1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Korean squier?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rotheryrules, Apr 8, 2011.

1. rotheryrules

rotheryrules Tele-Meister

So I recently picked up a 1989 Korean squier strat. It's a perfect copy of my first ever guitar. I am blown away by the quality and tone of the guitar.

This has got me wondering as am looking for a tele currently, would the same era tele be as good? I seem to remember they didn't have through body stringing which would bd an issue, but even if the quality is 75% ad good as my recent acquisition it would be worth picking one up.

Or would my money be better on a current squier?

2. rotheryrules

Anybody?

3. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

I love my '96 Korean Squier. I found it for $100. Gave it Stewmac pickups, all new wiring, new switch, new knobs, Graphtech saddles, and a black pickgaurd.
    Total $266
    $84 more gets you one of those Classic Vibe Squiers everyones going on about.

Attached Files:

4. rotheryrules

Cool, do u think the top loading bridge affects the tone at all?

5. lfender523

lfender523 TDPRI Member

One of the best sounding teles I have owned was a 91 MIM Standard top-loader. Gigged with it for about ten years.

6. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Before I found my Beloved '66 Tele, I had a really sweet early 90s MIK Squier Tele. I liked everything about it except for the tuners. I did some upgrades, but the bridge pickup was just so RIGHT that I left it alone!

Really nice neck, too, and the plywood body didn't seem to harm the tone in the slightest!

Tim

7. cantonmotors

cantonmotors TDPRI Member

I have a 94 MIM Squier series with a top load bridge and I play next to a friend that plays an american deluxe. There are obvious differences Tuners out put and refinements. BUt as far as tone at low volume there is no difference. and remember the first teles were top load. The problem that I am finding is that I want to put a bridge humbucker on it because I play through the neck most of the time on my tele and the bridge on my LP and I can't find a top load humbucker bridge. I am thinking of taking it to a shop and having it drilled for a string through body bridge. or if I could find a cheap Bigsby style vibrato I would go that route.

8. space coyote

space coyote TDPRI Member

I have Korean strats and teles from the same era and the quality is comparable. For me the top loader / string thru is a non issue. The difference is too subtle for me but there are others who hear the difference. I think it was the Squier II series that had the plywood bodies. Again it's an issue for some but I could care less. If I never had them apart I'd just assume it was alder or basswood or whatever. Decent pickups and a proper setup are more important for tone IMO. Not sure about UK but here the MIK Squiers are about half the cost of the new Classic Vibes. For a little more than the CV's the MIK Pro Tone Squiers are fantastic guitars too.

9. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Think if you know or can learn to do some set-up the "cheap used Squier" is a fun and worth while way to go. You just gotta run into one you like.

10. kypdurron

kypdurron Tele-Meister

I had a 89 Squier Tele, made by Samick. It had a 6 saddle toploader bridge and a plywood body. but the neck was great and it sounded ok. Hardware was half U.S. and half crap, pickups not too great.

11. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Has to be string-through for me, if it's a Tele. I'm glad they didn't go top-load for the CVs.

12. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Tele-Meister

How? There should be no vibration behind the bridge or passed the nut.

13. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I did a string through job on one and afterwards, I ran 2 each .011's and .022's one top loaded and one string through.

Acoustically, the top loaded strings sounded thinner and more treble like, but when plugged in, several blind tests with several different people showed NO difference in the sound between top load and string through.

14. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

I have two '90s MIK teles, both top loaders, great guitars with beautiful fat necks. These are exceptions, though, as most of the MIK tele necks I've seen have been rather thin.

Neither body is plywood, BTW.

15. cantonmotors

cantonmotors TDPRI Member

Mine is poplar

16. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Right. People who claim they hear a difference make me laugh. I like string through too, but the only real advantage is that the string doesn't hit the saddle springs and rub through.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.