Klon without losing an arm & a leg?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by JohnnyCrash, Mar 8, 2015.

1. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I don't mind building my own Klon clone, but I can't find any kits.

$2,000 for an original Klon is f@#%ing insane. No. It's insulting.

Any kits or even assembled clones you guys can recommend (EH Soul Food apparently used plastic shafted pots, so forget that one)?

2. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Mammoth electronics might have some grindcustomsfx chimaera kits left. Those are klon kits. If you want a PCB to start from, hit up aion electronics

3. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Although I've read that it's been discontinued, the BYPC Silver Pony is a very nice pedal if you can find one. GG also has a kit out but I have no first-hand experience with it.

4. Jubal81

Jubal81 Tele-Meister

Chimaera is phased out. There's a new and improved version coming pretty soon. Codename Tusk.

Also, I much prefer the Silver Pony values. Much more open sounding.

5. mustachio

mustachio TDPRI Member

I bought the Archer. I've had a Silver Klon, KTR, and Klone. Archer is EXACTLY like an original. Except it has a DC negative tip in, which is convenient. Plus, it's a small foot print. I used it for humbuckers and my Nash T-52 overdrive tone is with a Hand Wired Tube Screamer. Found the Tube Screamer in the used section of Guitar Center online for $150. The Archer sounds good with the Nash but it's smoother than the Tube Screamer.

Get the Archer. You won't be disappointed.

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I been gigging with a soul food for a while... never looked at the shafts on the pots... I just stuck velcro on the bottom and put it on the board. Lots of gigs and a CD... I never woulda known the pot shafts were plastic. :D

I think you can get a Klon KTR for under $300 if you look around if you want the "real thing" but I don't know if the pot shafts are plastic or not. :eek:

7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

They are out of stock

8. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I am after a boost/mild OD to use with another single channel amp. Klon kit/Klone or EHX Soul Food probably.

The only knobs I've had break or bend have been metal ones in all my years. I've built amps with saw to length plastic shafts and have 100% faith in them and their resilience.

I honestly can't hear $2000 worth of difference here either. In fact toward end, the EHX is owning the Klon - more transparent and not muddy.

Can save the money and build or get a decent valve amp like a Mark series Boogie or Lonestar - all pedal dirt sounds a poor cousin and synthetic compared to an amp with nice transparent gain.

Other than the EHX is there a fulltone that is close to a Klon? I like their OCD.

10. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Silver pony is very nice,I would contact BYOC and ask ,I did when It said they were discontinued and they were waiting on more parts and within a week I had one,I know when the new Klons are released some of theses clones are discontinued for awhile, but at least ask them they might even have a few pre built,s left,I exchanged emails with Haley at BYOC And she was very helpful, the parts list and instructions are still available.I built mine and cant stop using it.
    Great guitar gadgets has there version.
    Small bear has a version.
    I think any of these will get you close.
    I would also check Reverb I saw some Silver Ponys on there for sale,they pop up every so often on some of the classifieds on the other forums too.
    And if you see one dont hesitate because they go quick.I just missed one,not that I need two but its got me thinking I need to buy all of them!:p
    Jimbo.

11. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

btw the problem with most klon kits is parts values and types. almost all of them do "close enough" parts values and types so you get "close enough" sounds. If you want exact results, you're better off starting with the schema from freestompboxes where they did the original degoop and a PCB then sourcing the parts yourself.

btw, I'm skeptical of the validity of claims made by byoc and their silver pony values. At best, I'd consider it a mod. They never provided pictures of the degooped pedal and they pulled all their findings not long after people started questioning it.

12. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

Curious if you've owned or even played both? Any other klones?

Thing is, buying and deciding on pedals based on youtube "shootouts" from a vendor trying to sell the SF is pretty limited. I've owned and extensively played the Soul Food, along with an Arc Klone, Rockett Archer, Bondi Sick As, and KTR. The Soul Food isn't in the same league as any of the others, at least my copy through my rig. I ended up selling it a month after buying it. To me, the Archer offers the best of all worlds... seems to be the most balanced Klone I've played. Great with the gain up, good with the gain off as a boost. The Arc has something magic going on when you dial off the gain, and the bass boost is a great feature. But the Archer is also a little less money, and the small footprint is a bonus too.

13. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

The Soul Food is being played through the Klons buffer so I dont see just what that video actually tells you. The Soul Food has a choice of buffer on or off so he may be playing through the SF buffer (or not) into the Klon buffer and on into into the effect so I'm confused.

14. Jhunt

Jhunt TDPRI Member

I second the Aion recommendation. I've built four of his Klon-like circuits. They sound extremely close if you use the 1N60 diodes. I've built several other pedals with his pcbs and they've all turned out great. His TS-9 board is awesome. The build documents show you several options for changing the diodes around. Best pcbs out there IMO

15. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

The Silver Pony was a fun build and a fantastic pedal. Highly recommended if you can get your hands on one.

16. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

I built the GGG kit and it sounds good. Better towards the lower end of the gain range, of course, just like I've always heard about the "real" Centaur. The "clean boost" function is very, very nice.

17. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Saw a GGG already assembled on eBay last night for the same price as the kit. Does it get any less expensive than that to try one out?

18. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

EHX Soul Food is $66.95 at most retailers.

$2000.00 / $66.95 = 29.

That's one to gig with and up to 28 spares. You'd have to break a lot of shafts before you went in the hole.

19. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

I've owned three or four Klons over the years - bought my first two new from Finnegan when they were relatively cheap. I love the pedal, but I sold my last one a few years back and bought an amp! Here's my take on the various pedals that I tried in its place:

EHX Soul Food - not even close
    Rockett Archer - pretty close to the Klon magic, more low end and more versatile. Great pedal.
    Bad Monkey - you gotta be kidding
    T1M Touch Drive - different, but very nice cleanish drive
    KTR - better than the Soul Food, not as good as the Archer

I've tried a couple of Klones - most were too bright and lacked the sweetness of the original. I still have one that I like pretty well, but I can't remember who makes it!

Nowadays I use a Barber Gain Changer for low gain sounds, and I love it.

The Klon is a great pedal, but it's so subtle that you can pretty much do what it does with your fingers and a guitar/cord/amp if you work at it. I just got tired of depending on it. I don't want to feel like I have to step on a pedal every time I want a little push in my sound. If I was rich I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but after selling my last one for $1200 I got a Henriksen Jazzamp and I had about $500 left over.

20. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Madbean pedals.com sells pcb's for a Sunking (Klon clone) and Kingslayer (improved Klon). I'm getting ready to build the Kingslayer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.