Lake Placid Blue Tele (or Strat): what traditional-style case?

ataylor

Tele-Meister
Alrighty — let's say one were to obtain a nice Tele or Strat in the venerable Fender custom color we know as Lake Placid Blue. And let's say one were to want a new traditional-style case for the guitar?

What do you feel would be the most aesthetically pleasing combination of guitar, case covering, and case lining?

What would you say is most vintage-correct? (This may be the same answer as above)

Photographic support of suggestions/experience would be great!

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
American Original 60's Telecaster in LPB. Comes with black tolex G&G traditional style case (with red interior).

I'm sure the vintage purists will be here in no time to tell us that a 9.5" radius and slightly taller fret wire is an abomination.

5jrxRQe.jpg

IrishBread69

Tele-Meister
Either a black or tweed classic Fender case would be your best option.

The G&G ones are obviously the best but the replica ones are fine too in my experience. Some complain about glue smell but mine have been fine. Bought a surf green one a few months ago. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

The limited anniversary silver TSA hard cases have a LPD lining. Big fan of mine although I put an EOB Strat in there, likes the contrast of blue and OW.

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Hey man, check the classifieds right now. There's a heck of a dealio on a G&G in traditional tweed. I'd buy it myself but I'm not in the market (no, I have nothing to do with the seller BTW). I actually commented on the listing in fact. Good luck man! ;)

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I like the G&G cases for vintage look and feel. However the best case from a functionality standpoint is the 2008-12 Fender branded SKB molded case. This was the period when they moved away from the key shape ABS case and before the current red handled ones. SKB currently sells them as the 66PRO.

Last edited:

TwoBear

Tele-Afflicted
American Original 60's Telecaster in LPB. Comes with black tolex G&G traditional style case (with red interior).

I'm sure the vintage purists will be here in no time to tell us that a 9.5" radius and slightly taller fret wire is an abomination.

5jrxRQe.jpg
Alas is there no more love for shark skin? We can call it vicuna if there are any Oceana members offended. It’s just fabric, right?

Riffmaster227

TDPRI Member

5jrxRQe.jpg

a 9.5" radius and slightly taller fret wire is an abomination.

Sincerely, A vintage purist

BobbyMac

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
If you haven't noticed lately, the Fender DELUXE G&G cases are now MAP priced at $299 for Strat/Tele and $319 for Fender Bass. This includes deluxe black tolex, brown tolex, and tweed. There are still a few Fender/G&G Jag and Jazzmaster cases around $239.

There's a nice looking Fender Classic Series case (Made in VietNam) in dark blue vinyl covering with a gold plush interior, and brown ends and handle for $199. Might be worth a look.

This one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...classic-series-wood-case-strat-tele-navy-blue

BobbyMac

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I bought a used MIM Roadhouse this past summer and it came with a Fender tweed case; I was totally surprised when it came. Always wanted one.

tHH4Snb.jpg

That is a very nice case, but it is not to be confused with Fender's top-of-the-line USA cases made by G&G in Los Angeles. I believe your case is/was called a Pro Series case and it was included with some of Fender's MIM FSR guitars in the recent past, and as a separate lower cost version of the deluxe model.

ataylor

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I nearly went for the case here in the classifieds but it sold before I decided to go that route.

But it ended up being for the best because I found a cool case that I’ll save for the eventual NGD post — the guitar is either going to be delivered by Santa or I may have my wife let my young kids “surprise” me with it for an upcoming milestone early next year.

I will say that I did go G&G — I have the black/black one for my Baja Telecaster and decided they’re just part of the classic Fender experience for me.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted

5jrxRQe.jpg

I might be able to forgive the radius because this thing has a 3-saddle bridge and 3-ply pickguard. ;)
Also... this thing is beautiful!

Now... regarding the question...
Do they have a case with orange interior? I'm asking because not only do I like bright orange colors(YMMV), but orange and
dark blue are complementary colors which would make the whole thing really pop when the lid is opened.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I guess I just don't look at a case as "matching"? There are lots of good cases out there, in all kinds of use cases. Maybe a better question is what will you be using a case for?

Maybe I miss understand what is being asked here.