Know anybody who's Lost It?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:11 PM.

1. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

aye, noddy; yoor an inspureyshoon.. tankya far dat

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ll probably catch some flack for this, but it’s really how I feel. There are two kinds of “chops”. The kind you get through practice and learning, and the kind that can’t be taught. There’s no faking it, and no amount of teaching or practicing will make it come alive. As my father used to say, “Or either you have it or you don’t.”

For those who have the innate ability to put emotion and feeling into their playing, the audience seems to forgive or, in most cases, not even notice that the technique is less than stellar. Musical expression is something that takes place on a very primal level. It’s a form of communication that transcends language and culture. The ones that have that have the ability to grow old and still be relevant even though their age prevents them from playing as well technically as they did when they were young.

As for the other group, they work and work and practice and they get really good. But then age starts to erode those skills that were so hard fought and everyone starts to notice because they were missing “it”.

Just my two cents for what it’s worth.

3. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Of all the musicians I've known I've probably lost it the most. From ages 10 - 30 between classical piano lessons, being in multiple bands, recording and just plain goofing around I played some instrument or other at least an hour or two a day. Even without ever being a serious musician you can't help but develop some competency after enough time playing instruments. I've spent the last 20 years basically getting rusty -- a shortage of free time always being the biggest culprit. That said, even though you do lose it over time, it's hardly like starting from scratch. I could probably get back to 90-95% of my admittedly modest proficiency within 2-3 months. I do feel that mentally, I understand music far better now than I did which just reflects how undisciplined I was as a young musician.

Cali Dude, naneek and 8barlouie like this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Some players do just 'lose it' as a result of aging. It's the same with voice: some singers that could shred in three or more octaves can't even control their pitch, let alone deal with reduced range. Some vocalists still 'have it'.

Like hair, too. Plenty of guys lose it on the top of their heads, but a few--simply through genes or good luck--keep their Samson-like mane through their 80s and 90s.

It's just part of getting older.

Cali Dude, nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  5. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

You had to mention the hair thing. Ouch, baby, very ouch.

gregulator450 and naneek like this.
  6. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

There is some deep truth in this. That said, exceptional players have both (i.e. what they built on practice, and that which can't be taught). When the body starts going south, even the greats start to suffer. I saw Buddy Guy live a couple years ago, and it was very sad but true for him also.

gkterry, Cali Dude and 8barlouie like this.
  7. naneek

naneek Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear that. I have a genetic disability which flared up when I was 22 (about 6 years ago now?) and haven't been able to play the same since then. I also have a spinal problem in my neck which effects my coordination.

I still have the knowledge and the muscle memory, but my body is different and even when I'm playing by muscle memory, the results are just unpredictable because my muscle function is inconsistent.

I still enjoy it, but it's much different now. I play with delay to keep the beat when my hands do something weird and I miss a note.

It is fortunate that your condition is operable. I hope your surgery is a success, and that you are able to regain any function that you may have lost over time.

gkterry likes this.
  8. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Maybe various players were never really that good...but our ears & mind developed so we aren't hearing it the same way. Maybe they get faster as they get older...wanking is the British term.

Few months back I did a private jam session including a guy we always thought was a really good player. Really fast, too many notes, very flashy and a musical mess - all over the place, mostly in the right key. Trying to impress the troops would be the expression.

Never did like overplaying - is a poison arrow in the recording studio although Joe Bonermaster gets away with it. Pretty much all sounds the same to me after 3 tunes. Betcha Joe gets even faster as he gets older and many will think he became a better player.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 6:25 PM
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I agree wholeheartedly that I'm a better guitarist than I was at 18, 28, 38,etc.......for one thing I focus better on learning things that don't fit neatly into my "comfort zone"......
    But, singing is another matter. I've been singing since I was about three in church choirs with an amazing choir director, and then my first two years in college as a voice major, (before switching to Music Theory/Composition) and I could sing.....WELL.....for hours at a time. While I still occasionally get compliments on my singing, I don't feel I'm half the singer I once was. My voice teacher once said most male opera singers are "past it" by their sixties.....just a matter of physiology. Many good male singers who were recording stars can be compared in their older years to their early days, (guys like Sinatra or Tony Bennett) and they just don't keep it in their later years.
    Obviously, it depends on YOU personally......maybe you ARE better than you were, or you weren't good to begin with and you've improved.....or whatever. But in general, men's singing voices decline with age. ;)

10. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. His name is Jeff and he was riding a major wave as a studio player, hired gun for many songs you probably know and sat in as a player when someone couldn’t do part of a tour. Call it burnout, loosing it or whatever you wish but about 12 years ago Jeff just couldn’t do it anymore. The calls dried up, he was no longer looked upon as a player that could fill/sit when needed.
    To his credit, Jeff is doing well and has overcome a dark side. He says life goes on and he’s realized the big time playing is over for him.

Flip G likes this.
  11. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

A guitarist who preceded me in my old band was a hot player. Back in the late '60s and early '70s he was one of the best rock guitarists in our area. But he was a real toxic character who didn't get along with anybody which led to him getting fired from the band after three years. From then on he seemed to lose interest in playing. When I saw him sitting in with another band a few years later he was stumbling through songs he previously sailed through.

It was sad.

I don't think he ever got back into it again, my friends report the only time they saw him was at a grocery store.

12. Flip G

Flip G TDPRI Member

Holy frejoles! You know Jeff Beck?!?

Cali Dude and gregulator450 like this.
  13. Flip G

Flip G TDPRI Member

I keep thinking as I grow older: You grew up a nobody with nothing going for him, and now you're a nobody with a few things, here and there, going for him. That's a win in my books.

Scooter91 likes this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Clapton. I know he has health/hand issues and he should just quit. Spend time with the family .

The Ginger Baker tribute - what I saw wasn’t great. I understand/we understand .

sail into the sunset EC and - thanks !

Cali Dude likes this.
  15. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Bruce Jenner

Mike Eskimo and Flip G like this.
  16. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Good friends of my mother. Super nice guy. Totally lost it. They were at the court house for a restraining order. He shot her in the back with a .357 and then shot himself in the head. She lived, he didn't. Mental health issues can be crazy.

17. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I'm 66 and my chops have never sounder sweeter.
    Maybe a little slower now than faster.
    I've gained a lot of experiences in all these years,that go straight from my heart and spirit, to the guitar and amp.
    I'm better than ever.
    Maybe I've lost more than I've found,but the found part is really good.

gregulator450 likes this.
  18. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Best of luck!

gkterry likes this.
  19. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

No, no, not Jeff Beck. I chuckled at this

That Cal Webway, Flip G and Cali Dude like this.
  20. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Regarding singing: I did a little research and discovered ways of singing better. It has paid off. I can sing higher at 68 than I could at 18. All four guys in our current band sing, but once in an emergency some years ago I sang all four sets by myself. I have heard a lot of videos taken by audience members. I am not a great singer, but I can help get a rock band through the night.

Cali Dude likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.