1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lacquer Neck Goof Up Fix?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by b2187101, Feb 17, 2021.

1. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

I usually just lurk and read... but now have a real Telecaster problem.

I have a MIM Jimmy Page Dragon Telecaster, it is lacquer so is the neck. While playing through my Vox amp, I got called away so propped up the telecaster, by the neck, on the Vinyl Supro amp cover. Forgot to remove guitar... and the vinyl promptly ate through the lacquer on a section of neck.

There is now a tacky portion on the neck.

Can I sand through this? I don't mind a bare wood neck. What grit and type of sandpaper should I use... or not use?

Thanks!

2. Fuggle

Fuggle Tele-Meister

Just curious, how long was it propped there to cause the damage?

jfgesquire likes this.
  3. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

I'm hate to admit... over night.

4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Yikes.

I have the same question about how long they were in contact.

Did you ever put any armor all type protectant on the vinyl?

It almost sounds like the lacquer was just sprayed last month to do that so easily.

IF I were to sand it out. I would probably start fine, maybe 400 or 600 to see how deep it goes. You may need to go down to 320, then back to 400-600 to remove any scratches swirls.

Do you want the back of the neck satin? After sanding, I might get some 0000 steel wool and "buff" the back of the neck where it would get played.

Edit:. You could have the neck over sprayed with lacquer again. Since it's a new guitar, it would likely be an invisible repair. New lacquer will just melt into old lacquer.

b2187101 likes this.
  5. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

I've had a similar situation with an old guitar stand. If it's just sticky I'd try a little safe polish to see if the sticky feeling goes away. If it goes away but you feel it playing and it bothers you then I'd consider sanding.

It could be something that goes away the more the neck is worn. And who sees it when your playing but you? A good guitar stand will solve that forever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.