1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Klon KTR review

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by AlbertaGriff, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

KTR owner here. As a result of using one the engineer supplied when doing a recording last year. I had a good range of pedals at my feet and the KTR sounded and felt the best at the time. Expensive tho.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

The NUX Horseman is a favorite in my inventory...there may be a couple of others, but this one comes immediately to mind.

IMG_7024.JPG

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I recently built an Aion Electronics Refractor (K clone) and I love it. I use it as a lead boost for my Analogman KOT. Those two pedals sound glorious stacked together.

89463045-6A2F-4E3C-841A-B9F62EA15F7C.jpeg 67AA8B28-A329-449C-9E23-DFF4BBA169AD.jpeg

6stringcowboy and AlbertaGriff like this.
  4. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

I fully agree with this, as this was my experience. It is worth noting, as others have mentioned, that it may just be that Klon/Klone style pedals don't appeal to everyone, and they don't. But if you do like them, the RYRA is exceptionally close to the real deal. I've tried many klones and this one was exactly what I was looking for.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

As a recent klone owner, an Aluminum Falcon, I think a good Klon circuit is worth having in the arsenal. I like it right now with the gain low to beef things up across all the guitars, singles and humbuckers. It adds something really nice. Not a fan of the Soul Food or some other Klones I have tried...

fullsizeoutput_153.jpeg

Stiles and AlbertaGriff like this.
  6. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

Another Caline Pegasus fan here. It doesn't try to be something it isn't.

7. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

I find my Chellee Ponyboy to be in use more often than not. It doesn’t sound like a pedal so much as different amp settings. Boosted gain, shift in the eq, boost or cut to the mids... a little compression. It also does the more obvious overdrive sounds but it’s best sounds are less pronounced.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    sanfi4u likes this.
  8. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Another satisfied KTR owner - I've had mine for just over a year, and love what it brings to the party. I saw a rig rundown with Joe Perry, and tried the same settings that he had for his - sounds fantastic into a deluxe, and into the cleaner side of my Marshall too - Between that, and a Timmy, I pretty much have what I need at this point, and I have quit shopping for drive pedals.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Bill F. wanted an overdriven sound from his Twin Reverb at lower volume levels. OD pedals like a TS didn't provide that sound.

For a proper OD at lower volumes, it required tweaking the overall EQ - just keeping the EQ flat won't achieve that. Clearly, Bill F. didn't care for the soft clipping of a TS, which is why the gain control on a KC is actually a mixer, between no clipping, and hard clipping. The actual overdrive part - the clipping created by the pedal itself - was very intentional.

...In a sense, running the gain low on a KC is like bypassing all of the circuitry that is the heart of its design.

So it's kind of funny that one of the main klone applications is always on / mild boost / transparent / etc.

Actually, there's lots of folks who've relegated all sorts of proper ODs to the same use. But it's still funny that the KC also ended up being used that way, at least to me.

Danjabellza likes this.
  10. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I wonder where Bill F. set the gain on his Twin.

I have a Tumnus Deluxe. With pedal gain at zero, it makes a clean amp sparkly (or a weak pickup thicker). Wind up the pedal gain and the sound gets...more specific, certainly not "transparent." It's a great sound, pushing an amp that's already producing some grit. But into a clean amp with ample headroom, the Tumnus's gain is too focused for me; for that application, I prefer the Timmy.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  11. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

So much forum hype about the Klon, I drank the Kool-Aid and went on a search. Particularly for goosing my SF Twin which is supposed to be what it was designed for.

I went through a few of them, all were very similar, and ultimately I decided the Klon sound is not for me. I found the sound to be more of a rock/90's Alt sound, just not my bag. Just in case I was missing something, I kept my favorite one, the Pedal Monsters Klone, and I often rotate a second transparent OD to go alongside my Greer Lightspeed, but this one never makes the cut, partially due to its size.

IME it was just another waste of time and money from following the forum hype trains. I've had to learn this for myself, and it's not all bad, I suppose I enjoyed the hunt. YMMV.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.