Kurt Cobain's Acoustic Guitar - Starts at $1m

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, May 18, 2020.

1. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I think it will easily go for more than 1 mil. The Julien's auction for Walter Becker's guitars and amps had opening bids way, way, way below what they ended up selling for. I'd venture to say Cobain's Martin is more iconic than any of Walter's gear.

If I had craploads of cash, I'd probably bid on it. But only if it came with that ratty sweater.

uriah1 likes this.
  2. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

I'm not seeing any of the disrespect you speak of here bsman. Is questioning the asking price of the guitar considered disrespect of the artist?

3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

uriah1 likes this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It’s the nature of the inter-webs. A couple months ago it was Taylor Swift. Cobain and his music are iconic. He spoke to an entire generation.
    The guy was talented.
    I could trash many modern country artists but I recognize the talent in some of them.

5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Frances was accumulating royalties on Cobain’s work while she was a child and unable to spend extravagantly. Courtney was spending wild without producing much and also nursing a pretty serious substance abuse problem. Makes sense to me that Frances has more leftover than Courtney.

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Good comment Jackroadkill but I think Mark Knopfler CAD Schecter strat would be a guitar I'd pay for if I had the $$$$$.

Jackroadkill likes this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

He makes a Trini sound so good. They look really cool also.

8. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know but I think the price is worth it to someone as a piece of history. I have a soft spot for his performance because I was a 22 year old SRV wannabe and I saw this and realized "You can write a song with the same basic beginner chords everybody knows" It sounds obvious and stupid, but this performance sent me on my journey to being a songwriter and for that I am thankful

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

it’s a generational thing.

a lot of older boomers/boomers in general shrug their shoulders at Nirvana/Soundgarden/Screaming Trees/etc because they weren’t there.

of course they were alive during that period but they had no stake/interest in what those bands did.

what those bands helped eradicate.

plus , when a band that’s barely on their radar is lionized to the extent that Nirvana is/was, they get suspicious and dismissive - and ultimately - a little defensive.

10. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Just curious - what did those bands help eradicate? Not trying to be a smarta$$, just want to know what you mean by that.

11. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

They helped eradicate the destruction of the ozone layer:

[​IMG]

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Obviously some of these bands are still big, some of them don’t belong (Van Halen towers over all those groups, wasn’t a hair band, and predates most), but it was the idea that any of that pink/lime pointy guitar music was worth a crap in the first place.

I’ve said this before but, the first times I heard both Outshined and Teen Spirit I realized how even more ridiculous the aqua net bands instantly sounded. And how they didn’t have a chance*.

Unskinny Bop ? :rolleyes:

I think people needed the punk + Sabbath thing more than they realized

*Lita Ford is still mad at “grunge” bands and yet Joan Jett just kept on rockin’...:lol:

2F2FF21F-A646-4F6D-B09F-FEC0BB5078EE.jpeg

13. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Although at age 62 I'm hardly in the same cohort as the average "Grunge" fan, Nirvana and a number of loosely associated acts I was listening to on college radio (KFJC, in my case) got me back into music. I had been active during the late 70s as punk became a thing, but after getting married in 79, moving to SE Idaho (hardly a hotbed of music) in 81, having a kid in 83, and finishing college from 85-87 I had no time for it, sold off all my gear and moved on to other things. After I finished school, I moved to the Bay Area and started getting interested in music again, and the fact that rack was moving away from hair metal, synthesized pop, etc. and starting to be more organic again inspired me to get that Squier II Strat and a Peavey Rage - and I was off.

skunqesh and Mike Eskimo like this.
  14. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, both her parents were drug addicts, and her dad offed himself when she was a year and a half old.

What a lucky kid.:rolleyes:

fattboyzz and bsman like this.
  15. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I pointed this out before but it needs to be repeated.

Grunge didn't kill off Hair metal, the change from "Let's party" to "Party's over" started four years prior to "Nevermind" being released. And you only need to look at one album which started the shift.
    [​IMG]
    Because although Guns N Roses came from the same scene as the Hair Metal bands, they decided to forgo the brightly colored spandex and poofed up hair. But more importantly, the also decided to forgo the Hair metal lexicon about singing about how many chicks they shared the bed with and the Eddie Van Halen rip off guitar playing.

Instead we got songs about:
    - Substance abuse (Mr. Brownstone, Night Train)
    - Poverty (Paradise city, look up the lyrics, this is NOT the happy declaration to LA everybody mistakes it to be.)
    - Abusive relationships (Sweet Child O' Mine, Again, look up the lyrics.)

And people latched onto that "Yeah, I got nothing to be happy about!" and with that album becoming the success it became opened the doors for similar bands to become big, take the album charts from 1987 until 1991 and look what were big sellers and you can see the change. Here's what came out in those days.
    * Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Uplift Mofo Party Plan" and "Mother's milk"
    * Jane's addiction - "Nothing shocking" and "Ritual de lo habitual"
    * Metallica - "And Justice for all" and "Metallica"
    * The Pixies - Pretty much their seminal discography
    * Living colour - "Vivid" and "Time's up"
    * REM - "Document", "Green" and "Out of time"
    * The Cure - "Disintegration"

All of them million sellers. Nirvana's "Nevermind" wasn't the start of the change, it was the finish.

16. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

“Dave is the most well-adjusted boy I know.” - Kurt Cobain

17. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

no the guy that got the guitar! i was sarcastically saying he was a lucky kid

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  18. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

"...her dad offed himself when she was a year and a half old"

I don't believe Kurt killed himself. I think Courtney Love did.

19. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, I misunderstood.

ben smith likes this.
  20. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Whether you like his music or not that’s quite the historic and iconic guitar to his fans, and will sell for a lot of money.

Very cool item. Good for whoever buys it! I’m also $999, 999 short

Jim622 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.