1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

LaJara - Revisiting the Semi-Hollow Flying V

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Freekmagnet, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Holic

I decided that it's time to start a new build, and I've had this design floating around for a while. I actually built a plywood and Masonite V a few years back, and it turned out to be a really cool guitar. This one is going to be made of actual wood and will have one of my pickups installed in it.

Here's the drawing:

[​IMG]

I'm still not sure of the headstock design - I may or may not change it. Part of me wants to do a 6x6 headstock. I'll prolly make it 25.5" scale and 1 11/16" nut width.

Here's my wood shot:

[​IMG]

From L-R: A 5-piece blank I glued up from some leftover maple. Once I cut the neck shape, it will probably end up being closer to a 3-piece. A 5/4 piece of red alder left over from another build and a 2/4 piece of poplar for the top. I wanted another piece of red alder, but they didn't have a piece wide enough or long enough to cut 4' at Mayan Hardwoods. Poplar is OK with me, really.

The tricky part will be the first glue-up of the body blank. For strength, I want the direction of the grain to follow the shape of the V. I have to cut the pieces at an angle and surface them for gluing at the same angle.

I'm kind of considering this to be a "scrap" build, so I'll prolly just buy some inexpensive hardware from BezDez on EBay. They have some pretty decent Korean-made stuff at very reasonable prices.

Lastly, the pickup(s). I'm a bass player who knows very little about guitars, so I'm kind of fishing for some opinions. I'm torn between a few options:

1) I have a sort-of P90 design with AlNiCo 5 magnets and a single blade pole. There's few things more rocking than a nice 1-pickup Rock & Roll machine a la the Les Paul Jr. I made this pickup for one of my basses, and it's a great sounding pickup. Nice, fat, full, punchy and bright. It'd probably be a great guitar pickup as well. This is my favorite option.

2) However, I love surf guitar. For something like that, I also have another single coil design that's narrower - more like a Telecaster width. It's a got two ceramic magnets powering a blade pole like a P90, but it's a taller pickup like a Strat or a Tele. It's brighter than my "P90" design, but it still packs a lot of punch due to the ceramic magnets. In this case, I was thinking I might add a second neck pickup just to give the guitar more options.

3) I've been wanting to make a single coil powered by some AlNiCo 5 bars I have laying around. Maybe a single vertical bar magnet as a core, wider than a Strat, narrower than a P90. This is my least favorite option - I think my desire to keep costs down might be pretty strong here. But OTOH it could end up being a really cool pickup, which is definitely a plus.

Let me know what you guys think.

If I do a 1-pickup guitar, I'm thinking about maybe adding a passive treble and bass control like the G&L guitars have. That would give a few more options. I also have some push-pull pots I'd like to get rid of. Maybe I can add a second tone cap as well.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  2. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

I like the headstock design as is.

crazydave911 and Freekmagnet like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I kind of like it too, maybe with two tuners on the bottom though like an old teisco

9411FAB9-5942-4A51-9071-C0F17CD129F1.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    zippofan, Festofish, Dan R and 3 others like this.
  4. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Holic

Haha - the Teisco headstock was my original inspiration for the design!

5. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

It was meant to be!

6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I like your headstock design. It's like that last tuner doesn't have to be on the other side at all but you're doing it because you can.

7. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I kinda like guitars like that to be more symmetrical in overall style and look, so personally I’d favour a more traditional arrow head style. But that wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. It certainly does look kinda cool and unique. I do like the look of the 4 up 2 down idea.

My vote is to go just one pup to make it more unique that standard looking Flying V’s, and I’m sure you could come up with some cool switching options. I’m starting to get a real thing for one pup guitars. :D

It’s a cool looking design and idea - can’t wait to see it progress.

8. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Holic

Thx!

yeah, the 3x3 on a V is tricky - I always end up going back to the arrowhead design like you suggested. But the inline 6 has its quirks, too. It’s really hard to do a design that doesn’t look heavy metal - like the hockey stick. I’m kinda trying to split it down the middle with the 5x1 pictured here, but I’m not married to it. I don’t notice it that much, which is a good thing.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I agree with your thoughts on trying to get away from the HM look (even though I’m a headbanger from way back! :p) So something different and unique like you’ve created is the answer.

Freekmagnet likes this.
  10. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Holic

You got me thinking about switching now. Esquires have some cool switching options. This is a Tele forum, after all. Or I have some li’l transformers laying around that I’ve been meaning to use for something. I could make a mid-cut switch. That’d be fun! Never done that before.

11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Come on, cut some wood! :lol:. I'm definitely in the single pickup camp, most of my favorites here are. The reason my parts is all kinds of weird neck pickups :p:lol:

Dave

Freekmagnet likes this.
  12. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Holic

I’ll be cutting wood soon! Not tonight - I had a long day Christmas shopping.

Haha the lumber yard was a hidden detour.

LeftFinger likes this.
  13. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

You had me at Flying V but semi hollow maybe esquire *chef's kiss*

Cool pickguard + f-hole pattern in the drawing, very sleek.

14. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Maybe a stacked pickup with a dummy on the bottom? Very cool design BTW, and I love that 5x1 headstock, too.

15. Raoul

Raoul TDPRI Member

I'm with you for a p-90 on a single-pickup instrument.

Though a V is clearly a rocking vibe, p-90s have enough richness to cover a range of styles. The old Gibson 125Ts, full hollow thin lines with one p-90 in the neck position, had limited sonic palette, but one that works in a surprising set of genres. A p-90 plays well with others. Other than noisy airwaves.

I personally prefer a single pickup moved away from the bridge a bit compared to a typical 2-pickup rig, so it sees/hears a wider string travel. I'm more satisfied adding bite through picking style and location than trying to add more richness, so I like the pickup to be in a little mellower spot. That's probably my ear and my picking style/limitations.

16. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Holic

That’s a really good suggestion - I will take a little more time to consider my pickup placement. The drawing I posted was actually from an earlier build that had two humbuckers. I just deleted the neck pickup and swapped out the HB with my pseudo P90. It would make sense that I might want to move it further from the bridge. Thx!

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. crazydave911

Bull hockey, you have taste lol. I'm trying to recreate what I feel is the ultimate single pickup guitar, a Guild S-50 Jetstar. Not as well known as the two pickup version but cherry examples don't go for 3k on Reverb for nuthin :D

https://www.mmguitarbar.com/listing...tric-guitar-cherry-100-original-wohc/14877348

Single P90, middle position, pure class :p

Dave

JohnnyCrash and Freekmagnet like this.
  18. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like the idea including the interesting headstock.

Freekmagnet and crazydave911 like this.
  19. crazydave911

I figured you would lol

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  20. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet Tele-Holic

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.