1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Kyser mandolin capo - help?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by srblue5, Jan 16, 2021.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I recently bought a Kyser mandolin capo but I'm having a dickens of a time putting it on my mandolin (which admittedly has a slightly chunky neck profile). I was able to get it on the fretboard once but when I went to adjust it (since the treble E string course wasn't properly clamped), I couldn't get it back on. It was taking a lot of force for me to operate/open the capo and by the time I did, my hand was shaking so much that I was worried I would lose the grip on it and drop it.

To be fair, I've never had a Kyser capo before (I usually use a Shubb). Does the spring get looser and the capo get easier to open/handle over time? Or should I be exchanging the capo and/or hitting the gym?

2. Mandocaster68

Mandocaster68 TDPRI Member

I've never had much luck with the Kyser mando/banjo capo on a regular mandolin. I experience great difficulty getting in on in a way that keeps all 4 courses in relative tune, and then I bump it (it protrudes badly) and make things even worse.

I am very satisfied with the D'Addario Planet Waves NS banjo/mandolin capo. Very sleek. It is a little more work to put on, but the tuning stability and smaller footprint make it worthwhile.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.