1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Korean Strat? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by clearfish, Dec 12, 2006.

1. clearfish

clearfish TDPRI Member

Found an ash body birdseye maple neck Korean Fender Strat in a pawn shop run by a friend--I think it's potentally a playable guitar with a set up--Has a set of Seymour Duncans, too.

What do these go for usually? I didn't know Fender had gone Korean--not that it's so terrible, I drive a Hyundai.

2. stratelecaster

stratelecaster TDPRI Member

Fender did the Korea thing from 1992 to 1994. Should have a small "squier series" logo on the headstock where you'd normally find "original contour body" logo.

3. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Nope stratelecaster, Fender have begun introducing Korean guitars as genuine Fenders now, the model discussed is a Fender Lite Ash Strat, there are mixed reviews on these, IMO they are not particularly good guitars for the price, but if it's in a pawn shop you may get a price that makes it worth it..

MF has them for $629

[​IMG]

4. stratelecaster

Thanks J-man, I'll make a note of that.
    That's a cool lookin' strat although I'm not too keen on that bridge...looks a little flimsy. Give me the six screw type nearly every time.

5. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

I played those Lite Ash Stats AND Teles...AND IMHO, they sound fine, probably because of the Duncan Alnico II pickups. In fact, I think they sounded good enough for me to think about getting a humbucker and a single-coil set for my Korean Tie-Dye Strat!

6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

My MIA Deluxe has the two-point trem, and I find it alright. Mind, I don't exactly abuse it, but it's done well so far.

7. stratelecaster

That's just what I mean, It should be able to take any "abuse" you dish out. I've found with very few exceptions, most 2 point trems can't handle it. Also keep in mind we're talkin' Korea here...MIA is well, MIA$$$

8. SixStringSlinger

:lol:

Yeah, I gotcha. What I meant is I don't go Van Halen on it, not because of any reservations, just not my style. All I regularly do is with it it vibrato or the occasional dive bomb.

9. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Is there any real benfit of a two point trem? Or do Fender just use them on some models to make them appear different?

10. stratelecaster

I don't see any real "benifit" with a two pointer. It may take the stress away from the six smaller screws normally found when doing really deep dive bombs. And I guess it's got more of a "floating" thing goin' on in the trem system since the bridge is literaly hanging in air, so to speak.
    I don't know if thats a benifit or not.

11. SixStringSlinger

I have mine set up so it floats. Dunno if that's the point of a two-pointer though.

12. stratelecaster

I think the main point of a two pointer is it gives a little more string height adjustment options since it'll actually tilt right or left yet still be height adjustable from the saddles. So back to "benefits"...this feature would be quite usefull if the neck begins to twist for whatever reason...you can just dial in the bridge to compensate and keep playin' that squirelly neck. Hmmm...maybe I do want a two pointer. NOT!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.