Knife sharpening anyone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by brokenjoe, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+ 1

How do you keep the angle consistent by hand? Practice.Practice.Practice.

Everyone sharpens a knife differently, and different sharpening systems all work to some degree. Being resourceful and knowing how to use what you got yields better results than some schmuck with a 500$ arkansas stone.

However, I feel hand sharpening on a quality diamond or wet stone is the way to go.

2. jdm61

jdm61 Tele-Holic

The bad news is that you may be shortening the life expectancy of your highly unobtainable carbon steel Sabatier unless you know someone that can eventually reprofile it for you.

3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hey Joe,

Where you goin' with that knife (sharpener) in your hands?

What did you end up getting?

The suspense! The SUSPENSE!!

Cheers,
    Geoff

4. dijos

dijos Tele-Afflicted

Ok, who was/is a member of KF or BFC here?

5. cpeters01

cpeters01 Tele-Meister

This http://www.speedysharp.net/ is a great little piece of work but I'm not sure if i would use it on a really expensive knife. It is perfect to have in a tool box for pocket knives and field work but it is not quite precise enough for the precision blades. You can use the speedy sharp on stuff like axes and finger nail clippers as well to get an edge back on them...

6. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

Sharpening/honing a blade is like tuning a guitar ... it takes a while to master. No matter how many gadgets one owns. The quality of the steel in the blade is what makes or breaks a good one.

Anyone try those ceramic blades?

7. longbow

longbow Tele-Holic

I'm a member of the a bunch of the knife forums cause I like sharp things like I like guitars and amps and longbows. To the OP you can register at the BF's or the Jerzee Devil forums and get excellent advice etc.etc. I just picked up a Alex Shanarra ARS folder in BG42 that was about as dull a butter. Now you can shave with it. Took a bit of time to get that sharp bite the damn thing is scary now! I love it and has been my edc for a good 2wks now. Matter of fact I like it so much I would trade my beloved VC50 for two more them! thanks

8. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

While this thread lasts, was anyone into throwing knives ... you know .. a kit?

I had a couple of sets as a teenager, but don't know what happened to them. Eventually, I got into throwing a Swedish hatchet 30 years later which I still have.! hehe It's an art and a whole lot of fun in the woods .. a bit like a bow and arrow thing ... not to kill anything ... just to get it right ... like darts. I used standing deadwood for practice.

9. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Keep in mind also that good Japanese kitchen knives come with Ryoba edges (a bevel on each side) and Kataba edges (a single bevel) where the knife is intended for either right or left handed use, but not both!

Here are some tips

10. jdm61

jdm61 Tele-Holic

There is a new forum called Knife dogs that is good too. As for that BG42 folder, just a BIT of time to bring it back from the dead? Thats some hard stuff!;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.