1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Kluson Round String Tree/Retainer

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Phrygian77, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I decided to get some "No Line" Kluson turners for my latest build, ordered straight from WD. So, at the same time, I grabbed one of their round string retainers. The last one of these I used was a Fender Pure Vintage part. I noticed that it came with a Philips head screw, but other than that, it seems identical to the Fender part.

PXL_20210304_174219096.jpg

Bedder18 and Fendereedo like this.
  2. Phrygian77

Funny how a thread like this gets zero attention, but "pineapple on a pizza..."

3. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I know some of the alternative designs are supposed to work better and all......but I prefer round string trees and I cannot lie......

:D:p:lol:

oldfish, Phrygian77, Bedder18 and 2 others like this.
  4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

It does look identical to the Fender part, yes. Any price difference?

It looks like it's half way between the Rutters 1950 and 1951 versions:

https://ruttersguitars.com/1951-string-tree-2

Only a little less expensive.

I'm a big fan of WD. I had a defective Kluson tuner and they took care of me. I give them as much praise as I can for that. Good business practices deserve being rewarded with word of mouth testimonials.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

OMG, a Phillips head screw.

Fendereedo and Phrygian77 like this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Cool, I'm not a luthier but I mod things and try not to ruin them. I get the vintage round retainer from Mojotone. Looks similar. I like the look.

7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve always preferred this style too.

8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer the vintage butterfly type, but I've got a round retainer on my CVC, which I think is pretty sturdy. I had it spare, and didn't have the butterfly, I don't even remember buying it either lol.

9. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I think sometime design changes are done for the heck of it.

You know some new hire at Fender comes on board and the first day of work nobody knows what to do with the new hire so they say : Let them design a new string tree for the Tele" and the new hire goes to town with their heart and soul. At the end of the week the design is presented and the person in charge isn't aware that a new string tree was requested and not wanting to appear out of touch, and assuming the new person was hired to solve a problem signs off on it........... and so it goes. The round string tree worked perfectly, maybe with some minor tweaks.

Bedder18 likes this.
  10. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

If someone is making close observations of my non-vintage guitars....and they dare tell me my string tree isn’t period correct...they’re getting the boot.

But on a restoration? Yeah, that’s a good tip OP. Looks identical to the early ones.

I don’t know why, but I’ve always preferred the look of the round trees. I have the Callaham ones because I just do...no particular reason other than vanity and aesthetics. The only butterfly tree I have is on a 72 Custom RI. Really nothing wrong with the old design, IMO.

11. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I need to change the cheap butterfly tree on my Bullet Special to one of those. I just like the look. Although I would use a Robertson screw.

Bedder18 likes this.
  12. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I like both the round and the butterfly. And just to get this out of the way, not only are these "over engineered", they are ugly:
    [​IMG]

Phrygian77 likes this.
  13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Fender calls them "roller" string trees.

Nothing on them rolls.

There are no moving parts.

14. Phrygian77

I've used some of the Callaham stuff. I have their ferrules on my Esquire. They're stainless steel, like most of their parts. That guitar sounds great, despite the fact the ferrules are not CRS. I don't mind stainless screws, but since stainless isn't authentic, I try to stay away from using it anywhere else.

I also have a Callaham nitro bakelite pickguard on my last build. It is a work of art! It matches up pretty well with the Warmoth body, but someone like @Ronkirn could tell it's not quite perfect to the contours. It's pretty darn close though.

I'm a big fan of Marc Rutters and Glendale. They both make a proper thickness CRS control plate, and they make the best knobs. Marc's strap buttons are also perfect. I also really like Glendale's set screw switch tips.

I've used both Marc and Glendale's saddles, but I'm starting to prefer the Glendales more. Marc's saddles sometimes have to be tweaked depending on the break angle, and I get less string breakage with the Glendales.

@jfgesquire
    I ordered one of Marc's round string retainers to see how it compares to the Kluson.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Bedder18 likes this.
  15. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

The one on my Logan must not be Fender. It has moving parts, and it looks much nicer than that picture. I like it.

Peegoo likes this.
  16. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

This is a roller that actually rolls.

[​IMG]

17. Phrygian77

I usually want to use what's period correct. I haven't really had an issue with either. I'd say my biggest gripe with the butterfly tree is that they can spin out of place.

18. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I've read complaints that the two sides don't roll independently.

Seriously.

The internet is a strange place.

Peegoo likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I liked the vintage round trees. I dont remember mine have the deep countersunk top though. How thick is that thing? what does the underside look like?

There's a guy with a supposed '56 string tree on Ebay, but it's the butterfly type... is that correct? I thought the old trees up until 57? 59? were round? Or what years were they round?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  20. Phrygian77

The underside looks normal, just like the fender one. When I have time, I'll take some pictures.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.