Kurt Cobain's Acoustic Guitar - Starts at $1m

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, May 18, 2020.

1. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

There’s no such thing as unplugged recorded music. The microphones are plugged into something...Usually mixing boards with delays, modulation, and whatnot.

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I disagree. I’ll leave it at that.

3. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I am not aware of what behavior you are referring to.

4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Except for the entire acoustic era prior to 1925, and those who still record like that today.
    sc150211Cartwright6.jpg

Rowdyman and Whatizitman like this.
  5. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

There are still things coloring the sound, like the microphone and room dynamics.

6. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

it’s a question of degree I suppose, especially on stage. Just MO, not forcing it on anybody.

7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

You know something, I may be second guessing what he was like as a person, off stage. If I am, I stand corrected.

8. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Off stage, as I said to Sloppychops, I may have formed a wrong image. On stage, said it many times, as soon as a band wantonly destroy equipment I lose interest.

9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Geez. Do we really need to debate this?

There’s a far difference between reproducing the sound of an acoustic instrument for recording and amplification, and merely capturing vibrations. The former is the goal of a microphone. The latter is a pickup. Mics transfer acoustical energy. Pickups transfer mechanical energy. That a mic colors the sound is beside the point.

Electric guitars have pickups. Even hollow and semi-hollow ones. But the solid body guitar was invented for a reason. Amplifying acoustic guitars by micing is difficult and problem-prone, particularly when adding other non-stringed instruments. Pickups work far better for this. However, pickups on acoustic guitars do not reproduce the acoustic sounds.

Acoustic guitars sound like acoustic guitars, acoustically. Sure, you can change the signal all you want at the board. But the fundamental sound of an acoustic guitar can only be captured by a microphone. The signal from a pickup can be altered and eq’ed to model acoustic sounds. Always poorly, IMO. I ask what’s the point in an “unplugged” acoustic guitar performance if the actual acoustic sound is not the goal?

Admittedly, most guitarists probably don’t care as much as I do about the difference. But that in no way changes the physical reality of the difference.

Rowdyman likes this.
  10. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Yeah, it bothers me to see decent guitars destroyed, too.

Wrighty likes this.
  11. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I didn't know that guitar came from the factory that way. I think it actually sounds pretty cool:

sloppychops likes this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm only aware of Cobain doing the normal punk rock thing onstage. As far as I can tell, lots of other rock musicianshave gone way past his behavior.

MrDeafeningGuitar likes this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Possibly, probably, but if that’s normal punk rock then I’ve missed a lot. It’s just the smashing good gear that really p****s me off, always has. Others think the same, others don’t, it’s what makes life interesting.

14. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Julien's has a good writer:

Cobain was known for smashing guitars on stage and wreaking havoc with instruments used by the band in their live performances. In contrast, after driving the last song of their MTV Unplugged performance with a primal howling, Cobain held his Martin D-18E guitar with reverence. Ultimately, he placed the guitar carefully back on its stand - almost as a stand-in for himself - and left it center stage as he walked away.

LOL. "[You're buying his spirit]"

https://www.juliensauctions.com/about-auction?id=326

15. 3-Chord-Genius

Yeah, he did some of that but wasn't really known for it, like Townsend, etc. In high school I remember a lot of the punks and mods who hated rock, but liked The Who..... or at least walked around in overcoats with giant "The Who" emblems on them. Perhaps like teens today walking around in Hendrix shirts not being able to name a single song.

Oh, Hendrix....another guy known for famously destroying an instrument. Heck, even Garth Brooks did this. I think he actually studied marketing or something like that before becoming a musician and knew exactly how to take country music into an arena rock level.

16. MrDeafeningGuitar

MrDeafeningGuitar TDPRI Member

I'm sure I Wouldn't for the guitar it's self... But as investment if I had the money... That would be a different story:)

17. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I bet Garth would have got where he is on talent alone without ever smashing a guitar, so, probably, would most of tge others who do it. A good musician shouldn’t have to rely on the element who just go along to see the gear destroyed at the end. Talent will out.

18. 3-Chord-Genius

True, but keep in mind music is above all else, a business. People pay to see a show, and the more exciting the better. In concerts the visuals are as important as the music. I've seen Pink Floyd three times, and they are one boring bunch to watch. However, they know the importance of putting on a show, which is why they have a trillion watts of lasers, etc., huge disco ball, enormous stage and everything else. Without those things, their live shows would absolutely suck.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

All true, just don’t see wrecking the stage as entertaining.

20. 3-Chord-Genius

I get that. Some people do, though. When appropriate.....if The Carpenters did it that would be something!!!

Wrighty likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.