Klon KTR opinions?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by backporchmusic, Feb 21, 2020.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Does anyone own one of these newer, nowhere near as expensive or collectible Klons? I impulse bought a new one yesterday after I got an email from Cream City Music saying they had some in stock. I figured it would be a solid, good sounding pedal that will get me into that magic sound neighborhood better than my Soul Food, which I do not love.

Online videos are of course, tough to really get a feel for when we're dealing in subtleties of sound.

Anyone have one? Or some experience with one?

tah1962 likes this.
  2. edgejr

edgejr TDPRI Member

I've owned one since they first came out and can confirm that they sound exactly like the original Klons. I like them best in front of a cranked EL84-style amp. I haven't found as much success using it with Fender circuits or with my Matchless Chieftain (EL34), but I also don't take the necessary time to tweak and adjust. I lack patience.

EDIT: the best sound I've ever gotten with the KTR was with a Duo Jet (Filtertrons) into a cranked US tweed Pro Jr, which is a Vox/Marshall sounding EL84 amp. It was so much fun.

3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I have one, I like it, does what it was designed to do really well, which is to push a semi-cranked Fender-style amp over the edge into a pleasing smooth breakup. But I don't think it sounds great in front of a clean amp or an AC-15 -- I've got other pedals (hello, Timmy!) that seem to work better in that application. If you like your guitar & amp combo but just want "more," this will likely do the trick, though. Good luck! And don't plug it into an 18v adaptor! Don't ask me how I know!

backporchmusic likes this.
  4. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

JHS YouTube channel says the new one is exactly the same. That's from someone who knows circuits.

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Tried the red one recently
    The sound engineer at the recording studio had one on his board
    Sounded great thru an orange amp w el84.

backporchmusic and blueruins like this.
  6. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I just checked the online store for local dealer over here.
    They Finally had some in stock so I ordered one as well.
    Thx for the prompt.

7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Ive always wanted one and prepared to plunk down cash for its retail price. I have had a few klones to get a feel for what they do, and now Im ready to get the real thing, well at least that version.

8. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I’ve watched way too many Klone comparison vids at this point and one thing I’ve learned is that, in 2020, a proper sounding Klon copy isn’t hard to find. If you need a Klon and wanna support Bill Finnegan for giving the world the original, his KTR is the way to do it, but if you want exactly the same sound for a good bit less money, there are many reputable options that nail it exactly. I personally went with the Way Huge Conspiracy Theory. Sounds great, looks cool, and easy to find under $100.

No need for boutique Klones these days, imho, the secret code has been cracked and you can find it for much less than $300.

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Ktr landed today. A brief twiddle thru my practice amp, Roland cube 40 at bedroom level and I’m very impressed. I’m feeling that this will be an always on pedal at the end of my chain. Will try it at full vol tonight’s rehearsal.

10. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

It amazes me that people are willing to spend $2,500+ for an original gold, or silver Klon. In a full band mix, I doubt if anyone listening could tell if it was a real Klon, or one of the better clones like the Wampler Tumnus, etc. that you can pickup used for $90-$125.

For $2,500 you could buy a top notch guitar or amp!!

backporchmusic and OttoCorrect like this.
  11. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

Oh totally. Nobody should shell out over $1000 for ANY pedal. But even the KTR thing is overpriced imho. Dunlop does two klones between the way huge conspiracy theory and the mxr sugar drive and both could stump listeners in blind tests.

I understand wanting to support the original builder, but if budget is a concern, there are plenty of $100 options, both new and used, that will give you that sound exactly. Not close enough, *exactly*.

backporchmusic and tah1962 like this.
  12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Considering that the standardized way of using a KC or klone is not for heavy OD itself, this really shouldn't be surprising. And if the gain on many given klones is set set down low, it probably doesn't even matter if they are a 'better' one or not.

IMO.

13. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Meister

I would spend over $1000 for a pedal that is not a noise gate, but would make my amp completely silent of hum and buzz at all times! Not sure it's ever going to be built though.

14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I'm not crazy about the SMD construction. Although most would agree that SMD has little or no affect on tone, you're probably looking at some downtime if your pedal ever needs service. I bought a BYOC Silver Pony a few years ago. It does the Klon thing well enough for me and if anything should fail, I can fix it myself.

15. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

Edit - Posted in wrong thread!

16. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

6F6FBADD-30C3-4CDE-ABD2-B35DCA576DF2.jpeg I’ve had one for the better part of a year now - and have nothing but praise for mine.

into a Custom Deluxe Reverb that’s just on the edge of break up, it adds a definition and grit that I really love - it is assuredly an “on always” pedal there.

Running into. Li’l Dawg D-Lux, it pushes an already dirty tone further -

Single coils really sound good - but for me the serious juju happens with buckers. I set the volume to just a little over unity, the treble to just a notch over flat, and the gain to around 11 o’clock - the little d-lux really shines for blues and classic rock - think ZZ Top’s first couple of albums.

Some have downplayed it with a Marshall circuit, but I find that I quite like it there too -

since I added the KTR to my chain, I’ve taken away an OCD (more than 10 years on my board) a TS808, and a BD-2 that had all been used for different flavors - the KTR just sounds better to my ears.

I am considering a Timmy to stack with it, but question the need. I’ll try it when I get one, but feel like it isn’t necessary.

17. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

I use a walrus audio Messner for my klon clone type... always on pedal buyer beware very low gain just a little hint of break up

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.