Krivo Resonator Guitar Pick up

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by keithb7, Jan 16, 2020.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Recently I was looking around on-line for pick up options for my Gretsch Honey Dripper Resonator. I stumbled upon the Krivo brand pickup. The sound clips and demo videos sounded good. The price seemed reasonable, so I ordered one. It arrived this week and installation was a snap. Some type of silly putty holds it in place, right at the base of the guitar neck. Various finishes are available. I went with the nickel type so it did not clash too much with the guitar. The website says they are hand made in Portland Oregon.

I plugged it into my Fishman Loudbox mini. It sounds great. I am impressed. It seems to do a very good job amplifying the natural sound of my resonator. It's early yet, as I have not trying it at band rehearsal or at a gig. I am planning to do that soon. I can report back and update at a later date.

Has anyone else tried he Krivo? I searched the forum and zero hits came up.

I am in no way associated with this company. I am up here in Canada, just enjoying the tones. I thought I'd pass it along. So far so good!

https://www.krivopickups.com/store/p2/Krivo_Humbucking_Pickup_for_Resophonic_Guitars..html

Here is mine:

IMG_5403.jpg

Axis29, Fiesta Red and jsnwhite619 like this.
  2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I've had a metal body resonator for around 15 years that I've only ever played unplugged acoustic because it doesn't have a pickup. I was excited until I saw the cost! But, good luck with it! I've mic'd mine a few times, but it's a real pain when you're running sound yourself.

3. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

@jsnwhite619 when I looked at other resonator pick-up prices, this was cheap by comparison. Must be a captive, small market I guess. I
    tried micing my resonator at home and recorded good results. Performing live, it wouldn’t work for me. I had feedback issues. I squirrel’d up a little gig money and ordered it. Having a hobby that brings in a little cash certainly makes the decision a little easier to swallow.

Axis29 and jsnwhite619 like this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Plugging in a resonator has always been problematic - Brozman's recommendation was always to mic it (which is what I do with mine). This looks to be a magnetic p/u - how much cone sound do you get?

When I get some time I'll check out their web site and look for the clips you mention.

5. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Due to my current choices in live PA gear setup, the mic I tried (AKG pencil type condenser mic on a boom stand) was a limiting problem. $50 gigs relates to relative PA gear investments unfortunately. So I am hoping this pick-up meets my expectations.

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

$200 seems a bit high to me but I am a little cheap...

7. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like a magnetic pickup. So as long as you stick with steel strings you should be fine.

8. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

Looks interesting. I had a Lace sensor on my GoldTone squareneck and it was just okay. A lot of people were doing that 10 years ago.

I had a spare Baggs Lyric in my workshop the other day, and tried it at the base of the bridge on my Triolian the other day. It worked really well! I've installed the Fishman Nashville system on other dobro-styles, and it's a bit of an ordeal. And pricey.

I'm glad you found something you like.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have been looking at the Lace ultra slim for my reso. Sounds good when Ken Mo uses it:

10. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Tried the Krivo and Resonator tonight at rehearsal. We all agreed it sounded great. No problem with my resonator cutting through the mix. Holy. Right though, no issue. Clear as a bell. I like it a lot.

11. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

3FB136F5-E196-4BC8-B5D3-DA77033FE90B.jpeg

First gig with the Krivo pickup on my resonator tonight. Worked well. Sounded good. Crowd responded well. Good crowd feedback. What more can you ask for?...Well free beer but I don’t think Krivo does that.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.