Kurt Cobain's Acoustic Guitar - Starts at $1m

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, May 18, 2020.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

The jury is still out on that one.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  2. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

The price seems fair, considering that the sweater sold for $334,000.

" Kurt Cobain’s famed green cardigan from Nirvana’s MTV Unplugged concert sold for $334,000 at auction Saturday, establishing a new record for the most expensive sweater ever sold at auction and more than doubling its finalhttps://www.rollingstone.com/music/...nplugged-sweater-sells-334000-auction-904246/-bid sale price from just four years ago."

kurt-cobain-unplugged-sweater-sale-again.jpg

sloppychops likes this.
  3. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

The level of morphine in Cobain's body was 3x the lethal amount, even for a hard addict. (Heroin converts to morphine in the bloodstream.)

In 2014, undeveloped photos from the crime scene were finally developed. Among those were photos of the shotgun. Seattle Police Dept. police chief Norm Stamper: "It's about right and wrong. It's about honor. It's about ethics," Stamper says in the film ("Soaked in Bleach"). "If we didn't get it right the first time, we damn well better get it right the second time, and I would tell you right now if I were the chief of police, I would reopen this investigation."

Here's a photo of a Seattle police detective holding the shotgun found beside Kurt's body:

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 12.36.40 PM.png

I'm not going to into all the bizarre shiit Courtney Love was pulling at the time, but just look at this rifle and tell me how someone with 3x the lethal dose of heroin in his body is going to hold that gun up to his head and pull the trigger.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  4. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Cobain, Hendrix, not in the same league, prices are stupid for any guitar but pro rate the Strat is ‘worth’ so much more.

5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

When you’re talking about an auction for a guitar with special provenance, it is useless to base the assessment on the value of the same model of guitar without the same provenance. The only thing that matters is how much the opposing bidders are willing to bid it up.

Thought experiment: Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk both read Lost Moon, and develop an obsession with Apollo 13. Jim Lovell’s granddaughter ends up strapped for cash, and puts his wedding ring up for auction that he wore in flight. The value of the gold is maybe $600.

The ONLY thing that determines the value of the *ring* is how much either Elon or Jeff is willing to pay. And that is probably a lot more than $600, because of their considerable resources. Would they pay 3 million for the space ring? 20 million? 20 million is 5 thousandths of a percent of Elon’s net worth, and less than 1 thousandth of a percent of Bezos’s net worth.

In 2008, how much do we think Cobain’s D-18E is “worth”? Financial crisis, Gen X hasn’t had as much time to accumulate wealth - it’s probably worth a lot less than $1,000,000 in 2008. But that’s not because Cobain was less significant then, or that he was worse of a guitar player in 2008 than he is now. It’s purely because of the circumstances of the market.

If Jeff Bezos loves Seattle rock music history, and really wants that D-18E, it’s worth exactly $1 more than how much the SECOND bidder is willing to pay. That’s just how it works.

Masmus likes this.
  6. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I’m not talking absolute worth, just relative worth. Hendrix vs Cobain. I would venture Hendrix = Cobain x 10, or more.

7. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

But what if I like Nirvana more than Jimi? Trying to establish relative value of an artist is even more useless than trying to establish an absolute value of an object.

Aside: wouldn't it be cool if both of the most expensive guitars ever sold were from Seattle artists?

TokyoPortrait, CajunJ and Uncle Bob like this.
  8. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Good observation, jon!

9. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

See your point, one man’s junk and all that. Don’t see the link? Seattle, Washington.

10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I like Nirvana just fine. But I can't say they're important enough in my world to drop $1 million on an acoustic just because Kurt played it, even if money was no object.
    I'm sure that will tick off some folks here, but c'est la vie.
    At least the price for Gilmour's top two Strats is somewhat justified by the money going to charity.
    YMMV, and that's fine.

11. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Meister

Haven’t read the whole thread, but if this would have been up for auction a few weeks ago I would have bid a 12 pack of toilet paper. I would have stopped if it got to 2 packs. We all have to be somewhat sensible

12. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Nirvana wrote good songs. They played their songs with feeling. In short they were a good band. I realize that no band appeals to everyone, but I am struck by how many people feel moved to share how they didn't like Nirvana. There are bands that do nothing for me, but when I see a thread about them I don't feel the need to chime in with my criticisms.

The guitar is an unmodified example of a Martin D-18E. Cobain did not "desecrate" it.

ElJay370 and Uncle Bob like this.
  13. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Yeah - I've always shaken my head over the bile and hatred for Cobain I've not infrequently seen in guitar discussions. I'm not aware that he killed anybody's dog, raped their daughter, or otherwise conducted himself in a way that harmed anybody but himself and his family (same thing that can be said about perhaps a majority of famous musicians) but for some reason, his very name seems to engender a sort of visceral response in some guitarists. I don't know - maybe they suffered a financial burden when their shares of Aqua-Net and Spandex-Pants-R-Us crashed???

[​IMG]

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure about that....Hendrix revolutionized guitar and rock music, changing the sound for decades. Cobain did that also. I still hear current rock music with the obvious Cobain influence nearly 30 years later. Rock and roll badly needed Nirvana because it was at the time a cesspool of recycled Warren/Winger/Skid Row crap.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Fendereedo likes this.
  15. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I would have to agree with you on that. Who didn't hear Nirvana unplugged in those days.

marc2211, 3-Chord-Genius and stnmtthw like this.
  16. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I think the lucky kid is the ex husband. At least that is how i understood it.

bsman likes this.
  17. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Back then, i loved nirvana, and that unplugged album was the record i couldn't stand. I liked the other ones fine though.

Fendereedo likes this.
  18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

does being born in '48 qualify me as a boomer?

I mean, don't we just love it when we have the tragic artist syndrome to let our romantic fantasies feed on, oh don't we love it?
    Somebody, a celebrity falls to tragedy. die for me and I will lionize you, and in my vampiric rapture I will be faithful to your cult of personality, be an Icon that I can venerate, my voyeurism is yours, all yours and now that you're gone you can not reject me.

whoopsie.... is that to cynical ? or is it true? excuse me I have to go light a candle for Lil Richard and Judy Garland

fattboyzz likes this.
  19. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

nah, It was Colonel Mustard and Molly Bloom.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.