La Cabronita Especial wiring, finding the right S1 switch/pot and knob?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by etype, Jul 19, 2019.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

You'd think that finding the right part (S1 switch/pot and accompanying knob) would be easy if you have the part number, but nope.

Here is the Fender diagram, with the switch/pot listed as part 061263. I cannot find that, but I can find part 061260. Something tells me "close" might not be close enough. Oddly, I can easily find the knob, but no one says what switch it will work on. I have tried "contacting" three parts sellers about compatibility of their parts and no response. At least Allparts warns you that they usually don't respond to such questions as they sell so many parts there is no way for them to know details about any of them.

So I am relying on the collective wisdom of TDPRI. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Is this close enough?

[​IMG]
    Original Fender S-1 switching 500K volume and tone control with solid shaft and 3/8" long bushing for use on instruments without pick guards. 4 pole/double throw push/push switch allows for advanced switching options not possible with standard double pole push/pull pots or mini switches. Used in Fender American and Deluxe model guitars and basses. Fender part number 0061260000

Fender S-1 Pot Specs
    Ohms: 500K Taper: Audio
    Tolerance: +/-15% Pot Diameter: 15/16" (.9375")
    Shaft Material: Brass Threaded Shaft Length: 3/8" (.375")
    Shaft Type: Solid Threaded Shaft Material: Die Cast
    Shaft Diameter: 1/4" Threaded Shaft Diameter: 3/8" (.375")
    Shaft Height: 3/8" (.375") Thread Pitch: 3/8-32NEF

2. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I was in contact with Fender customer service about discontinued replacement parts and they directed me to a third party seller that had exactly what I was looking for. Have you tried contacting Fender directly? They're helpful by phone and by email.

etype likes this.
  3. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Fender gives parts a slightly different part number when it's sold as a replacement/service part. Same part but different handling and packaging.

etype likes this.
  4. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I went a different route. I used a stacked 500/500 pot and added a tone control, used stacked knobs off an active Jazz bass. I also added a treble bleed on the volume pot.

18582021_10155207588709651_9214193509749405702_n.jpg

etype, bender66, Jake Nelson and 2 others like this.
  6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is what I had in mind for my Squier. Someday. I shoulda though of this when I replaced the 250k for the 500.

7. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Awesome looking guitar! We seriously considered the concentric pots, but finally decided to go with the original La Cabronita wiring. Great to see a black one with a rosewood neck (as we got a rosewood 60's Baja neck for this partscaster). Right now, not sure about having any pickguard, but tortoise shell is on the short list.

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The neck is flame maple with a wenge fretboard. I made the neck, tort pickguard and matching tort back cover. The body is Fender, the bridge is Callaham and the pickups are TV Jones Powertrons.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.