Knowing that the "shine wears off" of everything, are uber expensive guitars really worth it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by _MementoMori_, May 10, 2021.

1. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

3 Requirements have to be met for me to say yes. It has to play better, sound better, and hold up better to playing/gigging/abuse to be worth high $$$. For recording purposes it has to be the first two. For gigging purposes it's 1 and 3. That's my criteria anyway.
    I have two high end (well relatively speaking) expensive guitars:
    My Rainsong which is my main gigging guitar, which I can play the snot out of and use as a canoe paddle and still play it and it's in tune and sounds great (through the PA).
    My Breedlove which is my primary recording guitar because it plays super fast and sounds unreal.

They're tools after all...lol

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I don’t have any really expensive electric guitars and never have.
    I am pretty much an American Standard/Series Fender consumer.

I do own a few nice Martin and Gibson acoustic guitars. I feel like a certain level of acoustic guitars will improve somewhat with age.
    And I know that’s also a whole other topic.

3. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I buy what I like and if I stop using it, I sell it and get something else. Whether it's expensive or not is irrelevant. An item's rarity might give me pause, but if I'm not using it, it is inevitable that I will show it the door.

I have an itch to always try a new thing. Sometimes it's expensive, sometimes not. Sometimes it sticks around, sometimes it doesn't. But I will not buy something to just sit around in a case, whether it's $100 or $4000.

black_doug and MilwMark like this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

It depends I suppose. If I came into a Tele from the 50s I’d play it. I’d put strap locks in it. That’s how I roll. An old tool is still a tool.
    If I came into a $12k hippie sammich with heavy abalone inlay I’d play it and put strap locks in it and if it didn’t sound the way I wanted I’d put Fralins in it. The quantity of collectible guitars far outweighs the quantity of guitar collectors. Play the paint off it. It’s not an investment.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Yes they are really worth it--if that is what inspires the owner.

It's no different from uber-expensive vintage guitars.

Your own mileage may vary.

Judge other players if you must, but your opinions don't matter to them.

6. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

So obviously we have a purchaser who just goes for the ten top cause he can't play good enough to determine if it's worth it, never knowing that it's what's below the paint job that is most important. Horrible way to make life decisions even if it's just over a guitar. You gotta ask yourself, does she have good bones that will stand the test of time when the gold plating is worn through and her fretboard has wear marks all over it?

7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

NO! Not in themselves.

Solely for peer envy.

8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I buy very expensive used guitars from people who were unfortunately financially strapped.

They end up pawning them at area pawnshops.

I'm able to pick A LOT of these guitars cheaper than GC or Sam Ash would pay for them

Buying new expensive guitars isn't in m to vocabulary.

Sasquatchwisperer likes this.
  9. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

Can we see a picture of your expensive banjo?

trapdoor2 and Telekarster like this.
  10. Sasquatchwisperer

Sasquatchwisperer Tele-Meister

They know the better woods for sure, I think I read something once about a ping test. Anyway, I have a Swamp Ash Tele that you can hear immediately, an Alder body Stratocaster that’s off the charts vibrant. Both Custom Shop guitars, one a G&L the other a Fender.
    As for the Les Paul, it’s only 8 pounds. I bought it in Chicago, tried at least a dozen. Mostly in NY, one in Tennessee another in Florida. They were all great but this one was very special.
    They put aside the best woods for sure.

11. Sasquatchwisperer

Sasquatchwisperer Tele-Meister

48F88C1F-F9AB-4733-AB15-0F0F15927F8B.jpeg
    I’m not a big fan of anything Fender.
    Hit or miss, more miss, I don’t like the cheap bridge and tremolos they use. I haven’t seen a decent production line Gibson in years. Terrible fret work, on and on. Ever play a Knaggs? Ha, best built guitar I’ve ever seen. Get a used one, people can’t sell them so you can get a good deal.
    Best players out there.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  12. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I never bought an "expensive" guitar or amp.
    I think I bought good quality gear, but it was always kind of in balanced relation to my income at the time.
    That is, when I started with my first electric back in 1982, it was a cheap Les Paul copy (with a bolt-on neck!!!!) and an even lousier solidstate amp. But I was 15 and had the "income" of a 15-year-old.
    I don't feel to be anything close to a collector or GAS-addict, but it just happened over the years....better income, change of musical taste, a different band with a different style....
    None of them were "boutique" or handmade. I sometimes think of having a guitar made exactly to my wishings.
    It would be a mixture of my 2 favorite guitars, so although I'm sometimes tempted to spent some substantial money (i.e. around the 2.500 Euro mark), I find myself thinking: "You already got 2 guitars that come close to 100%, if the one doesn't work for that song, just change and use the other.

I can easily sell pedals/19''-rack-gear. I can also sell amps (it just happens less, because I am a lot more hesitant buying new amps compared to pedals).
    For some sentimental reason I just can't sell any of my guitars. Maybe because I actually hold them in my arms and with my hands. Even my crappy 2 first guitars are still sitting somewhere in a corner.

So, after all: I don't care if my guitars lose value - I am not going to sell them anyway.

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It depends on if it's an impulse buy or something carefully selected. I've done both. The shine comes off the impulse buy but the guitars that I've carefully selected are not clutter! So I jettison the impulse buys but my guitars stay. I've gone from 17-18 guitars to 6 guitars. I've probably sold 3 or 4 guitars that I loved but couldn't justify keeping any longer because were redundant and I really wanted to streamline my "collection." I've found that I play and appreciate the guitars that remain more than before.
    Now, I've slowed down. Acquisitions are few and far between. I have what I want. I still see guitars that catch my eye but it's not hard to resist. That's not saying there isn't a guitar out there with my name on it. You never know. Then again, it would only be purchased after thorough soul searching.

14. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Knowing that the "shine wears off" of everything,

It depends on what you mean by this. Yes, you don't have the same level of excitement a year later that you had the day you bought something, but I've been playing my Doc Fisher tele for over a year and appreciate it as much today as the day I bought it.

The way you word this makes it sound like you've already made up your mind. Kind of like, "When did you stop beating your wife?" I don't consider buying high quality gear "flushing money down the toilet" and I focus as much on my playing regardless of the instrument I'm playing on.

15. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Meister

People will do what they will do. If possessing something really "kewl" that people drool over because of it's costliness, beauty, or both is necessary for your self-esteem (and you can afford it), then the CS axe is the girl for you.

People change over time too - and the me back in the day who saved up for the CS '64 reissue ES-335 is different than the me of today who finds great satisfaction in making a silk purse out of a sow's ear (or cheap guitar).

There's really no right or wrong here - just a matter of personal preference. Unless you have kids going to college or your spouse needs expensive surgery or you're so destitute that ramen is a major food group, in which case your priorities should preclude the CS axe, or any new axe for that matter.

One of the things that raising two boys and surviving diabetes and a triple bypass has taught me is that "things" don't make you happy in the long run - it's people that fill the void in your soul (and the occasional kitty cat).

In any event, as Killing Floor so aptly put it, "play the paint off it." And if you want an investment that you don't have to worry about scratching, get some blue chip stocks.

beninma and _MementoMori_ like this.
  16. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I do lean toward inexpensive gear. But I won't lie and say that if someone paid off all of my debt and then handed me $50,000 "for fun," I wouldn't go out and buy a $3500 Les Paul.

17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly why I went into mid priced and lower priced guitars, was that I was just hovering around those more expensive guitars, and not daring to play them. Now I don't worry at all about what I play, if it gets knocked, dinged or scratched, it doesn't matter, just as long as I like the music I make and have the tools to do it, and I'm comfortable playing.

Tele-friend likes this.
  18. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Guitars are tools, I like nice tools, so I buy nice and to me not to expensive guitars. I would not spend more than 3500 on a new guitar from any maker. I dont judge people that do, but I buy several guitars a year and the 3500 dollar price point as a max is what I am comfortable with, at this time. I dont really care if I am "good" enough to warrant the guitar. They are not investments, and I am not a professional touring musician. I buy them for the enjoyment of ownership.

StrangerNY and teletail like this.
  19. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I'd pay that if it was something I really wanted/needed (quality guitar) but when you add a 0 on the end...hmmm.... probably not ;) I paid 1800 for my 56 GoldTop reissue, got it on a deal at GC years ago, and it's been one heck of a guitar for that sort of money. Worth every bit 3500 in my book, and I don't know that I'd part with it for much less than that LOL!!

20. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

On person's concept of "expensive" can be far different from another person's definition.

Same for a meal in a restaurant, a car, boat, or a house.

Got some excess disposable income? Spend it as you see fit--you've earned the right to do so. Anyone who thinks you're wrong can go pound sand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.