1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Knobs question

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Wallaby, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I built and installed a new wiring harness in my ES. Experienced the whole "ship in a bottle" exercise not once, not twice, but 3 times ( spacing to tight, broke a pot shaft, hallelujah! ). I *used* to think I knew how to wire a guitar....

I took my time getting the fit correct - pointers are perfect, switch is aligned perfect, barrels are level with their nuts, really nice soldering job if I do say so myself, nothing visible through the f-hole, and it's dead-quiet, I am very pleased!

There is a fly in the ointment - the existing knobs ( Top Hat Bell Reflector ) are now sitting slightly proud of where I'd like them. I used CTS short-barrel pots which are correct for an ES.

Does anyone have any guidance for helping me get my knobs slammed?

I am honestly thinking of breaking out the Dremel. Or maybe a dowel with a tiny patch of 80-grit stuck on the end, boy-scout style. Or maybe chuck that into a drill to go fast.

I can't add washers underneath, there isn't any excess thread to play with.

The diameter seems fine, nice and snug.

Thanks!

2. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Hollow body guitars are a pain to wire!

If I absolutely didn't want to take it apart again, I'd use a small file to shorten the pot shafts. No power tools should'nt take too long. Careful and slow that's the way to go.

Skydog1010 and 6stringcowboy like this.
  3. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I've used a Dremel and a cutting wheel for that a couple of times with no issues.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Take an extra dose of your OCD meds for a few days.....;)

dougstrum likes this.
  5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think Doug is correct; nice and slow with a file. You could use a dremel, or a random orbital sander, but there's so many things that could go wrong, yikes. Protecting the body is the challenge. Let's see some pictures, please.

dougstrum likes this.
  6. Wallaby

Thanks for the tips.

I'll get a photo and attach it.

I'm still not sure what I'll do - I would like about 1/16". Given that the pots are in a hollow-body, I'm not sure what is worse - screwing up the pots or screwing up the knobs. At least the knobs are on the outside.

7. Wallaby

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.