1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

KMD Stereo Chorus...worth trying to fix?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Okieactor, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

I was gifted this chorus. So far, signal passes, switch activates the light, but I am pretty sure the effect is still bypassed.

looking inside, nothing jumps out. How good are these, and if it’s worth it, where would I start in diagnosing the issue? CB00AE5D-9E1D-491D-B1C8-A3104478E3EF.jpeg

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Never heard them, but worst case, you end up with a functioning stereo chorus pedal or still have a broken one.

Go for it if you're tempted.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I won't be very helpful, but I have a KMD phaser that sounds nothing like any other phaser. Your pic is the 2nd KMD pedal I've ever seen.

4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I’d never seen a KMD pedal before, but my first big amp, circa 1987-88, was a solid state KMD GS130D 2 x 12. It was big and loud and got me through college.

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m 99% sure KMD = Kaman Music.

Back in the day they were the international distributor for Applause, GTX, Ovation and Takamine. Their house brand was KMD. They made a line of inexpensive, imported guitars and basses, amps, pedals, and even some PA gear.

It was really mostly cheap, generic stuff. It would be worth it to fix it if it’s just a practice project to learn how to work on stuff. I wouldn’t spend money to try and have someone experienced fix it.

Okieactor likes this.
  6. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

With the used pedal market what it is now its definitely worth fixing.

7. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Inside it is VERY Boss-like (probably obvious from the pic.) Even looks like some of the parts could be the same, like the power jack that slots into the enclosure and the switch looks the same.

100% through-hole, obviously, I guess.

I just wouldn’t know where to begin? Do a flow-through of connections at jacks and switches?

8. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

7D66D80D-D50A-4C41-A099-3DB18C5FB7AF.jpeg 32BD4710-C7C7-4955-9EC9-CA698C1733B5.jpeg B82A08F8-188A-4F41-A2F9-F180DED418A6.jpeg BD1709FA-24A0-43D9-A3BF-B9F7B52CBA5A.jpeg

pics, in case they are helpful.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.