Lacquer type question - Squier shortscale base

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by old_picker, Feb 26, 2020.

1. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

Have this shortscale mustang bass here and I am wondering what the finish on the one piece maple neck is. It is almost dry to the touch like there's no finish there yet it will not take moisture and I can see the decal is buried under the finish - maybe decal is silk screened

I would love to be able to duplicate the nice dry slinky6 feel - it's almost like wood with no finish -

Any ideas?:

thanks in advance to any and all posters

2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Yesterday I helped a student of mine set up her Squier Strat, and it had exactly that type of finish on the neck. I guess it’s some kind of poly matte finish. It’s nice but IMO it does not feel like bare wood because you can feel it’s been hardened by some kind of plasticizer.

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Are you sure it’s not the Squier Bronco Bass?

Those have a very thin matte sealer.

If I wanted to replicate it easily and cheaply, I would use a very light application of matte Deft lacquer. It’s under 10 bucks, available at many run-of-the-mill hardware stores, and it’s extremely easy to apply well (has an outstanding spray nozzle). Follow it with extra fine steel wool or Scotchbrite if you want it super smooth and matte.

4. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

ahh yeah - bronco bass it is

we don't have deft here - is that a precat nitro or what?

A very similar finish is used on the necks of Musicman Cutlass strats.
    A mate of mine who is s great player does a lot of big shows in the far north queensland tropics. He swears this is the only neck that doesn't "grab" in the high humidity even in pouring rain. It is s very "dry" feel.

He reckons there's no finish on those necks but I know musicman wont be releasing guitars with raw necks.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.