. I would even be tempted to try some WGS speaker options in the future.

9. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I got the L5 combo 1x12 a week ago. No master for clean channel. It doesn't break up till the volume is well past noon. It's ok for home use at that volume but not if my wife is home.

But I can get really satisfying break up and crunch at very low volumes by hitting the clean channel with a pedal or two or by using the drive channel.

I haven't tried it at a jam yet.

EuroBailey likes this.
  10. Kladen

Kladen TDPRI Member

Someone wrote " the drive channel is like the clean channel with a master volume"

In my opinion you don't need a master volume on the clean channel. I have the 20 watt combo and the way I get good tone at low volume is using my drive channel with the gain set low and volume to taste.

Btw I think the Lionheart series is a very versatile and sweet sounding :)

EuroBailey likes this.
  11. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Awesome thanks :) I might try get the head if I get a good deal, and either find an appropriate cab or if I can the laney cab... I certainly like the look of the laney cab but think I could save a fair bit of cash buying something second hand.. any suggestions for size and type?

gswearengin likes this.
  12. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

For home use a 1x10 would be plenty but a 1x12 is fine. Most cabs are probably gonna come celestion loaded but jet city do a 1x12 with a custom emminence driver. Bugera have a cab with a turbosound driver. Maybe check out the second hand market. Id love to build a 2x10 for my studio head someday.

13. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

I just want to add that I tried a celestion vintage 30 with the studio head and it was not up to scratch. The vintage 30 needs plenty volume to get the best out of it. At home volumes it was stiff and unresponsive. At gig volume it might be another story.

14. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Appreciate all the info. If I go ahead I might hit you up again for some ideas on speakers :)

15. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

I go between a Weber legacy m75 And wgs et90 with my 20watt head. Depending on what I want out of it.
    .5watt can be too loud for home even. But it’s the speaker that really will make more of the difference vs 5/.5watt.
    I got a Jensen p12q in my blues deluxe and at 94db I can set that thing up to 4-5 without tearing my home apart. Also 12ay7 in v1. If it was even a greenback at 97db it’d be way louder. But back to the Laney.
    I haven’t tried a Jensen with mine. I find the amp starts to breathe after 3 on clean channel which shouldn’t be too loud.

16. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Thanks for everyone’s helps in this group. Finally found a laney L5 Studio head and cab locally to me . Second hand and in great condition. So far couldn’t be happier. Much easier to play at home then my vox ac4 and to my ears a much warmer sound. Just using the 5 watt setting at the moment as I feel I can still get a controllable volume level. Takes my pedals really well and looks killer!

Kev Reg likes this.
  17. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

Congratulations on finding one.
    Right now im having to play very low volume with mine and it works very well. Also using the headphones output to great effect.You can really crank the channels volume and run the pedals and it stays crisp.

EuroBailey likes this.
  18. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Out of interest, how many you with laney studios have used the usb output? Is it as simple as usb into mac/pc and then looking for this in your daw?

19. Kev Reg

Kev Reg Tele-Meister

Sorry havent tried that yet

20. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

No dramas - not many people I have spoken to seem to have tried it haha.

I have watched a lot of demos and it seems that for simple recording you can just use the usb direct into Mac/pc. However on all these demos I have also seen the di out also plugged in - generally through another interface to the computer. Can anyone tell me why you would need both? (Even theoretically?).

I know you can re-amp through the usb as well but I imagine if I use the wet signal of the recording I may not see a huge use for this..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.