1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lamest song you ever played with a cover band?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by regularslinky, Jan 7, 2015.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My Way.
    I tried to leave the bandstand, but it was a busy night, and there was no
    clear escape.
    An ode to arrogance.
    That tune is stinkier than a week old Limburger and onion sandwich.

2. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

this

3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Ok, I'm going to regret letting anyone know I actually played... for money.... in public....in front of people.... the song True Colors by Cindy Lauper (>_<).... oh god, I feel so dirty.... Saying it was the 80's is no excuse for unleashing that dense cloud of sonic hate on the innocent!! The best part was our keyboard player, a dude, with a deep voice sang it... with a straight face!!! I think one us threatened to quit or something so we only did it a couple of times.... Why couldn't it have been Muskrat Love or something but, True Colors???,... my god.... I MEAN MY GOD!!!! (>_<)!!!!!

4. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

I've often thought Lady in Red could be acceptable if you stripped out the cheesiest synth/drum machine part ever recorded. Real drums, real guitars, rough up the edges a bit, and it should be no worse than any other ballad designed for people to slow dance to at a wedding.

As I'm not likely to be playing any weddings, though, I'm not curious enough to actually try it out.

5. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

"House Of The Rising Sun" - or, as I usually call it, "House Of The Writhing Bums". I first heard the Animals' version of it when they did it live at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1964, before the record came out. I was impressed at the time, but it's been done to death and I now hate it with a passion. In fact, it's one song that, although I know it perfectly well, I will with the odd very rare exception actively refuse to play.

6. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Ha. We used to play "Band of Gold" at weddings. Great song and people loved it, but if you listen to the words it's about a groom who can't get "motivated" on his wedding night!

7. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

This friend of mine once told me that the bridal dance request was for "Once, twice, three times a lady" and it was a BIG wedding. They had to play that song on and on and on and on while the bride danced with everybody.

Eventually it went on for so long that they started joking around and making up lyrics and my favorite "alteration" was:

Once, twice, she gave me..... the scabies

so I........ gave them..... to you

8. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Back in the late 80s when I was unemployed and desperate I took a job with a dreadful country and western band who mainly played RSAs on a Saturday night. These are clubs run by Returned Services Associations and are basically cheap watering holes for boozy old codgers and their wives.

Every gig without fail they would do The Birdie Song. I'm not sure if this is the same as the Chicken Song people have mentioned above, but it would have to be the worst one I've ever played at a gig. Two chords, polka beat, falling asleep on the bandstand waiting for the changes to come around. But without fail it always got the crowd up dancing. There's something deeply disturbing about watching 40 or 50 septuagenarians and octogenarians flapping their imaginary wings to ghastly music pitched at the level of the average 3-year-old.

Oh yeah, we did Achey Breaky too. That was high art in comparison ...

9. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Happy Birthday followed by All I Want To Do Is Make Love To You by Heart.

I could feel my face get all hot from embarrassment when we played that song. But the floor was packed, and the lady we had singing lead at the time had a great voice.

10. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Many have listed Achy Breaky Heart.

I almost quit a band over this one -- I hated playing that one so much.

11. jonsongz

jonsongz Tele-Meister

I'll see your Little Black Egg and raise you a

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

God Bless Texas.

Nothing against the Great State of Texas or, the waaaay cool people that live there.
    I just hate the song.

13. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In 1971, for some obscure reason, we got ahold of some MacDonalds cardboard pirate hats. Later in the night, when the excitement level was higher, we would put them on and sing a rock version of You Deserve a Break Today. It was funny to see how oblivious most patrons seemed to be at that point. But it was heartwarming, seriously, to make eye contact with someone not so drunk that they couldn't tell what we were doing.

A few years earlier, the same band was in a more experimental stage, playing our own songs, as well as so-called deep cuts. We were pretty active in a small region, and played for some of the same people a lot. During a break, one guy came over and told us how good we were and so on, but then said something I never forgot. He said that sometimes people just want to have a good time and dance to something with a clear beat, like Creedence. Had he been a jerk, we would have brushed it off, but his manner was winning, in its way (in a small town, it is common to classify groups of people into distinct camps, and his was sort of looked down on for who knows why).

We got together and decided to learn two Creedence songs that were the least problematic for us. (Back to the small town ways, Creedence was the band of the jocks--specifically, the cross-country jocks (long story).) One was Down on the Corner, for which the drummer purchased a Latin Percussion cow bell. It was like magic. As soon as we started with the basic riff, the dance floor would be flooded. One of the big lessons we learned was that the energy and enthusiasm the dancers showed for that song, carried into the songs that followed, including our originals.

Footnote. It became a running joke in the band, and the others that followed with the same key members, that Gary had spent $14 on a cowbell, so g**damn, we were going to use it.

Post footnote. The three of us had become separated by careers and geography, but we reconnected via email 8 years ago. We decided to meet up in Las Vegas. The drummer picked us up at the hotel to go out for dinner. One of the first things out of his mouth was "cow bell." I think the experience scarred him for life.

Oh, no. More flashbacks with later bands. Your Mama Don't Dance, Shake Your Booty, Misty, blues shuffle in A, Jazz Odyssey (just kidding, Spinal Tapsters).

Seriously, I had tried to become the most professional musician I could be, and wound up getting calls for one-offs a lot, because I could read and play in different styles. Part of my philosophy was, gak, I hate this phrase: "to serve the song." In another thread recently, I mentioned how pretentious sounding that phrase is. The basic sentiment was something that I internalized, as most working musicians do. But it is something that you do as unobtrusively as possible, not something that you say you do. When I read someone using that phrase, I think "amateur."

14. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

"Color My World"

15. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

Believe it or not (don't laugh) I was just this morning working on a solo acoustic arrangement of this song. I thought it might be interesting. Maybe I'll reconsider.:oops:

16. Tom Coyle

Tom Coyle Tele-Meister

It was achy breaky, until our singer sprung this one on us.......I think he knows and likes every cheesy band and cheesy song ever written. He's from Kansas. I don't WTF they were playing on Kansas radio in the 70's, but it wasn't the screamin' guitars we listened to in Detroit. Every week he'll get all excited and call me up and suggest some cheesy ass song you never heard of, or want to forget after the first time you heard it. I now call them "Kansas Ringers."

Lobo, I'd love you to want me.

Mind you, it's not the worst one he's suggested, there a hundred on that list. I think we played it only once, fortunately.

Oh, and New Orleans Ladies

Tom

17. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I forgot another one: "The Pina Colada Song." The guitar part was actually a lot of fun but the cheese factor was off the charts.

18. Kid Kactus

Kid Kactus Tele-Meister

"Can't Take My Eyes Off You." With all of us taking turns missing the changes. :)

19. Kid Kactus

Kid Kactus Tele-Meister

And "What A Wonderful World" has some of the "Murf and the Magic Tones" vibe about it.

20. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Kung Fu Fighting

Come And Get Your Love

Two of the lamer ones I can remember

oldgofaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.