Laney Lionheart Pack

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Colo Springs E, Jan 1, 2013.

1. mcentee2

mcentee2 Tele-Meister

No difference, it just adjusts a balance within the voltage/current in the heater circuit. Only a light nudge either way should make a difference, find where the hum is quietest.

2. Halo

Halo Tele-Meister

I'm finally done trying the different EL84's. I cought the flue somewhere last week, so I had to postpone the testing. I didn't have the chance to crank the amp yet, so all results are with the volume set at about 2.

I played both a Blade California Standard stratocaster and a Gun Customs telecaster. The Blade is equipped with Levinson branded pickups. The Gun telecaster has (switchable) overwound pickups for a higher output and slightly fatter tone.

Tung-Sol: Good allrounder. Gives a little tighter bass than other tubes, but is not exceptional in any way.

Electro Harmonix: Seems to be somewhat brighter sounding. There seems to be a little spike in the treble frequencies which I didn't like too much.

Sovtek: Virtually the same as the EHX tube, but didn't have the treble spike. It sounded a bit Marshall'ish to my ears. Does not have spiral heaters, and is the noisiest of all tubes tested.

Mullard: This tube sings! Full sound and seems to break up earlier than the other tubes tested. It compresses a little more than the other tubes, while remaining touch responsiveness. I think it is a keeper.

TAD: Does not sound like an EL84 in any way. I would guessed it to be a beam tetrode if I didn't know better. It has a big sound, very Fender like, but with a slight rolled off treble. It sounds smooth, but I threw it out because it didn't cut through enough in a live setting.

JJ EL844: Does look very interesting, but sounds a little dull. The gap in the plate orients to the rear of the amp, so you can actually see the inside of the tube when it operates. It has the signature JJ sound, with slightly rolled off treble and full low-mids. At low volume this tube was not much special, and about as loud as any other tube.

Obviously all results are highly subjective and dependant on the setup used.

3. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

Cool good stuff to know. I might have to try some mullards again when my reflektors die. What preamp tubes were you using? Where do you run your eq, bright switch on?

4. Halo

Halo Tele-Meister

Terrible picture, but I usually have it set up as follows:

[​IMG]

The switch is set to the drive channel, but I actually use only the clean channel.

I still have the stock preamp tubes in this amp, except for the input tube. The original input tube became noisy, so I put a JJ ECC83S in this position.
    I'm considering to put a brighter tube in the V1 position, and move the JJ to the power amp driver position. That should in theory give just a tad more sparkle while retaining the overall tone.

5. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

Thanks for posting that! I'll have to give those settings a whirl. Is it a pretty dark/warm tone? Or does it ever sound too much like a blanket over the amp like that?

6. Halo

Halo Tele-Meister

It's quite warm on the neck pickup, and nasally on the bridge pickup. It works well in a band setting with the keys and vocals filling most of the spectrum.

If you experience a blanket on your clean tone, use the drive channel. Set the gain at about 3 to 4, and the drive level anywhere between 2 and 5 (depending on how loud you want it to be). If you play a lot on the neck pickup, engage the bright switch and slightly back off the gain.

I usually leave the amp set up like this, and reduce the reverb level a bit if the volume goes up.

7. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

Do you ever get the chance to run the volume higher? How high on the dial do you usually take it? I find the amp starts opening up at 3, and gets better from there on up.. at least the 20watter.

8. Halo

Halo Tele-Meister

Only in live situations. I have the 5 watt model, which also gets lots better when you turn it up above 3.

9. putl

putl TDPRI Member

I just sent my new Laney Lionheart L20H back for a change. I will receive its little brother, the Lionheart L5 Studio Head in a couple of days.
    I´m playing only in my home, no stage etc. so the 5Watts will be enough.
    My question is about the FS2 footswitch:
    Has anyone experience how to install LEDs in this little box? Maybe with a 9V battery...?
    Thanks for thinking about it ;-) !

10. Kladen

Kladen TDPRI Member

Here's my lionheart 20 watter with my Princeton 2 and matchless hc30 clone. I play it either by it self or together with the fender in a dual mono setup.

Attached Files:

11. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

Which has more clean the Princeton or Laney ?

hamfists likes this.
  12. Kladen

Kladen TDPRI Member

They're in the same ball park. None of them will go clean with a les Paul turned all the way up and playing at gig levels.

With a strat both have very nice clean headroom.
    The Princeton might come out on top in the volume department. But the gain channel in the Laney is much more useable. Which is why I run both together.

They also responds different to pedals. I find that the Laney loves compressors and clean boost in the front :)

13. putl

putl TDPRI Member

Here´s my new Lionheart L5 Studio Head that I got in change for the Laney Lionheart L20H.
    I´m pleased with it and for playing in my room it´s sufficient. Don´t play outside...:rolleyes:
    I made a cab for it with 2x12" greenbacks that seem to increase gradually in sound.

Laney + Box.jpg

North East Al and Kladen like this.
  14. adimenon

adimenon TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

That's my Laney L20T 112! Both channels are absolutely fantastic.

putl, matt117 and Kladen like this.
  15. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Love the look of these and wow they are getting some good reviews.
    Can someone school an inexperienced amp guy...
    Getting the head and cab 5w studio versus the equivalent combo... Is their a lot of difference ? Apart from the ability to change the cab ? (I think the head also has the ability to plug into PC / Mac via USB whilst the combo doesn't?

Secondly how well does this amp take pedals? Thinking big muff / fuzz style?

16. Kladen

Kladen TDPRI Member

Unless they've changed the combo to same specs as the head I would go for the head. Low watt option and extended options for recording and line out is a winner.

I my book fuzz need some compression from the pre and output tubes to sound cool. I haven't tried a big muff through mine but didn't like the blue fuzz face I once tried.

17. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

Thanks kladen - think the low watt option is a winner for me ! Keen to hear if anyone has used a muff or equivalent and there thoughts. Did you use your fuzz alone? Or with other pedals ? Eg. boost / chorus ? etc?

18. Kladen

Kladen TDPRI Member

I used it alone, but i'm not a great fuzz guy :)

19. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

I finally found a place in Melbourne with the lionheart L5 combo amp. I am more keen on the cab and head but thought I would try it out to see what a Laney sounds like!
    I was really impressed, nice clean sounds and the drive was good fun as well. Amazingly could play some nice crunch at low volumes, something I cannot do with my vox ac4tv. It's a shame there are not more available in AUS, if I can track one down second hand at some stage I might look to sell my vox and upgrade to this !

20. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Glad to see a club for these. I have been tempted by the L5 112 combo for combination of home playing and blues jams.

How well does it keep up with a drummer and a band at moderate volume? Is there any clean headroom at band volume? I assume not at 5 watts. I use a standard tele, a gretsch, and a prs singlecut, so a mixture of single coils, low output humbuckers and pretty hot humbuckers. Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.