Kurt Cobain's Acoustic Guitar - Starts at $1m

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, May 18, 2020.

1. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

Sometimes I think the same thing. I think DG is a very good drummer. But without the charismatic steamroller of Nirvana? Would we know his name?

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  2. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I saw and listened to a lot of those bands. It was also a good time to be in a band because people appreciated and valued original music.

Can’t even describe how different it was to those born after the internet.

Live music was powerful for me. One show Henry Rollins’ sweat was flying into my face and the next it would be Aerosmith or Guns and Roses in a coliseum, the Pixies and Pere Ubu in a mid-sized club, Jane’s Addiction, NIN, Living Color, etc. at the first Lollapoalooza with a bunch of frat boys and a little tattoo/piercing tent off to the side that hinted on what was to come.

Every band seemed at least pretty good to me at that time. A lot of them were technically not that great, but I liked anything that seemed rebellious. I even got to see Gatton a couple times but I didn’t understand what I was seeing.

I bought a lot of records and tapes, Soundgarden, etc. My friends would do mix tapes for each other.

Nirvana came around like a lot of other music. Somebody would give you a tape of something and you’d listen to it. Or you went to the record store that had the smaller label stuff.

Whatever floated around had to compete with Ramones and Misfits and all the other earlier music that was still required listening.

Somebody brought Nevermind to a pool party so I remember hearing it for the first time, but I had some dubs of their earlier records.

I just called it rock music, although you could distinguish obviously uncommercial bands from others.

Any band on MTV was basically considered commercial music for the most part.

I listened to all of it, from what is now called hair metal to death metal.

I watched and shared the stage with a lot of bands that ended up becoming well known. It was easy to get hurt bad at some of these shows. Lot of aggression.

The prevailing current of cynicism of the time was a type of dread.

Dread was marketed to what was called “slackers.” Usually middle class white kids complaining about how bad their life was and trying their best to sulk around and not be seen doing too much.

I wasn’t a slacker because I worked my butt off and wasn’t into the drug scene, very driven and ambitious, although I looked just as ridiculous I’m sure.

Nirvana had the dread, but looking back there was something special there. Song-writing and melodies/chords were contagious and different. Ticked me off when K.C. died and Gatton, too.

I didn’t want to go that route, but I knew a lot of young artists and musicians that were very much like Kurt Cobain, and while there was something brilliant about all of them, a lot of them were self-destructive.

Plus, they all played the crappiest guitars that somehow seemed awesome to me at the time!

Jackroadkill likes this.
  3. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Exactly. And again, not a knock on the guy. He sings better than me, plays guitar better than me, writes better songs than me, and has a better beard than me!

cravenmonket likes this.
  4. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

If you read the history of him getting the guitar, it all seems a bit more palpable. It's a Martin guitar that was MANUFACTURED with the pick up in it. As soon as this Unplugged episode aired, the price of these guitars skyrocketed.

Duh.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

And Sinatra’s larynx is worth a billion. Ha ha ha. I’ll just implant it in my throat and seduce the world.

I have been trying to break my children’s habit of making super sassy gotcha comments while we have been stuck at home. It’s hard.

cravenmonket likes this.
  6. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

Also, I've watched the video (I own the CD) over and over, I love it.

That guitar doesn't strike me as a particularly good sounding guitar in the least.

7. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The fact remains that he not only managed to step out from Cobain's shadow but also very firmly establish himself in his own right, if he could have done so without having been in Nirvana is always up for debate but the fact that he's somebody so driven, would have made him a big name regardless.

cravenmonket likes this.
  8. Blazer

[​IMG]
    As I pointed out in the second page of the replies, Kurt's main acoustic at the time was a sixties Epiphone Jumbo, similar to a J-200
    [​IMG]
    And everybody was telling him "Forget about the Martin, use your Epiphone, it sounds so much better"

But apparently Kurt began to love the challenge the Martin presented him with.

9. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

Quite possible. I'm not debating he's a phenomenal force all by himself. I think he earned everything he got. And he positioned himself to launch up out of the ashes of Nirvana under circumstances which would have buried most people. I'm not sure I would have had the spirit to do what Dave did after seeing my mega-band crash and burn at its peak.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

No, it sounds terrible. But that seems consistent with his preference for low-fi gear. I remember buying a mid 70's Fender Mustang for fairly cheap, before the Nirvana era. I'd never be able to afford one these days.

Turtleneck likes this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember hearing some song off the 1st Foo Fighters record at a record store ! Remember those ? :lol:
    Back when theyd have a spot behind the register where they’d put the cover of what they were currently playing instore.

Huh ? Ray gun - cool. Oh - this is the solo record by the drummer of Nirvana ?

Seriously, the drummer of Nirvana ? Yeah, I’ll take one .

It still holds up .

It’s completely a solo record and he plays almost everything on it . It’s a great rock record and a majority of lyrics are nonsense - just something to sing.

Really surprising debut and I wonder if it was true what Grohl says about Kurt being stoked when Dave told him about songs he had written that he wanted to maybe play him in consideration for the next Nirvana record. “Cool - then I don’t have to come up with everything...”

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

13. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Hey, record stores are back. And a lot of the customers are youngish kids. In Detroit, there's Third Man Records, which you surely must have heard of. They not only sell records, they make them.

14. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Yeah Kris Novoselic tried the rock band after nirvana, it was called sweet 75 i think, but wasn't nearly as successful as DG. He switched to politics.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  15. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

Didn’t Mary Lou Lord buy him that guitar?

Any, I have LOL at people making the Hendrix vs. Cobain (my dog’s bigger than your dog), that guitar isn’t all that good, that guitar sounds like crap comments.

Nirvana was one of the most influential bands of a generation and the “Unplugged” show was played nonstop. It’s an iconic piece of rock history.

sloppychops and TokyoPortrait like this.
  16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Count me in that group, I guess. My thoughts on the Unplugged performance then (and now) were the same as every other MTV Unplugged performance.

I. Hate. Pickups. On. Acoustics.

Either actually play unplugged, or play an electric, fergawdsakes!

The novelty of the show in those years was that rock bands would play acoustic versions of their songs. To me, they all sounded horrible, because they all used acoustics with pickups. That the show was called Unplugged in the first place was a sick joke to me. They all used pickups and plugged in. Few, if any, mic’ed their acoustics. They were not unplugged. Period. End of story.

I recognize Nirvana as an iconic band. But I can’t consider the Unplugged performance iconic in its own right, because it sounded awful to me. Same with every other Unplugged performance back then. Alice In Chains included.

Apart from that, I have no other opinion on the guitar itself, price or otherwise. It’s considered iconic, and will sell accordingly. My thoughts on Nirvana good or bad will have zero effect on that.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  17. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Wait, who the (montage of) heck is Molly Bloom? I just played my first ever game of Cluedo the other day. Is there someone else in the house I don't know about?

Pax/
    Dean

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  18. Blazer

He tried again with a critically acclaimed Eyes adrift but had the misfortune of doing so when Nu-metal was in full swing, the record company didn't want to promote the album.

He then played bass with the hardcore band Flipper

and Currently plays with a band called Giants in the trees.

ping-ping-clicka and johnny k like this.
  19. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like flipper especially live, a fun bunk of guys to bad about the fates that some of them got eaten by.
    Hey a New Death sludge metal band "EATEN BY FATE"

20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Molly Bloom is an Irish version of a Succubi that haunted James Joyce for years and years who previously had haunted the Poet
    Shelley and Lord Byron. She was an Irish holy women who practiced ritual magic and some time later, had accidently invented the first distortion pedal and the cuisinart. She would visit Mary Shelly and tell her grotesque stories which Mary liked a lot , one of which she liked so much, she wrote it down and took it to a publisher and the rest is history.:rolleyes:........ it could happen:oops:

76587802b3d70ce0d122a238198379eb.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.