Knobs: They absolutely must be out of the way

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I doubt Strats will catch on anyway.

The way they expect you to not hit the knobs when you strum over the jack is nuts. Why couldn’t Leo put the knobs up by the neck or below the middle pickup? Nobody strums there.

Seriously, admit it. The real problem is using lame round knobs instead of the all glorious chicken heads. If we all switched to chickens that would totally rock.

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
I agree with the OP. I frequently turn down a Strat accidentally when playing it, and it is the only guitar that has this issue. It's one of the reasons I have never really bonded with the design.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
To each his own:
Stratocaster = absolute best guitar for knobs/switch.
I want everything to be like that.
Still waiting for a Belly Cut Tele with control plate angled to simulate a Strat.

The Gibson 4 knob arrangement has to be the least ergonomic layout out there.

davidge1

Friend of Leo's
I always disliked Strats because that knob is right where my pinky wants to go and the "contour body" always make the guitar flip upwards when I'm standing up playing it. But I think that if you play a guitar all the time, your body adapts to it. I'm sure I could get used to playing a Strat.

Si G X

Tele-Afflicted
Depending on where and what music you are playing.... They are often kind of unnecessary.

I'm down to tone and vol with no switch, but I'm starting to wonder if I really need them.

digitalMagnetics

Tele-Meister
"I have to contort my hand in all sorts of weird and uncomfortable ways just to play the simplest things."
Sounds like you are experiencing something that can be fixed with effort rather than a crippling design flaw of the instrument.
May I ask how long you have been playing?

24 years.

Did I mention that my strumming hand always hits a Strat's middle pickup as well? The design is just an ergonomic nightmare for me. Too much stuff in the way.

To be clear: I didn't say I couldn't play what I want to play on a Strat. I can. It's just that playing one isn't fun because my right hand is constantly dodging obstacles.

It's kind of like how Cormac McCarthy minimizes the use of punctuation in his prose. Dude knows how to type a period. He just prefers - and these are his words - "not to clutter up the page with funny little marks."

I prefer not to clutter up my strumming hand's path with knobs and switches and ****.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Sometimes a knob stop or other slick knob .

Attachments

• knobYQ03544-01-3.jpg
    knobYQ03544-01-3.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 17

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Sounds like some people here should design and build their own guitars. Perhaps consider Jazzmaster-style roller pots and slider switches.

Yet another option is simply to remove the knobs. You wouldn't be the first.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Amen!
I generally don’t use, or like potentiometers.
Electric guitars sound best “dimed”, IMO.
They’re usually in the way of my picking hand.
I’ve been known to remove, move, and disable them.
Stupid knobs!;)

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I just rewired my Strat to one vol one/tone and got rid of that stupid knob near the bridge pickup.

I don't like the position of the pickup selection on LPs either.

AND ANOTHER THING . . .

I like things simple. I can maybe see why a LP would need 2 volumes. But 2 tones? Just too many knobs.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
There is nothing wrong with leaving strats to other players and moving on to guitars that suit your playing style. A let's of people are fine with the strat design and prefer it over Les Pauls, Teles and what not :)

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Did I mention that my strumming hand always hits a Strat's middle pickup as well?

I've heard this from other people as well but I don't understand how this happens. Does the tip of your pick hit it?

I totally understand the other complaints about Strat controls.

Gene O.

Tele-Holic
The controls on my main gigging guitar - a MIM Roland Strat - are very touchy, and I have had issues knocking the selector switch out of the neck position and accidentally reducing my volume to next to nothing while strumming. A little extra concentration has helped, but I'm going to replace the volume and tone pots with some higher torque pots and replace the 5-way selector switch with a 4-way, eliminating the middle pickup position (since I never use it on its own). Just a little extra stiffness on the controls should be enough to help keep me where I want to be without having to think about it too much.