1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

lacquer on neck

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by ronnes, Mar 13, 2009.

1. ronnes

ronnes Tele-Meister

do you mask of the frets, or do you leave them unmasked and scrape them afterwards?

2. dbeeman

dbeeman TDPRI Member

I asked the same question IIRC.

I sprayed over mine and scraped most of it off carefully. I still need to do some steel wool with the FB masked.

You can scrape it off the frets with your fingernails when it is not bone dry. - only dried fir a few hours

3. ronnes

ronnes Tele-Meister

thanks! sorry for the double post:oops:

4. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Masking the frets is unnecessary and unpractical because you will need to apply many coats. This will cause a build up around the blue tape and make it very difficult to lift off without damaging your paint or causing it to make little unsightly lines. After your lacquer is dry, you can mask off the fret board and buff the lacquer off the frets with steel wool.

5. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

If you spray over the frets and wait 3 days until you start sanding, then you should be able to just take an exacto-knife and scribe the edges of the frets - right between the frets and the fretboard. If the lacquer has not really cured then (takes weeks) then the lacquer will pull away from the frets pretty easily. The scribing keeps the the lacquer on the fretboard from getting damaged in the process - just use the exacto-knife to peal the lacquer off in long strips - it does not really stick to the frets very well at all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.