1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Kyser KLHA Humidifier problem.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by mnutz, Feb 2, 2018.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

IMG_2976.JPG

I purchased this new. Immersed it in distilled water, and when I wiped off the excess... the printed label turned into a goopy, glittery mess.

Anyone else have this problem?

This is the first Kyser I've tried. I've used Dampits in the past with no problems.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Read the instructions: keep dry. :lol:

3. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Guess I missed that.:rolleyes:

4. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Not sure what’s going on but here’s one in my main guitar I’ve just pulled out. Used it for 15 years. IMG_7809.JPG

mnutz likes this.
  5. Stubee

I don’t “immerse it”, just run tap water over it til it’s filled, let it sit, squeeze out the water and use it. Maybe it got immersed to much?

6. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've never had a problem with them. I have two and one of the D'Addario Humidipak that Sweetwater suggested with my new guitar. They all seem to be doing the job.

mnutz likes this.
  7. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I didn't immerse it either. I'm using distilled water, so I just poured a little from the jug, then gave it a quick wipe with a towel, and it was like the ink just melted.

I sent the pic to Sweetwater and they said they hadn't seen that happen before. They are sending me a Planet Waves drop-in (their recommendation) to try instead and refunding the price difference.

8. Stubee

Right; I was just going by what you said in the original post.

Whatever, if it were me I’d likely be distrustful of the Lifeguard, and would try something else, too.

I used plain old ‘Damp-It’s’ for many years before the Kysers, and they worked well for me, too. Kept my Hummingbird intact while camping one summer in the New Mexico mountains for a week, with the guitar only wearing a chipboard case. A guy there at Bandelier had a Martin with no humidifier, and one day opened his case up to find the bridge had completely let go!

I just switched to the Kysers because I liked the concept. I hope whatever ya end up with works out for ya.

mnutz likes this.
  9. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Yep I have used Dampits before too, that's actually all I've ever used. Just thought I'd try something different this time.

Man you are brave! Camping in the mountains with a Hummingbird?! That's awesome!

10. Stubee

It was 1973, no internet of course, and guitars were just guitars. One of the first things my wife ever gifted me with, in late 1974, was a hard shell case for my guitar. She was shocked that I carried it all over the country in that chipboard case, in that old F-100. IMG_3745.JPG

My biggest guitar influence was a guy I met about 1971. He had the best sounding old Gibson I’ve ever played. It was really worn, but sounded tremendous, and I think it was a 1936 Advanced Jumbo or an earlier Jumbo or Trojan. I played a couple of those old AJs many years later, and his was a much darker sunburst, but so worn it was kinda hard to tell.

He’d paid $100 for the old thing, and hitched across the USA several times with that guitar, and no case. Times have changed!

asatfan and mnutz like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.