Kubota & Stihl fans?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Aug 1, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

As a kid tractors had to be green if they were not steam powered or a Rumley Oil Pull. The ski area where I'm one of the directors has a 4x4 Kubota. It's used for mowing, moving dirt with bucket and utility. We also use tractor PTO to blow snow up to the ski jumps. I'm not sure about all Kubotas but the thing never ceases to amaze me with the abuse it's taken and it still working.

The implement and power tool places are often shaking their heads with what we do to machines and tools. I guess farming, construction and landscaping are tame compared to ski areas and trail building.

I know there are Husqvarna diehards and I've used those chainsaws but we have almost all Stihl saws, Kombis, trimmers and blowers. That's mostly proximity to a service place but it does seem like good stuff. Stuff our trail volunteers bring seems to break a lot but might not be comparable grade. I hate two stroke smell and noise so am happy when others do that stuff but always worry about chainsaw use. Those of us with the FSTA cert and experience know how bad accidents can be.

Much less fun is our needing a new PistenBully by November. Anyone complaining in the used pickup truck prices thread will probably hush up if you do some PistenBully shopping.

2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, fans of both.

and I kind of like 2 stroke smell. reminds me of the adrenaline rush of my dirt bike days.

rickthescot likes this.
  3. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I'd like to admit a couple of things. I had to look up pistenbully.

I like tractors especially old ones. I really know nothing about them, but i'm learning.

I've been comparing Kubota to the green colored ones. Its a very competitive market and its not easy comparing tractors of any given horsepower or pto or what ever hitch system or metrics you like. You really need to understand your expectations and the capability of each model. It looks like a tough choice given the pricing of that equipment.

I own two stihls a weed trimmer and a small chainsaw. I like'em.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Kubota and Stihl. No doubt, the best in both fields. Almost everyone I know, uses Stihl chanisawas (I have three) and weedeaters (1) up here and three of my neighbors have 4x4 Kabotas (three different sizes), which I have occasionally borrowed. I think what makes the Kabota so good is not only the 4x4, but the well engineered use of plate steel to keep them light. Over time, the journals will wear, but just welding in simple plates to develop new journals, just keep these things going and going.
    For Stihl, I think the main issue is cost and weight, but in the long run they are king.

5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I'm a die hard Stihl fan. I am also a fan of Mikita hand tools. Tractors, well I have to go with big red, Massey-Ferguson. That's just the way I swing.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Not a Stihl fan anymore. I just sold my new weed whacker "as is for parts" on craig's list. It starts, but idles only.. dying when you try to speed it up. No jet control on the carb due to EPA regs I suppose. It was bought last summer after my Ryobi quit after several years of easy starting.
    -I only use non ethanol gas
    -I ran it dry last fall. Only used it twice since new.
    -Stihl sales outlet "couldn't get to it for 3 weeks"
    -I had the carb off it twice screwing around. Everyone said buy a new carb! Screw that ...it's a new tool.
    -JMHO but Stihl is living on their old rep with crappy new stuff.

I decided to try an electric trimmer. Couldn't be happier. In the past I spent more time trying to get my whackers to run than I did trimming. Now I can plug it in and trim a bit or a lot on a moment's notice. Surprising how the electric doesn't bog down too!

My "new last year" Stihl chainsaw couldn't be started this year either, but being tenacious I finally go it going and it starts now.
    I will never buy anything with the name Stihl on it again.

I went whole hog into Makita cordless stuff several years ago. Ended up with like 4 electric tools (drill, trim skil saw, sabre saw etc) that took the same batteries. Had 3 or 4 batteries so thought I was set up! Expensive stuff. Shortly after getting it all all the batteries failed. The switch on one tool also failed. These tools had very little homeowner style use. They sell the batteries for about as much as the tools. I threw it all in the dumpster. The $30 Black and Decker cheap cordless drill I bought lasted 5 years. About 2.5 times the Makitas.
    I will never buy anything Makita again.

Kubota diesels seem real good.
    The stars don't seem aligned for me on Makita or Stihl.

MickM likes this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Kubota diesel in a bobcat that's bullet proof. I'm not a fan of Stihl or two strokes in general. Honda commercial 4 stroke are the pinnacle when it comes to motors for work imo. They wont die. They should be using the racing 4 stroke technology to replace two strokes on things like quickcut demo saws, chainsaws etc imo.

My machines are all over 15yo so I don't know how the latest generation gear is going these days. I bought a new Husqvarna 14 inch quick cut demo saw a few years ago and it started easy and worked well for the couple months I owned it before some scumbag smashed my passenger side window out and stole it.

My honda powered machines, compaction plates, generator, lawnmower, kanga skidsteer loader all live outside in the weather and have done for over 15 years. All work every time with one or two pulls. Ive never worried about leaving fuel in them, rarely serviced them if ever. Just replace the air filters every few years.

I used a stihl quick cut saw for 5 years and it was constantly breaking down and hard to start when it was running right.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    trev333 likes this.
  8. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I have a Stihl string trimmer that is 5 or 6 years old and it has never let me down. Last year I ran it dry along with my lawnmower the last time I used it. Unfortunately, I forgot that I lent it out to a friend after that. He was trying to be helpful, so when he returned it to my shed he returned it with a full tank of gas. When I pulled it out this spring I thought I was screwed, but I just emptied the tank, put fresh gas in and it fired right up. That one took maybe 10 pulls, but other than that it fires up on the second or third pull no matter what.

As for power tools I'm a Milwaukee guy. Their batteries seem bulletproof. Milwaukee is starting to get into landscape tools, so when my gas models die I'll probably try out the Milwaukee battery powered ones. But that Stihl will probably be with me for awhile I'm thinking.

9. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Two brands I love. My Stihl MS260 has been flawless for about 18 years, and my little B2320 the same for 7-8 years. They often work together back in the NW ONT bush. 867713C5-19EB-42B0-95CC-F39284D28B89.jpeg

Obsessed and drf64 like this.
  10. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Probably not a very helpful comment at this point, but I have had better luck leaving fuel in my Stihl machines over winter (with Stihl branded two stroke oil mixed in) than I have had running them dry. It seems pretty counter intuitive to me, I haven't had to pull the carb or get one serviced in the 5 or 6 years since I stopped draining them for winter.

11. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Having a job as an arborist in utility line clearance in the past and working with chainsaws day in and day out you develop some preferences ... If I were shopping with my wallet to start out on my own business, I'd probably buy a new echo climbing saw and husqvarna ground saw and use them to make the money to buy new stihl equipment the next year. The initial saws would still be serviceable for years and make great backups until they've depreciated out of use entirely. Notice I didn't say buy used stihl ... which is to say buying used chainsaws is a lot like buying vintage amps ... the other guy you know who does it has all the luck, you're the guy at the saw shop all the time getting nickel and dimed to death.

12. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

I used to work doing floor planning audits for Kubota, John Deere. Case/New Holland, and some other companies. If your buying a compact tractor or smaller, buy by price and who will give you the best service, choose the color you like last. They all use the same engines and transmissions. They just paint a different color.

My Craftsman riding mower is identical to the Husqvarna next door except for color. When I was an associate buyer back in the '80s, I went to the MTD factory. They had 3 rows of tractors there at the time. One was yellow(cub cadet, one grey(craftsman) and one red(murry). All identical tractors except for color.

13. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Fan of Vierzon tractors (SFV Société Française de Vierzon) :

-tbln

Obsessed and imwjl like this.
  14. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Kubota's are fine, but depending on your needs, it's a lot more economical to get an older Ag tractor. I bought a 1978 David Brown 885 in 2012 for $5k. 40 some horses, Perkins Diesel engine, with a FEL, but the thing is the iron in that beast makes it much more usable for pulling, hauling and dumping, plus a Cat II 3Pt hitch. I would not have been able to get near a comparable Kubota. HST is not a priority for me. ymmv.

15. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Use both at work, Kubota is a first (season)[​IMG]

Edit; also the first season we're (partly) using accu Stihl's.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Stubee likes this.
  16. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've had my mid sized John Deere tractor for almost 20 years, still going strong. I'm on my second JD riding mower - stepped up to an X300 after beating a JD Sabre to death)

I have a Stihl chainsaw and weed wacker, no complaints with either.

We maintain a 15 acre property, and we're pretty hard on our tools. I've been through a bunch of weed wackers over the years, and I am very happy with the Stihl I have now. But I will say, the best one I ever had was a John Deere. I bought it when I first got my property 20 years ago, and that thing was a work horse. Sadly, they don't make them anymore, and it needed to much work to justify the high prices for JD parts to rebuild.

Cheers,
    Doug

Stubee likes this.
  17. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I have had a Stihl chainsaw for about 10 years. Itnnismok but really picky about gas. If it the gas has sat more than a week it will not work. The chain also wants to come loose pretty easily. It was a CR recommended model with a 16 inch bar. Don't remember the model.

The shop I bought it from let me borrow a used model while mine was being worked on, and it was awesome. Bigger and older but a great saw.

18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm too occupied with the work day but what I saw looked like a hot bulb engine. I love that stuff. We go to an old ag machine thresheree near us almost like church but once a year. For me it's decades because my dad worked on their steam stuff when I was a kid.

The Kubota I'm talking about seems bigger.

These days I don't sharpen chains but I do have a beloved old scythe I care for. This is a small ski area (private club), alpine, Nordic, jumping, biathlon and miles of MTB trails and dirt jumps.

We also have one old Massey-Ferguson pretty much dedicated to blowing snow to the top a 60 meter ski jump and a John Deere mini excavator. IIRC, lots of the mini excavators are same Japanese OEM.

BTW, calling the Kubota (M6800) light is relative. It's got ballast tires, a scoop and sinks really fast working too close to the creek.

19. Obsessed

PSA (well, perhaps PM(maintenance)A:
    With 2-stroke chainsaws, comes important maintenance regardless of manufacturer. The chain will keep stretching for about the first 10 hours of use. With a new chain installed, tighten it up after each fueling. Also, clean your intake air filter often and don't forget to clean the exhaust spark arrester plate once inawhile (this will keep your saw from starting or going beyond idle). On the weedeaters, be prepared to replace the clear flexible plunger every year or two.

About Stihl. They have a huge selection of chainsaws. Some are fully rebuildable, some are not. So purchase based upon total expected life. Make sure that you use the light bar chain oil when operating below freezing and don't forget to flip around the summer/winter plastic plug ... twice a year in cold climates.

20. Obsessed

Your ski hill has a biathlon course?! Wow, I competed during the 80s and still have my Anschutz, but I have to make my own course on the property nowadays.:rolleyes:

imwjl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.