Laney cub12r or supro delta king 12

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sigmabender, Oct 17, 2021.

1. sigmabender

sigmabender TDPRI Member

I'm about to start filling in at lead guitar I have a supersonic 22 that seems to be too loud for the small church. I need a smaller amp and have narrowed it down to these too. I used to have a traynor ycv20wr that I regret selling and would love one of those but they are too hard to buy used. Any suggestions?

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Serious reply, here. My thoughts:

- The SS22 is fine in church. It's just a fancy version of all the Deluxe Reverbs that have been used in churches.
    - 22, 20, and 12 Watts aren't that much different until they're dimed.
    - 12 Watts won't be half as loud at 22 Watts. 2.2 Watts is half as loud as 22 Watts.

Just turn it down and it's good.

Arcade, eh? I'm up here in Williamsillve.

Tim S and Dr Improbable like this.
  3. sigmabender

sigmabender TDPRI Member

It's a really small church and the supersonic is quite noisy when not in use. Plus I'd rather haul a smaller amp As well. Nice go bills

archetype likes this.
  4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Ah... You've got a hissy, noisy one. If you like the clean tone of the SS22, have you considered a Princeton Reverb? Somewhat smaller and lighter, enough power if needed, and they generally sound right in a small venue. Plenty of used reissue PRs available.

5. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I'm using the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, playing Assisted living centers. In these venues, being consistently too loud will lose rebookings. I don't really use overdriven sounds in my playing, but the attenuator that can go from 22 to 12 to 5 to 1 to .5 watts should provide sufficient flexibility, unless the Fender sound is not what you're looking for. The TMDR also weighs in at 23 lb, making it (literally) a handful to move- my back loves it!

Marc Morfei and eddiewagner like this.
  6. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Big fan of the Laney cub, it is quite at low volume hiss wise and has nice cleans too.

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Cub 12r is a nice amp. So nice, that it's available as a Monoprice, a Harley Benton and a SubZero model too. The Monoprice is geographically applicable to you.
    As a swerve, the Orange Crush 35rt is a fine example of solid state done right. Want some Fender-ey sounds from it?, front it with a Joyo American sound.

modavis99 likes this.
  8. sigmabender

sigmabender TDPRI Member

I guess I'm just gonna stick with my supersonic I love that amp. I think I'll just spend my money on possible mods to quiet the hiss noise.

Tim S and Chiogtr4x like this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm doing fine in the small/gigging amp department.

But now, with my love for 10" and 8" speaker amps, +my previous years with a '68 Deluxe Reverb,
    I'd probably love the idea of a Supersonic 12-15 watter, with a 10" speaker.

( and I don't mean what you get in an SCXD or SCX2)

An all- tube, Princeton Reverb type, with that dedicated 2nd Gain1/Gain 2 channel

Probably too expensive for me!

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Holic

This is great for low volume and sounds decent. It also costs like $30USD.
    joyoamericansound.jpg

Mr Scallywag and Mad Kiwi like this.
  11. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Will changing the direction the amp is facing reduce the audible hiss? Iif not, it sounds like all you need is a cheap noise gate to mute the hiss?

12. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Do you use a power conditioner?

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Straight in (if you have monitors) this will work great (weighs about a pound).....I do like the one trick those Deltas do, but that's all ya get ("Delta" sounds, very bluesy. Nice, but I would miss nice clean tones. Set up the best clean (on the edge of breakup?) and add a drive pedal if volume is a concern.

14. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

If you're ok with modding it, installing an L-pad attenuator can help dial it down. Suggest going for at least a 50w version, but 100w would be better. Something like this:
    https://cpc.farnell.com/monacor/at-62h/high-power-l-pad-mono/dp/LS00547

Assuming your not driving it into massive output tube distortion and thus causing much in the way of voltage sag in the circuit. Then there would be no halm in doubling the value of some of the power supply caps.

Had a look at the schematic and its clear Fender is attempting to keep circulating noise currents off the ground plane, but there's still a bit of a route. An interesting option would be to add another choke on the ground side, mirroring the origional. Not only would this keep rectifier hiss off the rest of the ground plane, but also reduce low frequency hum a bit too. The "soft earth" back to back diode location might need moving.

It is perfectly possible to do nonsense like this and have a pokey amp that's almost compleatly silent till a string is plucked. I've left my AC30 on for days in my quiet office without noticing. (hearing is mostly ok - electrical engineer who likes music and not a musician - so noise not masked by anything - PC is super quiet too)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.