1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Korg sues Phantom Guitar Works

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telepathist, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

It makes me want to go out and buy a Teardrop from him.

Maybe I will.

3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

That's just what I was thinking...

4. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Corporations suck. They should stick to hamburgers and not be allowd to make instruments.

5. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

My favorite guitars -Ovations, the Fender Telecaster, and the G&L Legacy- are ALL made by corporations and frankly, I'm glad those corporations keep making them.

6. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If I read it right, Korg wants the trademarks voided. That wouldn't keep him from making his guitars would it? It would just keep him from having exclusivity. That would suck for him and would hurt business,, but wouldn't necessarily put him out of business would it?

7. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Defending the trademarks and then losing would mean all the money he put into it was irrecoverable. I suspect that would be a big problem.

8. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

I imagine Korg would like nothing more than to put him out of business. At the very least they're bleeding him dry with legal fees.

This is a classic case of David vs. Goliath.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

That's not what's happening. Did you read the article?

It states that Vox is making versions of his guitars already, although crediting him... which does very little for his bottom line.

I hate it when corporations bully the little guys into bankruptcy. It's sickening. This guy did everything right, even going so far as to register the guitar and helping the parent company out on occasion with its NAMM display. This is the thanks he gets for playing by the rules.

Unbelievable... as if Korg doesn't have enough money already. Greedy bastards.

10. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

It's not right for Korg to do what they're doing, but "it is what it is".... The right thing for Korg/Vox to do is to buy Phantom Guitar Works outright.

11. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

"Korg" sounds like a sci-fi guy in a chain-mail tank-top with a weird sword that kills with blue fire. Then he flexes by a pyre and screams into the fog. I am there too, but will not leave the buffalo-skin tent.

12. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

I have a hard time deciding between buying one of his Phantoms or a Teardrop. Always dug the teardrop shape but the phantom shape just screams of garage ghoul spaghetti fun. The guy claims his guitars go out with a real good setup which is appealing too.

13. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Nasty practice on the part of Korg. It looks like the Vox designs are in some sort of limited production, including those creations with the built in amp. No doubt they are nothing in terms of the quality of Phantom Guitar Works. One new "Vox" I looked at had a Strat trem and three generic single coils.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

We read an article in an Oregon made journal about a guy from Oregon. Korg didn't participate in the article... We can speculate as to why they didn't participate, but Occam's razor would pretty much say that there was no benefit to Korg, so no point in talking, do your talking in court.

We know a smattering of what this case is about. I make no assumptions about any of this. I think the courts will decide which makes sense. The part about his marriage breaking up and implying that Korg caused that or that he'd be needing to care for his autistic son and adding the burden of that to Korg is regrettable too. I would not want that article written about me and I fail to see how the article serves anyone except the journalist.

15. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I gotta agree with getbent on this. If he's got the best claim, he should win. If not, well, who knows? I mean, he didn't originate the design, Vox did. He got legal claim to the name Phantom through an oversight - Vox had never trademarked it. Completely legal, but hardly innovative.
    As a small businessman, I hope he survives and thrives. But to me he doesn't seem much different than all the guys right on this website who build "Telecasters" that are better than actual Telecasters. Your product should be what sells, not the name.

16. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

Wow those Phantoms are really sweet! I may have to grab one for that price.

17. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I wish him no ill will and am in no way implying he did something wrong.
    That being said, the day he registered those trademarks that were originated by VOX he should have expected at some point in the future he was going to have to end up in court over this.

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

See? The System works!

I agree, we don't know the whole story from just reading an article.

19. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

FYI, it appears Mr. Meussdorffer recorded trademarks on designs he had no part in creating, and thus to which he likely has no right. If Korg wins the suit, this won't prohibit Mr. Meussdorffer from producing more guitars under these marques. Instead, this would allow Korg/VOX to produce Phantoms, Teardrops, etc. - you know, guitars they designed - without paying Meussdorffer for licensing. It's easy to see it as a David v. Goliath scenario, but upon closer reading, Korg's actions up to this point seem pretty charitable.

20. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

I guess you could say that is being charitable for a corporation. I wish they could work something out that would make both parties happy.

In spite of the fact that he dogs the Italian Voxes and I loved my Italian Phantom VI and XII and miss the XII a lot.:(:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.