Know anybody who's Lost It?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:11 PM.

1. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Just turned 44. I'm currently the best player I've ever been.........but that's not saying much.

El Marin likes this.
  2. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

Yeah, he has been one of my Guitar heroes since I got into blues. He has so awesome back in the 90s, but he is now like 84. I saw him a couple of years ago too. He was still a good showman, but he was not like he was 25-30 years ago.

3. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

Me, I have lost a lot of dexterity in my hands due to arthritis. I am also an engineer and have worked on a computer for 35 years. The way that I hold my mouse, with my middle finger, ring finger and pinky on my right hand always being bent has caused, what the doctors call, trigger finger. The three Bent fingers on my Right hand will stick in half-bent positions from time to time and I need to physically work them straight again. I still play, but I’m nowhere ne’er as good as I was before my mid forties. My plan is to have my hand operated on when I retire, hopefully in four more years.

telemnemonics and Cali Dude like this.
  4. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

Man, I am so sorry that you are going through that. I can relate. It gets frustrating at times.

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't 'lost it' so much as trying to 'get on course with it' when it comes to my own Blues lead playing.
    And been working on this now, ( better, I hope) the last few years.

I think I was maybe a more-focused, more traditional blues lead.player 20 years ago than I am today. Because that was all I played ( in bands). And these little local bands were good, they all were.

But in 2000, I kind of formed my own band ( various great player/friends have come and gone over the years) and this band has been all about musical variety (albeit skewed older) music.
    Everything from swing blues, to old Country, Surf, Dead, Beatles, bluegrass, Jimi, Allmans. And it's a real hoot! Folks love the variety and we have some great players.

But I'll be the first to say all these musical influences, can get scatterbrained within the context of my own Blues lead playing ( no problem on the rhythm playing),.
    Im talking more traditional Chicago or Delta Blues playing, not guitar hero stuff.

And often, I will just play stuff that may sound cool, but just doesn't sound as good as ( to quote Pete Anderson) " playing ths bag!" Just sticking to simple, emotive blues.

So these last few years I'm trying to unlearn some flashy BS, that just doesn't belong in good blues.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    Cali Dude likes this.
  6. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Inspiration fades... or at least, it certainly can. I'm pretty sure I play better now than I did when I was younger... but I was definitely more enthused – and inspired – back then.

The thrill of discovery is hard to beat.

7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

what was once exciting and compelling you or more like driving you to learn and expand , gets lost in the reality of the process,

its like the old chinese proverb "When you learn your options are many, once you've learned your options are few" I dont have my speed , I lost it when I had my surgery for my neck fusion , and i never got it back , now I try to play for presiscion and I take my time , not try to cram 10,000 notes into one bar of music , and guess what i play better now .

8. ChicagoFats53

ChicagoFats53 TDPRI Member

Probably don't practice like they used to.

9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

You don't just inexplicably get "worse" unless you severely diminish your time spent playing, IME.

If the guy is still playing just as often, then it's probably more likely the case that you are judging him to a higher standard than in high school.

In other words, he never could "deliver the goods." You just see it now.

And on that note, I will leave you with this! :D:D:D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 2:04 AM
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Depends on what exactly IT was.

If it was awesome chops it could go to physical damage.

If it was raw emotion maybe the player gets mellow.

An angry young man might conquer his demons.

Hell some songwriters seem to run out of great ideas but keep at it with lame ideas that we cringe to hear.
    Or when no more new songs come, get bored playing the same old stuff over and over.

I’d agree it’s more remarkable when old musicians keep creating powerful stuff.
    I’m facing physical issues making my skills harder to keep up on.
    I was never really a singer songwriter so it’s my playing skills and expression that are my assets.

Maybe I figure out new ways to be good but the fact is that downhill is in my future, eventually.

11. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Best of luck with the surgery, I sincerely hope it cures all of your issues,and it sounds like it will! :)

I've had spinal cord/nerve problems, but not as severe.

gkterry likes this.
  12. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I think is a matter of keep on rockin'

At my 49 I am better than ever have been (it doesn't mean I am saying I am good)... But I keep busy... play in an acoustic band, a rockabilly band, a Pub-rock band, a cover band and a garage-soul band... I think, that keeps me busy

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well first I agree with your nature vs nurture point.

But I’ve always had “that innate ability to put emotion and feeling into (my) playing”, and for me that is very physical.
    These days what with humanity at the wailing wall, my emotional product is heavy, and the act of translating that into music is often really pretty violent.
    Not gently or subtly emotional, nope!

And that takes more and more of a toll.
    Really I’ve approached most everything with an overzealous physical attack so non guitar playing damage is also prevalent. Bummer.
    Youth sometimes really is wasted on the young.

8barlouie likes this.
  14. bazmusicman

bazmusicman Tele-Meister

That is exactly what I have. I've had it for about 12 years now, and it is very frustrating when you can't play or do things that were easy.

Don't take life for granted because one day you will find you can't do things and it's a big wake up call.

Regards,
    Baz.

15. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Several years ago, I went to a “Happy Together Tour” where they have all of these 60’s bands/musicians reunited. Robby Krieger from The Doors was there and he had definitely lost it. The whole time he was playing, I just felt sorry for him. It was painful to watch. :eek:

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

i used to get a lot of work right through into the 80s. Three to Four nights a week, in an orchestra pit and some recording ( horrible, repetitive stuff)
    Then I started modding and twenty years ago , building. I can make acoustics and have done. If I were more computer savvy I'd post a Martin D-28 H. This killed my passion for playing. I just lost interest .
    I was so busy I never had a weekend off.
    So, I gave up my ABN, Australian Business Number, only build for myself and ukuleles for family new arrivals and have gone back to get my chops again playing.

17. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Holic

The title reminded me of this, but in my really (edit: read "early") forties, picking the instrument back up, I've remembered everything from twenty years ago, and have surpassed my abilities from that time. Barring physical limitations, I think we can all continue to progress, even if in different ways (maybe we can't pick up speed but we can improve phrasing or chord voicings or substitutions or outside scales), as we age.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 7:54 AM
    darkwaters and blowtorch like this.
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I wholeheartedly agree with this, when you find yourself running up against limitations, you expand on your skillset and your imagination/creativity. Most people are not touched by technique nearly as much as they are a well-crafted song, even if it's just "strummy-strum"

If you've "lost it" maybe it's time to find something else!

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's weird...the guys I'm talking about aren't too old, don't have any real physical limitations...I've heard plenty of folks deal with that in various areas of life...you may lose some speed and agility, but retain skill/taste/etc...
    Maybe they just stop trying.
    Use it or lose it.
    It's on my mind because I just had 2 surgeries on my right hand and one on my left, and I'm trying really hard to get my chops back.

20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's called Change.
    Some roll with it, others get rolled over by it.

gkterry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.