1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

La Patrie Guitars Rebranded to Godin

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by rsclosson, Jan 26, 2021.

1. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

telestratosonic likes this.
  2. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Makes sense. If anything, the Godin family is too specific about the branding, and of all of them, the LaPatrie fit closest to what's already being branded Godin. Besides, the Godin name now has more clout than any of the subsidiary company's names, as far as I can tell.

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Godin name is more known than LaPatrie even though it was cool that was the name on the headstock and the town where the guitars are made.

I wonder if "Art & Lutherie" and "Simon & Patrick" might follow suit as well. I believe that the "Seagull" brand has enough followers that it will be stand pat.

telestratosonic, fishermike and DougM like this.
  4. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

I know that I have been wanting one for some time now. I played a parlor size motif and it was amazing both for the size and the price.

5. Dan German

What I don't know about running a business would fill the longest thread on TDPRI, but my thinking on potential future commingling is that A&L, being focused towards the entry-level end of things, would stay. Seagull for sure stands by itself (although I find their headstock too skinny), with S&P close behind it now. The one I wonder about is Norman. The Norman name has a certain nostalgia for Canadians of my age, but I can't see what they're doing that the other companies aren't. Not that I'm an expert on All Things Godin. Whatever they do, as long as they keep the guitars coming, I'm a happy man. I'd buy another from any of those companies.

telestratosonic and dr_tom like this.
  6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I've always been curious about the Norman line. Are they exclusive to the domestic (Canadian) market, because I've never seen them in the US. I worked at a store that carried A&L, La Patrie, Seagull, and Godin, but I don't think we ever had access to Norman, or S&P, for that matter. The dealer price lists we had didn't even have those two lines in it, although all the others were.

7. Dan German

I dunno, I live in Canada, and I've only ever seen two Normans in stores (not that I let myself go to music stores very often). It's possible they're Canada only, because I don't think the originals were common elsewhere.

Edit: their website's Dealer Locator shows US locations.

8. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking that the "Norman" line might not be a good fit in the US market...

[​IMG]

9. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Oh great timing. I am looking to get a nylon string acoustic this year (hopefully soon-ish) and these sound perfect. I actually looked at the Godin site a while back but only saw acoustic electrics with controls etc. I want something simple, with no electronics.

watching this thread

10. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The LaPatries are awesome...the little Motif is my favorit3. I hop3 they stay the same.

alnico357 likes this.
  11. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

We sold them at a dealer I worked at between 1995 and 1998, although not during the entire stretch. We were also selling Seagull, and eventually just went with those in favor of the Normans, which were essentially in the same price/quality range. I think the main difference at the time was most of the Normans had glossy finishes.

I've still got a Seagull S6 that picked up during that time as my #1 acoustic. I've played better acoustic guitars, but haven't found one yet that makes me want to spend big bucks for minimal improvement in either tone or playability.

12. Dan German

"Cool guitar, where did you get it?"

"It was my mother's..."

bsman likes this.
  13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I watched a long Ted talk where Robery Godin talked about how the guitar companies came about. The Norman guitars were actually built by hand by a guy named Norman. He and Godin became partners and eventually I think Godin bought him out. They did for a time build "Norman" guitars but it was confusing as some "Norman" guitars were hand built and some later models were massed produced. I am not sure you can even buy a new Norman now.

14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Well as usual I am wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Norman guitars is alive and well. From their website.

Canadian Heritage | Est. 1972
    The Norman brand of guitars has been a part of the heritage and legacy of our company since the very beginning. In fact, it was the first line of guitars that Robert Godin established back in 1972.

Speaking of heritage, the Norman brand has always been and continues to be entirely made right here in Canada from inception to finished product. Each time you play a Norman guitar, you can be sure it is built of high-quality tonewoods and components, and that it will continue to feel and sound as great as the day you first strummed it.

Norman guitars are built by a strong community of hard-working Canadian guitar builders, who are truly dedicated to the craft of guitar making.

Norman has always been about tradition and quality, and we continue to innovate on those same prestigious characteristics by bringing you a more modernized Country design, feel, and sound in the New Norman line of guitars.

From its humble beginnings, to the relentless pursuit of excellence and breaking new grounds in design and playability, Norman is still the brand of Canadians and players the world over.

So it sounds like they aren't going anywhere soon.

telestratosonic and Dan German like this.
  15. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I have a La Patrie Concert. I like it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.