Knobs for split shaft vs. solid shaft

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by SixStringSlinger, Aug 19, 2019.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm looking at a set of knobs (heh heh heh) that specifies they're made for solid-shaft pots. Is there any reason they wouldn't work on a split-shaft pot? They're secured via a set screw on the side of the knob.

2. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

You can get sleeves to fit over split shafts, but you might not need them. You should be able to get the set screw to seat in the edge of the split. That would make it very secure.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

You can make them work on split shaft pots, but it is not ideal.

You can make sure you tighten the set screw such that it drives right into the split in the shaft. But this means that if you rely on the set screw as a sort of knob pointer (as I do), then the only way you can orient "10" where you want it to be is to rotate the entire pot before tightening the pot nut.

Doing it this way also results in the knob being slightly eccentric as it rotates (because the split shafts do not tightly fit the shaft holes in solid-shaft knobs).

You can fill the split in the shaft with metal shim stock, so it doesn't collapse no matter where you point the set screw. But you still have the eccentricity problem.

You can buy little brass adapter sleeves from All-Parts. They slip over the split shafts, effectively making them solid shafts. You can orient the knobs however you like this way. The only problems are that they don't hold extremely tightly, and the brass adapter sleeves can get stuck in the knobs. So you have to tighten VERY hard, and possibly ply the bushings out if you ever want to use the same knobs on solid shaft pots. But over all, this is the best route IMO. It eliminates the eccentricity problem, and lets you orient the set screw any way you want to.

Personally, I prefer to just replace the pots with solid shaft ones. But if I have to adapt, I will use the little brass bushings from All-Parts.

Andy B, Milspec and SixStringSlinger like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

They often sit cocked on a split shaft. You can make it work but it's not ideal.

Chunkocaster, moosie and Milspec like this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Like has been noted, they will often be crooked.

howardlo likes this.
  6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Brass bushings for a better fit. And you don't run the risk of breaking one of the sides off the split shaft.

Got mine from Philadelphia Luthier Supply. I'm sure Angela, Darren Riley and Allparts carry them.

Make sure you order other things you might need with them. They are not expensive but the shipping will be way more than the cost of the bushings.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

8. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've also experienced the knobs sitting crooked because the split shafts have a thinner area below the knurling, and the set screw often hits the edge or the angle there pulling the knob down on the side where the set screw is. It depends on how low the set screw is on the knob.

9. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks all. I ordered the brass bits and they work fine. Took a little push to get the knob to sit as low as it's supposed to, but since I got through that and tightened them up, everything's been solid.

10. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Take an old credit card and cut it so that it fits in the split on the shaft, then install the knob.

11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

There's also Tele-style knobs that work with the fluted shafts. I ended up just keeping a variety of knobs so I can use whatever pots I have that will work for what I'm doing. For whatever reason, I typically will have 250Ks for Strats more often than not, and also usually have 500Ks with the split/fluted shafts, too. Despite mainly having Teles in my collection, I typically don't stock spares of the solid shaft 250Ks.

I've never ended up getting the bushing/adapter things, but would think the appropriate knobs wouldn't cost that much more. There also seems to be a bit of variety with the knobs for the fluted shafts - they come in at least two different sizes, and some have a "dimple" marker (with options for the marker being either colored or not).

I guess the ultimate flexibility would be to have all three options - knobs for solid or fluted, and the adapters/bushings, too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.