Knowing your stuff 150%

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eddiewagner, Jun 13, 2021.

1. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Oh boy, we played a small open air festival yesterday. The sounddude was way off….
    We had to deal with the weirdest feedback from the Bassdrum. thanks god we knew our stuff 150% so we could bring on 80%…..
    keep rehearsing folks! It pays off.

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I think about all the times we had to play with one monitor for the whole band, or had to run the sound ourselves (doing a sound check beforehand and hoping nothing changed during the performance)…I thought we had it bad…

…and then we had a bad sound guy.

I’d rather have the former challenge than the latter.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've never had the job of being out in the audience, and having responsibility for turning knobs and sliding sliders, so there may be issues I'm not aware of...but, what the heck!!!!....it's not Rocket Surgery. I often disagree with mixes I hear, (WAYYYYY TOO MUCH BASS) but I get it that that's what is wanted. Feedback on bass drum? How does that happen?
    I sometimes like what we did in High School and College.....we controlled our PA, and we had trusted friends in the audience to give us "feedback".

Fiesta Red likes this.
  4. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

Just played at an outdoor "festival" - really just a big party at some dude's place in the country. Ankle deep mud everywhere, and the only way to load in was to drive through the crowd up to the stage, then back out several hundred feet til you could turn around. We had to unhitch the trailer and do a lot of maneuvering to get it out.

The sound guy was the best, though, so we didn't have that issue.

As far as knowing our stuff, we didn't, really. The show was the first time all of us have played together. We've practiced several times, but not with everybody present every time. The set list was developed over 3 or 4 practices last week, and modified on the fly as the show went on. A few of us have been involved in an all-improv situation for a few years, and the others are good players, so we were able to pull off a 2-hour set without any (noticeable) hitches.

I like an adventure...

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Far too many Sound Guys think they have to Work the System by the Numbers instead of working the Sound for the Music.
    GOOD Sound guys a re a true Luxuary.

nojazzhere, schmee and eddiewagner like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.