Labels? Small Stencils??

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jewellworks, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Jewellworks

Jewellworks Tele-Meister

im looking for labels or really small stencils to paint my chassis controls. i cant seem to find anything other than army lettering to paint your mailbox.
    looking for something small, cool, fancy...
    ?????

2. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"Real" amps are silk-screened, not stenciled. It's sort of the same, but silk-screening is a mass production process that requires up-front preparation and investment. It's not really practical for a one-off DIY amp.

One DIY pedals, I have used clear plastic mailing labels, printed on my computer, then clear-coated. You have you be careful what kind of clear coat you use, so as not to melt the printer ink.

bblumentritt likes this.
  3. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

decals is another way. you can buy sheets of decal paper & print your own

I've built a few amps & made my own silk screens. its a lot of work but looks pretty kool

heres my last one

[​IMG]

bblumentritt and Jewellworks like this.
  4. jtcnj

jtcnj Tele-Holic

Waterslide decals - I have a pack of the clear type but have yet to try it.

5. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Old school dry transfer like Letraset covered with a spray coating look great and are durable. They are just a bit hard to find, but are out there. It’s what I use for my custom chassis.

I looked into silk screening and direct laser etching, but they are very hard to find and pricey (unless doing large volume). Custom latex letters are reasonably priced but now as good looking as the dry transfers.

bblumentritt and Jewellworks like this.
  6. Jewellworks

Jewellworks Tele-Meister

This is what I'm looking for. Is this the decals?

"Decals". That is different than the water slide decals you can print? I tried a water slide decals, but it wasn't strong enough to be seen with the black chassis background. I tried printing yellow lettering (you can't print White) but came out as a very dark green once applied on the black chassis. Almost unreadable.
    I'm looking at custom "stickers" but they're expensive too...

7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Not anywhere near silkscreen print but a lot better than some handwritten sharpie mess, I've seen.
    perhaps a Dymo Label PnP could suffice your needs

edit: oh and the best thing about it, you can use any type font you have on your computer :cool:

1-IMG_20200812_162304.jpg

jtcnj and Gardo like this.
  8. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

that was a silk screen. as for decals, maybe talk to a commercial print/graphics shop & tell them what you want. and yeah, a decal over black could be a problem. ask a pro. it's possible they have some scrap examples to try too

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Another option I've used in the past is to draw up a full-size layout (in color) of the controls and save it as a JPG. You can send this to any place that makes custom vinyl labels/decals; ask for the exterior-grade type--it's thicker and tougher. They can print you up an entire face plate for a pedal or amp. You stick it on and use an Xacto knife to cut out for the pots, switches, etc.

jtcnj likes this.
  10. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Can you post an example of how it turns out? Close ups would be great. Cheers!

11. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

I concur BobSmith, and been there did that on quite a few guitar headstocks and some hi-fi stereo builds. My wife (print-magazine layout/design career) did the layout and alignment etc for me, looked real nice and sat under 5 coats of gloss with no ridges or bumps (which is a *thing* you have to deal with).

For those maybe trying this (already said, it can work great): With Letraset you are effectively doing traditional (physical!) typesetting - “print-stock“ decisions, font choices, points, leading, kerning, contrast and composition, imprints, sheens, and all that- a very sophisticated and massively documented art form absolutely worth exploring (if you haven’t already done so).

Final Letraset thought: buy at least 5 identical sheets so you can try various treatments and fix mistakes and tweak. If you don’t do that, you’ll probably have to significantly compromise on something you weren’t intending and ultimately regret.

12. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Make a small silkscreen for doing chassis. It’s not hard, and there’s lots of books.

When you’re not doing chassis, you can make crazy t-shirts and other stuff.

tubegeek and LudwigvonBirk like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.