Know of any small builders who do necks to order?

thelowerlip

Tele-Afflicted
I want to build some unusual designs I've been working on. I don't have the tools, space, or experience to do necks and I need some options Warmoth doesn't offer. Is there someone US based on ebay or elsewhere that takes special orders?

Last edited by a moderator:

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Musikraft has a very wide range of options compared with Warmoth. But no they aren't a custom builder that I am aware of.
7 truss rod options
over 20 shaft wood types
30-35 back profile options
etc

thelowerlip

Tele-Afflicted
I may just order some stuff and try to do one. I can do refrets so maybe I should just try doing a neck. Every vender I see gives you a limited list of options. I just can't seem to find the specs I'm looking for. A 30", 24fret scale with a straight, blank (or snake head) is hard to find. I'm working on a bass vi thing so the slim nut/wide heel on most basses is not ideal either.

Last edited:

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I ran across this company and it sounds like they will set up to do small runs of production parts. I have no experience with them and no connection, but might be worth a call.

I was an engineer for metal fabrication business before retiring and they would do custom runs of metal parts on their cnc's. There was a pretty hefty up front cost for the engineering, then small piece costs each time a part was made. I know there are Pacific Rim countries that will do this for you - send your design as a CAD model and they will mill the parts. I think this is how Mighty Mite necks are made - maple is shipped from the US to China, made into a neck and shipped back to sell here.

Last edited:

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You may want to communicate with these folks. They are local to me and CNC the necks.

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
We here at the Depot specialize in HELPING people, such as Guitarbuilders THREE threads on building necks three different ways. I myself have built EXACTLY what you want but will teach you to do it, not do it for you.
"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him to fish, he eats the rest of his life"

Made for my son, not exactly a Snakehead (which would be easier 😀)

Attachments

• 16525478886084571377181920770003.jpg
    16525478886084571377181920770003.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 27

thelowerlip

Tele-Afflicted
We here at the Depot specialize in HELPING people, such as Guitarbuilders THREE threads on building necks three different ways. I myself have built EXACTLY what you want but will teach you to do it, not do it for you.
"Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him to fish, he eats the rest of his life"

Made for my son, not exactly a Snakehead (which would be easier 😀)
Yeah, I would like find something already made but I'm starting to think I'll just end up making necks eventually anyway.

thelowerlip

Tele-Afflicted
I ran across this company and it sounds like they will set up to do small runs of production parts. I have no experience with them and no connection, but might be worth a call.

I was an engineer for metal fabrication business before retiring and they would do custom runs of metal parts on their cnc's. There was a pretty hefty up front cost for the engineering, then small piece costs each time a part was made. I know there are Pacific Rim countries that will do this for you - send your design as a CAD model and they will mill the parts. I think this is how Mighty Mite necks are made - maple is shipped from the US to China, made into a neck and shipped back to sell here.
Thank you! I will be looking into this!

thelowerlip

Tele-Afflicted
Just curious what sort of neck features are you looking for that you can't get from Warmoth?
I was just looking at their site again. I'm wanting a 30" scale, 24 fret, straight/blank headstock for a bass vi. 1.75" nut and a U?(have a strat from them with standard thin would like more meat). The first three features are a must. Also, it seems most bass necks are very wide at the heel and I'd like less taper from heel to nut. Very tempted to destroy a piece of mahogany just to see if it's something I could do.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
I don't have any affiliation with this outfit, but I check out his offerings from time to time and he always has some very nice-looking necks for sale

Right at the moment it sounds like the pandemic/supply chain issues have caught up with him (just like many other outfits), but it wouldn't hurt to touch base with him

His work looks nice and clean and he uses some really good-looking wood for his necks - and his prices appear to be very fair, too

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I was just looking at their site again. I'm wanting a 30" scale, 24 fret, straight/blank headstock for a bass vi. 1.75" nut and a U?(have a strat from them with standard thin would like more meat). The first three features are a must. Also, it seems most bass necks are very wide at the heel and I'd like less taper from heel to nut. Very tempted to destroy a piece of mahogany just to see if it's something I could do.
I'm a little confused about your end goal. Reading between the lines in your first post it sounds like you might want several of the same neck - that is somewhat difficult for a hand builder to do, particularly if you are not experienced. Each time I build a neck it is a "custom" even tho I usually build to more or less the same profile and specification. I can duplicate necks but getting them exactly the same is very difficult.

That is where some sort of automation comes in - either a cnc where you model the neck with your design software or a duplicarver where you make a pattern neck and then duplicate it with a special router that follows the pattern. Duplicarvers are used by gun stock makers and other wood workers and there are instructions on how to make them at lutherie sites.

If you are going to have someone else build the necks for you be sure to have all of your specification down pat. Every dimension and specification - will they furnish wood or will you, what are the parameters for the wood, fretboard, frets, finish..... Warmoth's neck wizard is pretty good - they give you the options of all the things that they can do for you but don't ask them to make it out of your wood or to finish in lacquer - just not an option.

If you are doing a cnc'd neck someone has to make the model. If you are familiar with CAD software you can do that, otherwise you need to find an engineer who can take your specs and make the model. That is a one time expense that can be pretty substantial, once the model is done then anyone with a compatible mill can make the necks.

Remember too that the neck can be a very personal part of an instrument for the player. I have people bring me a guitar with a neck they like and ask me to duplicate it, that is one of the great things about a custom guitar. I may present the partially finished neck to the player to make sure it right - I can always remove more wood but its hard to put it back on.

One thing that really helps when making a custom neck is to have several templates of the profile you want - keep removing wood until the templates fit. You can take profiles off an existing neck - my favorite was a vintage les paul that I have used on several of my guitars. There are a variety of ways to make the templates - if you decide to make your own necks I can show some.

Adnyway, just some thoughts.

thelowerlip

Tele-Afflicted
I'm a little confused about your end goal. Reading between the lines in your first post it sounds like you might want several of the same neck - that is somewhat difficult for a hand builder to do, particularly if you are not experienced. Each time I build a neck it is a "custom" even tho I usually build to more or less the same profile and specification. I can duplicate necks but getting them exactly the same is very difficult.

That is where some sort of automation comes in - either a cnc where you model the neck with your design software or a duplicarver where you make a pattern neck and then duplicate it with a special router that follows the pattern. Duplicarvers are used by gun stock makers and other wood workers and there are instructions on how to make them at lutherie sites.

If you are going to have someone else build the necks for you be sure to have all of your specification down pat. Every dimension and specification - will they furnish wood or will you, what are the parameters for the wood, fretboard, frets, finish..... Warmoth's neck wizard is pretty good - they give you the options of all the things that they can do for you but don't ask them to make it out of your wood or to finish in lacquer - just not an option.

If you are doing a cnc'd neck someone has to make the model. If you are familiar with CAD software you can do that, otherwise you need to find an engineer who can take your specs and make the model. That is a one time expense that can be pretty substantial, once the model is done then anyone with a compatible mill can make the necks.

Remember too that the neck can be a very personal part of an instrument for the player. I have people bring me a guitar with a neck they like and ask me to duplicate it, that is one of the great things about a custom guitar. I may present the partially finished neck to the player to make sure it right - I can always remove more wood but its hard to put it back on.

One thing that really helps when making a custom neck is to have several templates of the profile you want - keep removing wood until the templates fit. You can take profiles off an existing neck - my favorite was a vintage les paul that I have used on several of my guitars. There are a variety of ways to make the templates - if you decide to make your own necks I can show some.

Adnyway, just some thoughts.
Thank you very much for this information. I've been "destroying" stringed instruments ever since I first picked up a guitar. I want to keep doing it without being so in the red. I have a unique guitar design that want to make for my personal needs. I want to be able to make the neck I have in mind and be able to replicate it within reason.

Last edited:

bullfrogblues

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Freestone Guitars. Lots of exotic woods and beautiful workmanship at half the price of Warmoth. I've bought several and been very happy with them. He also runs an eBay store where he sells in-stock necks.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=e88a...aHR0cHM6Ly9mcmVlc3RvbmVndWl0YXJzLmNvbS8&ntb=1
I don't know about them doing custom work, but last year I won the auction on Ebay of one of their necks. it was beautiful. woodwork and fretwork were great. this was a Music man style neck for a friend of mine that I made the guitar for and just had a Mighty MIte neck on it.
MM neck-RickP.jpg
Rick Palmeri's walnut maple Music Man custom build.jpg