Kluson Deluxe vs Pure Vintage vs Gotoh tuners

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by ratylird, Jun 2, 2021.

1. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

That's a rather definitive visual colaboration or clarification ..[thank you]......

Would I be correct that the F stamped turners were actually manufactured by Kluson exclusively for Fender?

I have been tempted to straighten the winder shaft on Top E, but it causes no issue other than looking worse for wear.....it is some 50 years old & been bent for 30 years

Derek

P1210344.JPG

P1210346.JPG

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Your original F tuners were made by Schaller for Fender.

https://schaller.info/en/machine-heads/236/original-f-series-70-s

3. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

Thanks for that ......most dimensions at first appear to mirror OK, however the Schaller lists the post dimension of 6.0mm diameter, whereas the posts on my Tele are 6.37, or Imperial 0.250"

So if one component was produced from Imperial hot Rolled precision bar as 1/4" diameter would suggest a non-European manufacture, other important mounting dimensions of the Schaller would need to be rechecked

The overall height of the Schaller is 39.8mm, whereas my Tele is 38.6, however I acknowledge this is cosmetic only

Derek

P1210347.JPG

P1210348.JPG

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I had a 78 Telecaster with Schalkers. Also a 69 MIM ri. Although there's now F-tuners on things like Classic Vibes with non-Schaller cosmetic replicas the originals and up to noughties are identical. So close you can swap gears and shafts. The 78 had longer posts due to a thicker headstock but every part was interchangeable.

5. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Bending a tuner shaft is an excellent way to break it. I don't recommend it.

6. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

Yes, if I were to attempt to straighten I would strip the turner & expose the bend to cherry red gas heat, but is a very rare situation over 30 years when the bent E thumb head hits the thumb head of A

My previous comment..."was produced from Imperial hot Rolled precision bar as 1/4" is obviously rubbish, as the turner shaft or peg is produced from a larger diameter

Having said this, I cannot see Schaller producing turner shafts to an Imperial dimension, when their standard range is hard Metric....

7. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister

8. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister

9. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister

Sorry double post

velorex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.