Lamenting the passing of the celebration of the dust bowl days.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

This year, in fact this coming Saturday, we will have the last Dust Bowl Days celebration out at the Sunset School near Lamont California. I think this may be the 28th year for it. I know my wife and I and many of our friends, and family have gone out there for years. We get there early and have a genuine cooked by Okies or their offspring poor folks breakfast of biscuits and gravy, the sausage on the side is a nice added touch. There's a live band of some of the old timers who played around Bakersfield. We'll visit the remaining section of the camp, like the ones I stayed in when we first came to California. It's pure dee nostalgia and I will miss it.

There's stuff from the past to look at, but now the peddlers have moved in, trying to make a buck off selling imported junk. There's still plenty to see, by the end of the day, you're tired from walking around, but glad you got to go back in time for a little while. I will miss our annual pilgrimage, but young folks are too busy to think of tradition, and without them, nothing survives. Another glimmer of the past, and my own past will soon fade into the sands of time.

2. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Just watch out for those nasty water balloons!:D

Toto'sDad and Boubou like this.
  3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Truly lamentable.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. montemerrick

montemerrick Tele-Meister

5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear TD. Stuff like that is too important to fall by the wayside.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ain't nothing better than memories of nostalgia !!!

Toto'sDad and BelairPlayer like this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Yet another example of "Things REALLY were better back in the good ole days".
    (The celebration....not the actual Dust Bowl) ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Whoops, I missed the part about you missing it. You ought to still be on the lookout for those Molotov beanbags.:p:D

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

Poor Okies having biscuits and gravy for breakfast would be living high on the hog, especially if they also have sausage or bacon. If you want something more authentic, have a bowl of grits.

Don’t worry too much about this tradition fading. Soon enough, today’s young people will have their own large-scale ecological disasters to deal with.

Obsessed, gitold, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.
  10. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Well that’s just the problem isn’t it? Nostalgia these days is nothing like the old nostalgia.

11. jas468

jas468 Tele-Meister

Oh wow, I didn't know that. We played there back in 99 (I think?) and Jimmy Phillips and Tommy Ash both played drums with us. Got to meet both Bill Woods and Billy Mize, who were chair-ridden by them.
    Very memorable occasion for me, to this day. Hotter than hell but I loved every second of it.
    I just remember Jimmy joking to the audience that back in the day LA stood for "Lamont and Arvin"

boris bubbanov and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

See you don't really understand the Okies of the dust bowl days. The reason they could never get ahead, was that when they got paid, they run off down to the company store, and bought pork chops. Then when they dropped the pay in the next day or two, or some of the family couldn't work, then they went back to eating grits. BTW, I've had grits, and seen the time when I'd have been glad to have a bowl, or plate of 'em depending on how they were fixed.

13. Toto'sDad

My son went to school with Bill Woods's kids. When my son was ill, Tommie, Billy's daughter came to see my son, and spent all day with him. She told me, this is so hard, because he's the best friend I ever had. When she had hard times, and her husband passed away, my son knocked on her door, and gave her an envelope full of money, (I never knew how much, but it was considerable). He was a general contractor making big bucks, but he still thought like poor folks, and knew one of his own needed help. Tommy truly loved him like a brother and he loved her like a sister.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Thanks for posting that Montemerrick! I never heard that particular song by Woody. It tells it like it was. When we came out here from Alabama by way of a stop-off in Arkansas, and that was quite a while after the Dust Bowl, people were not very friendly until you shook the just got here look off of ya.

15. Toto'sDad

I might have me a double shot of them biscuits and gravy, and walk slow through the memorabilia one last time. I'm gonna do like the Okies did though, and splurge for the sausage like there's no tomorrow. :) A guy named Artie who owns a little local music store that's been around for a long time, comes out and plays drums for the warm up act before the old guys hit the stage, I always get a kick out of him.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I fear that the very day all of the remembrance events for such things as the Dust Bowl, are done.....

That that's the day the Next Dust Bowl begins.

Toto'sDad and Obsessed like this.
  17. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

I could tell you of an incident that happened during the dust bowl days in a particular eastern city in front of a particular group of individuals that changed them from climate change deniers to believers but it would get removed despite its historical significance and lack of political intent.

Black Sunday. April 14, 1935

Sorry, I researched it more and the event I’m referring to happened a few weeks earlier.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  18. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Dust Bowl? They wore leather helmets. right?

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It seems to be hypocritical to "celebrate" the Dust Bowl in many ways. Just sayin'

20. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

My maternal Grandfather packed up his wife and daughters (my Mom and Aunt Nancy) in '37 and left Tulsa OK for California. They came back in '40 no more prosperous than when they left. Lots of stories to tell though. The Grapes of Wrath holds a special place in my heart.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.