Knopfler in 1979

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mark Davis, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Roli

Roli Banned

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya I definatly didnt write any of that stuff about the guitar I thought that was pretty easy to figure that out just adding more info about his gear.

3. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

Well, I eventually got to sleep last night...
    Woke up this morning, sort of.
    It's rainin' like hell over here.
    So fishin's out & I'm back here jumpin' between Knopfler & Beck clips & havin' a pretty good time just the same.

4. born2tele

born2tele TDPRI Member

Man I could listen to his guitar forever.
    Early Dire Straits are gold!:D

5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My personal favorite

In the mid eighties Knopfler played a Red Schecter Strat copy which he now says he detested the feel of because of it having a "shred" neck. But then again seeing him playing that Schecter inspired me to get a Red and White strat too...

Knopfler playing that Red Schecter live and here's his backline consisted of Soldano amps and that sound he got from them was just heavenly. Note also that the view of the headstock mounted camera reveals that the neck of that guitar indeed has a very flat profile. Too bad that the audience is just hooting and whistling through this moving performance.

And here's Knopfler playing that same song on his Les Paul showing that it's indeed "all in the fingers"

6. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

One of the things I love about this forum is when someone starts a thread that reminds me to go back into my record collection and find the gems that get buried in there with the passage of time.

These first 2 Straits albums are great for sitting alone at night with your strat (sorry all you tele heads here!!) and trying to cop MK's licks with your bare fingers - and then going to bed totally frustrated!!

7. Danno

Danno Tele-Holic

Saw them in '79 in Charlotte. Only a few hundred people at the show. I was 13 at the time and it was the first concert I ever stood front row. Great show and I seem to recall them playing a number "Twisting By The Pool".

Some chap named Ian Gomm opened the show.

8. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

Great player!
    Mark and his DS was my very first guitar influence, and the first records I ever bought.

9. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Man, oh man, after all these years of listening to this band they still hit me in the heart. Great playing, great songwriting, great tone. Wonderful!

The strap button thing is truly weird. Quite by co-incidence, I have a ketchup red Strat that has a strap button on the back of the upper horn. When I had more tummy, it helped it balance over the gut better, and I could use the same strap-lock equipped strap that I use on the Dot, and (though it's no benefit) it would hang more like a Tele. I've never equipped other Strats like that, just the Knopfler-esque one, and I never knew until today that it was similar. Weird.

Mike Bruce

10. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the reason why Knopfler had the strap button on the back was because he played a Gibson SG prior to getting the strat and maybe it was his way to converting to the Fender.

11. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

The fingers, the heart, the soul & maybe even the underpants...
    But his sound is always unmistakable, no matter what he's playing.

12. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Absolutely, bosstone. I have played in bands (as a bassplayer) with a few MM players "back in the day", and thought they sounded pretty damn good.

13. bosstone

bosstone Tele-Afflicted

If I wasn't already fairly set up for amps, I would be taking a hard look at the 112RD-50. They are plenty loud and really sing when cranked. They have a great blues sound. Do a You Tube search for Chris Cane and you can hear some good examples of their sound. Blues guys have been grabbing this model up left and right and though it is the least powerful of the MM amps, it is the most sought after. It is a nice small package that is built about as well as any amp you could find.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.