Laney Cub head vs. Marshall Origin 20

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by davenumber2, Sep 27, 2019.

1. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I currently have the Laney Cub head (15watts) and run it through a 1x12 cab with a WGS ET65 speaker. My question is, how different is the Origin? I haven’t played many Marshalls. Is the Laney sound similar to the Marshall sound, both being British voiced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. North East Al

North East Al Tele-Meister

I'm go
    I'm going to say no. Laney is its own brand. I had a VC15 and now have an Origin 20 combo. They are nothing alike. Different power valves for a start. Voiced very differently and the origin is head and shoulders better.

4. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I have a Monoprice 15 watt tube combo, which is supposedly built & rebranded for Monoprice by Laney, (branded as "Stage Right"), as Monoprice does not manufacturer anything. Anyway, if it's not made by Laney, then they licensed the circuitry to another manufacturer, because under the hood, the Monoprice is identical to the Laney Cub 12R, which is a 15 watt EL84 tube combo.

It's a Cub 12R chassis with spring reverb instead of digital reverb. Anyway, this little combo (to me), sounds more like a Vox AC15, than a Marshall, but they do have lots of gain, (I do love the tone with the gain knob at 9)! I'm going to assume yours probably sounds more like a Vox, than a Marshall. But my Monoprice combo is definitely British voiced, with 2 EL84's and I'm again assuming your Laney 15 watt head is probably very close to what I have.

I also have a Marshall DSL40C amp that (until recently), was my main gigging amp. (it's under the green towel, holding up the Monoprice...LOL). I like the tone of this Laney designed amp better, and it only weighs half what the DSL40C amp does. This Laney designed amp works great for pretty much for all of my needs, except when playing outdoors, then it needs to be mic'd.
    Strat-Tele.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The Laney is voiced more like a Fender, especially with reverb. The Origin is more a woody JTM/JMP Marshall.

Not alike much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.