KOT/POT Alternatives

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by asatbender, Sep 22, 2013.

1. asatbender

asatbender Tele-Holic

Well crap, I went and played a KOT and POT yesterday and love them. Problem is they are way out of my price range so looking for alternatives. My understanding is that they are a modified BB so here are the ones I know of:

Wilson Effects Black Tooth Grin
    CMATMODS Butah
    JHS Morning Glory - Same price as POT

I would like to get in as close to $100 as possible. Also, do these sound good through a SFPR? I demo'd them through a Pritchard Satori.

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mooer Blues Crab. I think someone on this forum basically confirmed it is a vintage Bluesbreaker clone. I have one. Sounds great. Very low gain. Magic starts with the drive pot at 3 o'clock (just like the original as I understand it). List is something like $88.

3. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

+1 on the Blues Crab. Or you could build your own; GGG has a kit for the BB, a few tweaks can make it a POT.

4. asatbender

asatbender Tele-Holic

I might have someone build it. I tried a simple fuzz circuit and failed.

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Look for a used clone pedal on The Gear Page / eBay, I see them all the time, cheaper than you can buy a kit and build one too!

6. asatbender

asatbender Tele-Holic

Got any names or builders to watch for?

7. analogmike

analogmike Tele-Meister

I don't want to get banned but check POT price...

8. asatbender

asatbender Tele-Holic

Here is one I could offer $100 on.

9. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Even though we know the KOT pedal comes from the old Marshall BB - mod treatment given it doesn't sound so much like a stock BB anymore IMO, like the Blues Crab does... YMMV. The KOT will be much fuller and gainier at high settings.

10. asatbender

asatbender Tele-Holic

I am a little embarrassed. I never knew they were that price from the builder. I saw the prices on Ebay and assumed I could not afford one. I just bought a POT!

11. themandolinguy

themandolinguy Tele-Meister

Congratulations!

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

All the more reason to pick up a V1 BB clone that someone assembled from a kit and is unloading.

Swap out the chip and diodes, tweak for the "treble boost" trimmer if you use it, an go about your way.

You may even be able to find a clone kit that someone's already "KoT'ified." :lol:

13. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

As a die hard BB v1 fan, I honestly don't know why
    someone would try one out and decide it need "improvement".

It's one of the few pedals that was just spot on from the start.
    Why not just come up with your own design, instead of merely
    piggy-backing on someone else's idea? And one that most agree
    was great to begin with.

14. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

15. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

Because different people have different rigs and different tastes. I prefer a little larger input cap so a touch more bass is allowed through from the get go. Stock works well, but one little tweak works better with my rig so why not :cool:

16. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

Just the need to put something "new" on the market and make a few bucks selling it as one more "awesome pedal"... I think creating a whole new design is for very very few people; most boutiquers out there are just recycling the classics.

17. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

I didn't know those were the only differences. I've thought about getting a BB I clone before but I wasn't sure it would work well with my rig. Great pedal for bluesy tones I reckon.

18. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

The KOT is I believe $235 if you get on the waiting list. People sell those on ebay at a large upcharge.
    I started out with a POT at first, then realized that both the boost and overdrive modes are outstanding, and just finally got my KOT after around 9 months on the list.

19. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Congrats man! My KOT has been on my board for 3 years solid. The thing simply works, and it works with my strat, tele and LP. There are a million shades on the thing with stacking and modes. While you don't have the stacking with the POT, you do get the option to run it at 18v which is something I would love to be able to do on the KOT but it has a limit of 12v.

When something has had a following as long and loyal as the King of Tone, it is no longer a "hype" deal. The KOT is road proven over and over again. To imply analogman is about greed is a major stretch. The price of a KOT was the same 3 years ago when I bought mine. I don't know how long it has been that price, possibly since v4 came out. I had to wait 18mo. to get mine. Mike could have bumped the price easy and culled the list but he did not. Greed is not a word that comes to my mind when speaking of analogman.

20. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Most people don't. Or it's clarified but it's still hard to believe. Some will simply refuse to believe it.

But let's face it - there could be nothing changed, and it still probably would be popular. IMO, Marshall did a great freaking job w/those V1 pedals as far as coming up w/new circuits. As in they had the ba11s to just not copy what came before. The BB in particular has a resistor in series w/the clipping diodes that many "circuit designers" don't even know what it does.

Where Marshall came up short was w/the advertising and packaging. When you went in the store and looked at them compared to everything else, they had a plain and utilitarian look. Maybe they would have been cool in the 70's, but the heavy steel black enclosures in the 80's? :eek:

I mean - this is a legendary amp company we're talking about here. But that was part of the problem too, IMO. It kind of insinuated that you were getting the Marshall sound in a box for a fraction of what their amps cost.

So the look and marketing was all wrong for the time. The "blues amp in a box" or "hotrodded stack in a box" thing was ahead of its time - we weren't ready for that either! An amp company making pedals? Again more of a minus IMO than a plus.

About two decades pass by, and the BB, Guv'nor, and Shredmaster get "rediscovered for the first time." I guess that Visual Sound and Danelectro were actually ahead of the curve, because they were repackaging Marshall pedals before analogman, MI Audio, Suhr, or others. But still - while the VS J&H has been popular, the H side always was sort of second fiddle to the J side. And the Daddy-O - still kind of a big clunky box with all these little knobs crammed next to each other...

Finally, MI Audio hits paydirt with the Crunch Box. Nice and compact enclosure that has "that boutique look." And the T/M/B tone controls get dropped for just a single tone knob. Kind of like a BB'ering of the Guv'nor. Other Guv'nor repackagings follow, including the very popular Riot, which is more similar to the Crunch Box than many may ever realize. And this time - a cool purple anodized aluminum compact enclosure that again has "that boutique look."

...But the King of Tone? Possibly the king of repackaged Marshall designs. The very simple V1 BB is great for bluesy OD tones in many respects that the TS just can't touch, IMO. It's so simple that it would make for a great 2-in-1, which is somewhat popular by this point. And the BB is primarily a mild machine, so being able to stack a pair would finally give it a little more gonzo. In an effort to give it a boutique luster, internal switches allow for the clipping diodes to be turned on or off, and add a pair of "shunted to ground" style like are in the Shredmaster and Guv'nor. Or, you can select none, and get the "comp cut effect" of the Fulldrive II that carried that option - op amp boosts were becoming somewhat popular again.

...So you could configure each "side" to be set up differently - it wasn't like just a Siamese twin 2-in-1.

Finish it off w/a royal purple enclosure w/gold lettering - bam. Finally, the V1 BB looks like it has the heritage of OD monarchy at last. Add to it that it's assembled by an honest-to-goodness pedal company and not an amp company, and you might just have something. ;)

So change a chip, change some diodes, add a 4-in-line dipswitch...or don't. It could have received gold plated toggles instead. Or a "candy grape iridescent" box. It's all about making the tone of the V1 BB respectful via visual aid, IMO.

I'd honestly argue that really nothing needs to be change w/the old Marshall pedals - they are that good IMO. So a few tweaks can probably help to push them one way or the other that might be currently preferential. Lots of folks have never heard a V1 BB, so they have no frame of reference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.