"Lag" When Pedal is Engaged/Disengaged?

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I needed to kill time last weekend while waiting for an appointment so I went into a guitar store and snooped around. I plugged into a rig similar to mine and played a couple pedals. I played a JHS Morning GLory v4 and it immediately blew me away with how good it sounded. It has the PERFECT edge of breakup sound I've been searching for, and very reactive to dynamics! The store was asking almost 25% above what I saw online, so like a good capitalist I decided to buy it online. It arrived on Monday, I plugged it in, and it sounds great. Just like the one in the store. It stacks SO WELL with my Klone I immediately pulled 2 pedals off my board. The problem is I immediately noticed a "lag" between when I hit the switch to when it engaged. In a live setting this would be pretty unacceptable (at least to me). I've owned JHS pedals in the past and can't remember any of them having this issue. I recently bought a UA Astra and it does the same "lag" thing when engaged. I have the Golden and Starlight and neither of them "lag" when switched on.

I'm running power through a Strymon Zuma, so there should be no weird power issues, I'm using mogami cables with soldered plugs. None of my other pedals have this issue. It's pretty noticeable when they are engaged that my wife commented on it.

Did I get two lemons? Are these pedals' switches designed this way? What are your thoughts?

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The One in the store worked fine? They let you try it out with their guitar and their amp and their cable? The one in the store has a better return policy too.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
That is just the punishment for trying out gear at a local brick and mortar and then buying online. Karma.

Go buy something local and I bet that lag disappears.

Of course I might be wrong about all this.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
The switch in the JHS is mechanical, (no idea about the other) it could be that it's 'flicking over' slowly when you push it I suppose, although I've not experienced it myself. I'd trying mashing it for a few minutes and seeing if it kind of 'frees up' ... maybe 'sticky switch' is a thing?

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
The switch in the JHS is mechanical, (no idea about the other) it could be that it's 'flicking over' slowly when you push it I suppose, although I've not experienced it myself. I'd trying mashing it for a few minutes and seeing if it kind of 'frees up' ... maybe 'sticky switch' is a thing?
The switch in the Astra is mechanical (you can hear it when in True Bypass mode). Maybe it's a bad switch in this one. I might go back to the brick and mortar I tried the original at and compare them (They are super cool, and I should have just bought it there... but .... Money ...)

I'll give it a good kicking and see if it looseness up!