Lace Sensor blue in tele bridge?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by BlackieBlues, Oct 8, 2019.

1. BlackieBlues

BlackieBlues TDPRI Member

I’ve got a blue lace laying around and was thinking of popping it in my Classic Vibe tele to see what happens. Anyone out there with this or have tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Only way to know is to try; I'm not 100% sure on standard wind direction and polarity on lace sensors. So not sure they'd be rwrp with your neck pickup.

Mine in my strat are gold, and from back when fender owned them.

I dont remember what the blue sounded like (or honestly if I ever played them) but the reds I tried left an impression of good bridge strat sounds.

I only got the gold because I was a teenager and lucked out getting a full set used at a local shop (some schmuck probably "upgraded" to something less stratty). The golds go good in a strat, but I wouldn't recommend them for a tele bridge. Measure low (5ish) and I dont like brightness from tele bridge, that's what the necks for.

At the very least, itll sound different than stock. Let us know how it sounds.

3. BlackieBlues

Cool, thanks. I’m going to pop it in tonight. I had a blue in a Strat Plus I sold and loved it. Any idea how to age these? I’m pretty sure it’s an older 90’s one. It’s pretty hot...I believe over 12k

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Not other than guessing based upon if the word "Fender" is on the cover.
    My normal "quick" reference magazine pile isn't helpful. MF catalog from mid 2000s (when fender still owned them) doesn't list what they measure. Fender catalogs from 2005 and 1976 (before LS were a thing) dont list them.

Outside of emailing the people at Lace, I dont have a clue.

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The early ones looked different on the back than the newer ones. Like the ones used in Super Strats etc. I just bought a set of coverless Gold Plus made/signed by Jeff Lace. I only bought them really because I wanted a Gold colored Lace to match the guitar hardware after I tried a stock lace in there. I'm using one of them in place of a HB in my archtop. Really like it so far. I guess it's just potted epoxy resin in lieu of the cover. I'm now noiseless with SC sound! That's what one looks like inside.
    [​IMG]

6. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

TL;DR is: If you loved it in the Strat Plus/Deluxe from the late 90s then yeah, it's worth a go, but you may find it too dark/too similar to regular neck tele PU.

To start with, I love lace sensors. So I'm not hating in any way, shape or form. I just think that particular pickup is like throwing gas on the dumpster fire that is the tele neck position. I don't know if I can think if a warmer pickup than the blue. At least the one in my (like yours, mid-late 90s) Strat Plus Deluxe was that way. Way too warm. Usually people want to brighten up that position, don't they?

To my point: if I was gonna try this, I think I would replace my volume pot with a 500k model to give it more of a chance. I've read a few people saying that this was a good idea with their lace sensors (although I haven't done it myself--I just replaced the blue with a gold and carried on). Worth keeping it in mind, anyway.

7. BlackieBlues

I’m a huge fan of the neck actually...I must be the only one. I find myself mostly playing in the neck. The warmer, the better. So I think I may enjoy it. But I’ll try the 500k pots too, thanks!

ahiddentableau likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.