1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

La Cab Relic dilemma

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by JTele99, Jul 4, 2015.

1. JTele99

JTele99 TDPRI Member

I want to make my current 2 pup Cab a Single pup relic. (Especial) . It's a Squier, so I'm not worried about screwing it up (too bad). I have already stripped the old paint off to wood. Is there any way at all to fill the neck pup cavity without it showing through over time? It will be a solid black relic finish. I know this has been asked a hundred times, just wanting to know if anyone has done something other than bondo that won't look crazy ugly in six months.

2. Bagman67

Bagman67 Tele-Meister

Well, you could plug the cavity with a chunk of lumber of the same species as the body, rather than stuffing it with bondo. That would at least improve your chances of avoiding exposed pink goop if the relic job extends that far into the face of the guitar. You'll have your hands full getting it done 100% perfectly, but for my money it's a way better fix than auto body filler.

3. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Yup, I'd splice in some lumber, then use some two part clay epoxy to fill and conceal any seams. The epoxy won't shrink or swell once it's cured, so it makes an an excellent filler. Re: the splice, it might be smart to re-rout the pickup pocket into an easier shape to splice into - i.e., a clean rectangle as opposed to whatever's already there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.