Krystal Files For Bankruptcy!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, crap. Krystal is filing for bankruptcy. For those who don't know, Krystal is a hamburger joint. They have the same burgers as White Castle. My Uncle George used to take me to Krystal for hamburgers when I was a little kid. I was small but I felt kinda big because I could eat so many of those tiny delicious burgers. I probably haven't had a Krystal burger in 30 years or more but they were good, as I recall.

Have you ever had a Krystal burger?

emisilly, shupe13 and Fretting out like this.
  2. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

I ate there just a few hours ago!

They are closing some locations, but it looks like they will re-structure.

Somehow they lost their way in the sea of burger places, even though they
    have a great product.

I think they quit focusing on breakfast, which was a big deal for them, and
    that hurt also.

I was friends in college with a guy from Chattanooga who was related to the
    owners, back then there was no stopping Krystal.

Torren61 and Fretting out like this.
  3. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

I buy em by the case!

Torren61 likes this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Still enjoy a Krystals every now and then, with a bowl of chili. However, I will say, the younger bunch don't seem to like Krystals. It was always rejected when selecting a burger joint with my kids, and their friends/teams. You get one guess which burger place continues to distance itself from all others, amongst our younger folk. Now 4:1 versus the #2.

Torren61 likes this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

From the AJC: https://www.ajc.com/news/local/how-...nded-bankruptcy-court/DhKqNuFPqlDGfJyhai7dZI/

Krystal chief restructuring officer Jonathan Tibus said the restaurant industry has faced “headwinds due to a combination of shifting consumer tastes and preferences, growth in labor and commodity costs, increased competition and unfavorable lease terms. The proliferation of fast casual restaurants, as well as online delivery platforms, has created new competition for traditional quick-service chains. Moreover, quick-service restaurants have faced increasing difficulty finding and retaining qualified employees in the current labor market.”

That pretty much sums up their situation although it kind of glosses over the serious financial missteps by their former CEO who got them caught up in those bad lease terms and loans in a failed expansion attempt.

It does figure that a strong economy is hurting their ability to find people to work at their locations. Most seem poorly managed as compared to a lot of other chains so when people have options, they leave.

Their menu is a bit outdated in today's gluten-free keto trendy world but they missed their strength, nostalgia. Instead of focusing on this, they came up with sub-par premium products that their low skilled employees couldn't execute well on the equipment present in most of their restaurants. And, their fries are awful.

My turnaround plan for them would be: (1) to learn from Chick-fil-a on how to handle employee relationships and customer service; (2) Great fries; (3) add a few easy to execute healthy options and stick with them; (4) concentrate on the nostalgia marketing angle, including in in-store experience, no more drive-thru only stores; (5) Don't fall into the expand at all costs financial trap

emisilly, Torren61 and nojazzhere like this.
  6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yah, we're on our last Krystal in town. A shame, really. There's nothing better at 2am than everybody dumping their pockets and purses to scrape up enough cash to get something to eat after a night of bar hopping.

As teenagers, it was our late-night hangout. As adults, cheap comfort food.

Torren61 likes this.
  7. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I've seen them closing all over for years, only guessed they were having problems. My favorite fast food, honest soggy junk. Meat pudding as a friend described them. Though something changed during all these closings. The burgers lost their steamed , soggy buns.As the buns got less moist they lost their appeal.

LutherBurger and Torren61 like this.
  8. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

I was a Drill Sergeant at Ft. Benning, GA many years ago and I'd stop at the one in Columbus on Veterans Parkway. That's the only place I have seen one.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

emisilly, Hiker and Torren61 like this.
  9. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    There is an intersection in Nashville that has Krystal on one corner...diagonally across from it is a White Castle.

The Nexus of the Universe!

BTW..White Castle patties have 5 holes, Krystals do not.
    :)

emisilly, Hiker, kuvash and 5 others like this.
  10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

They are staying open during the restructuring.

Lots of memories with Krystal. One: I went to college a couple of miles from the mansion of the owner in Lookout Mountain, TN, and passed by it often, Another from the Krystal near my home while I was working as a fireman: A guy was trying to start his car in the parking lot. Apparently he shot too much carburetor fluid into and around the carburetor. As I was eating I saw flames leap from the engine, about eight feet of flame pouring out and igniting the insulation on the underside the hood and the insulation on the wiring and hoses. Everyone in the place turned and just stared dumbly while the guy was hopping around, frantically trying to figure out how to salvage his car. I went to the Krystal grillmaster and asked him for the fire extinguisher. He handed it over and I went out and put out the fire. I returned the extinguisher with thanks. When I when I went back to my food it was like the scene from Tavern on the Green in Ghost Busters: Everyone turned around and went back to their food and conversations like nothing had happened.

I love their little cheeseburgers in the cardboard cartons. A college kid could live on three of those and a small drink.

Bob

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like they need to get with the times and include gluten free items on their menu, Almond milk smoothies, Avocado Toast, low fat skinny fapaccino's, vegan items and communal selfie friendly rest rooms with free wifi etc.

nojazzhere, Vibrolux59 and mkdaws32 like this.
  12. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

False. They have similar burgers to White Castle, but somehow are nowhere near as good. It's one of few food items where the Midwest version is actually better than the Southern version.

13. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Absolutely true. White Castle is on another level.

guitarguy1964 and Torren61 like this.
  14. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Never heard of Krystal, in Seattle it's still a bag of "Dick's"
    Neither name appetizing.

DonM, Bassman8, Torren61 and 2 others like this.
  15. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

If they do all that they should change their name to Chez Kry'stal.

Torren61, nojazzhere and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That would work, sounds catchy. :)

Torren61 likes this.
  17. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I always figured Krystal was a sister chain to White Castle. As such, I purposely avoided them. White Castle..... There are no words....

Torren61 and Flakey like this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

In related news, gastroenterologists across the state are looking at the real possibility of having to work second jobs...:eek:

19. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Yes, and I found it to be greasy and unappealing.

Torren61 likes this.
  20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

My experience as well when I was stationed there. It was usually the last stop after a night out at Dallas when we were going back on to post. Since then I've never seen another one.

shupe13 and Torren61 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.