Know anybody who's Lost It?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:11 PM.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I know a few guitar players who were really good...and not just guys I THOUGHT were good when I was in High School...guys who toured...played on records with national acts...with band names and people you'd know...and they've lost their chops.
    Not medical problems, not "lifestyle related"....guys in their 50s and 60s who just can't deliver the goods anymore.
    I don't think they realize it.
    What is this?

2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You still know people from High School? :D

No idea. I no longer know any of the player I knew back then. Unless they stopped playing for a long time and came back to it, I have no idea.

BTW - I only keep in touch with one person I knew in High School, so I may not be the best to answer here. Wait - so why did I? :lol:

Flip G and Cali Dude like this.
  3. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Just me. I'm struggling with a constricted spinal cord in my neck which has caused hand numbness, weakness in arms & legs and balance issues. On track for a surgery likely next month.

BB, Nick-O, rz350 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

People get older. Physically, and mentally, stuff just doesn’t work like it used to. Doesn’t happen to everyone, but it definitely happens.

If I had a guess, I’d say they probably do realize it. But they know what pros know- just act like everything is normal and 99% of your audience won’t know the difference.

5. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

Me, lol. I can still play, but I was better in my 30s and 40s. Getting older, with arthritic fingers, has effected my playing from time to time. I imagine that it is common around here.

catdaddy, Flip G, Greggorios and 2 others like this.
  6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm getting it at about the same time as I'm losing it.

Jakeboy, gkterry, Mistahbrock and 9 others like this.
  7. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

What amazes me, is all of the aging rockers in their 70s who can play as good or better than they did in their prime.

8. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I've got a similar situation (radiculopathy) but only on my arms, fortunately (neck compression perhaps due to > 20 years as a defender in soccer heading balls and colliding with forwards?) I've been dealing with it about six or seven years now, and hope I never have to resort to surgery. It mostly bothers me when I'm in bed although the numbness in my hands can show up when I'm playing. I hope your surgery proves successful.

gkterry and Cali Dude like this.
  9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I know it’s cliche but you use it or you lose it. Maybe they’re not in situations where the music is a challenge anymore.

E5RSY and Greggorios like this.
  10. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I never had it.

jrbab, gkterry, RedRock and 3 others like this.
  11. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic

I quit playing for over 20 years. I thought I'd lost "everything," but what I'd lost was mainly technique that comes from regular play.

In the three years since I've started playing again, I've become a far better player than I was when I stopped, and I was pretty good when I stopped (regular gigging, some with guys who went on to acclaim). My knowledge is greater, my technique is better (that took a couple of months), and I'm more disciplined in my practice and the way I approach it.

I'm not suffering physical impingements, but apart from that, I think anything otherwise lost could be regained with some diligent work.

DonM, Flip G, ThermionicScott and 4 others like this.
  12. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

Oh man, that sounds serious. I hope that you have a successful outcome.

gkterry likes this.
  13. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

The legendary cellist Pablo Casals was asked why he continued to practice at age 90. "Because I think I'm making progress," he replied.

I doubt that the guys who were delivering the goods in their 20's are putting in the same effort in their 60's. I read an interview with Steve Vai a ways back and he said that before he puts out a CD he practices for 6-8 hours a day for a couple of months to get his chops where they need to be.

Cali Dude, JRapp, Flip G and 6 others like this.
  14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

At 68 I am a better guitar player and singer than I was at 18, 28, 38, 48, and 58.

Guitar playing is like a giant jigsaw puzzle. Fitting a new piece is fun!

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I was never great or anything, but I lost a good amount of nimbleness /agility on guitar from neuropathy, more than a decade back.

It sucks to no longer be able to play like I did on recorded versions of some of my original things. It's affected what I write now, too. No sense in writing stuff I can't perform well

It's probably only in the single digits, percent-wise, my diminished abilities.
    And I'm guessing most people would never know the difference.
    But dang, some of those single digits make a LOT of difference, to me

Greggorios, naneek and aging_rocker like this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My experience, and I have lots of it, is that guys start to “lose it” in their 70s.
    I’m just a spring chicken of 63.
    So far, so good.

17. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is absolutely true. When my brother was young (think High School) he was a total shred beast. By the time he was fifteen years old he had zero issues playing anything. And I mean anything. Vai, Zappa, Petrucci, EVH, Lukather, Malmsteen, Jazz, Country, Classical, didn’t matter. If you had a recording of it, he could learn it overnight and shred it at rehearsal the next day.

He couldn’t write or improvise music very well, but he had the chops and theory knowledge to parrot literally anything. Perfectly.

Fast forward to now, he’s in his 40’s and although he’s always played, he never did it full time. He went to school. A lot. He kept himself busy doing other things and always played “for fun”. All the hours he used to spend practicing as a teenager (sometimes 12-14 per day) he spent doing other things.

Now? He’s still the best guitar player I’ve ever heard. For playing copy and cover stuff. Nobody else even comes close. But he traded in shreddy crazy technique riddled stuff for fun a long time ago.

He used to hate simple music. He wasn’t interested in playing anything he considered less than physically challenging. At one point, he couldn’t find anything challenging so he quit playing for a couple years and went to luthier school. Because that was hard.

Last time I was at his house down in Texas he was not playing shreddy. He can still play about 88 times faster than I can if it’s called for, but his speed and technique are NOTHING like they were in 1990. He just says “yeah... I can’t play that stuff anymore.”

gkterry, gitold, Cali Dude and 3 others like this.
  18. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

I play better than ever, as I approach my 60th birthday. I still suck, but not as much.

gkterry, El Marin, RedRock and 5 others like this.
  19. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

good luck with that, greg. are you having a fusion or a laminectomy or both?

gkterry likes this.
  20. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I've watched some really talented blue grass musicians as they have aged. Primarily my dad and my uncle. They could play anything with strings and they could listen to a part of a recorded song and be able to play the entire song by ear without even listening to the whole song.

Both of them started to lose their dexterity at 80. It probably started a year or two before that, but really became noticeable about their 80th birthday.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.